Weight Gain and Anti-Depressants: Advice?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've encountered some series weight since starting anti-depressants more than 10 years ago and most recently after changing medications (5 times in fact) over the past year, I've noticed about 40 lbs. of weight gain. This has made things worse, mental health wise, as well as physically. My most recent medication change has even caused a 5 lb weight gain in less than 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ tips on how to successfully lose weight while taking anti-depressants or resources? I'm up for nearly anything. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm posting this in a few different forums, so apologies if you're seeing this more than once :)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Seriously talk to your doctor about your concerns. Some people do better by keeping carbs low.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There are also some antidepressants that in general don't cause weight gain. (I'm thinking wellbutrin specifically). Talk to your doctor about your concerns and see if other medications would work for you. Also as a side note: I find working out consistently really helps with my depression, especially in winter when it wants to rear its ugly head! Good luck! :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify the drugs themselves don't cause weight gain what causes the gain is the possible food cravings it give people so they eat more. I would speak to your doctor to see if you can either find drugs that don't cause this or find a way to combat this.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Just to clarify the drugs themselves don't cause weight gain what causes the gain is the possible food cravings it give people so they eat more. I would speak to your doctor to see if you can either find drugs that don't cause this or find a way to combat this.

SSRIs can decrease Basal Metabolic Rate in addition to increase appetite, increase cravings for carbohydrates, or decrease activity.

But even a decrease in BMR, while changing the math... is still math. You have to figure out your Calories in and calories out. It may mean that when you use a calculator such as the IIFYM or MFP, it may overestimate your maintenance calories.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am on them and have been trying to find the right one. I am on one right now that is notorious for Since this summer and trying a few I actually lost weight and went down to 102. I've been slowly trying to build my muscle up again and when I'm hungry I have lots of veggies, diet cocoa, gum, get involved in another activity. Now I'm at 109 and 12 percent body fat. My goal is to stay at 110. I feel healthy and strong at that weight. I'ts a bit low for some, I'm 5, 4 but I like it and that's all that matters. So bottom line do WHATEVER it takes to not go over your cals.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I actually quit taking my pills a few years ago. I was on mood stabilizers, anti depressants, and anti anxiety medication. After 2 major suicide attempts, struggling with my eating disorder and self mutilation, and just feeling terribly sad, I was removed from all pills while I stayed in the psychiatric ward of the loony bin. I found that I depended on the pills too much, and something minor in my life automatically became a mountain.
    My sister NEEDS medication and can't be taken off like I was. Talk to your doctor, get into a decent exercise routine and then see if you can lower your dosage any. It seems as Americans, were so quick to be medicated instead of feeling emotions.

Before anyone misunderstands, certain people do have to be on medicine because of illnesses. However, we live in a pharmaceutical society where doctors prescribe a pill instead of figuring out the root of the problem.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been on my ADs since a week before my diet started in March and I lost 75lbs at my lowest so it isn't an inherent weight gain, just an increase in cravings. I've been struggling with those lately which resulted on my putting a stone back on but I'm fighting against them now.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    From my 16 years of taking them, I've found that it is more important to get a good balance with the medication. Then, you feel better and feel more like exercising. Exercise is the key for me. I've been on Cymbalta or the generic Duloxetine for about 12 years now. Try not to overly stress about a pill making you gain weight. Try more to feel good enough to be able to do things about the weight gain.
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand sweetie. It's a *kitten*. You've gotten some really awesome advice from a lot of wise people already I have to agree that I agree with most, and don't have anything much different to offer. Exercise is a natural mood enhancer, when you get the urge to eat, go for a walk instead. If you start to feel really low, go for a walk or lift some weights, whatever you gotta do to just move. Sounds silly, but it does help. Definitely talk to your doctor. I found that I was more depressed on my anti depressants and sleeping pills. It bothered me that I needed pills to feel good, and like you, the weight gain was just wrecking havoc with me psychologically. Once I was able to form normal sleeping patterns I asked my doctor to start lowering my dosage to wean me off of them. While I decreased my medications I increased my physical activity. You'll figure it out girly, we have faith in you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Wrong. They absolutely do. They can change metabolism. They can also cause metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and diabetes which can all cause weight gain due to not efficiently using the hormone insulin.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Wrong. They absolutely do. They can change metabolism. They can also cause metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and diabetes which can all cause weight gain due to not efficiently using the hormone insulin.

Most of that is incorrect. There isn't an AD made that can cause diabetes. The metabolic changes are on the order of a few percentage points and completely manageable through paying attention to diet.

Use of AD is *correlated* with increased *risk* of diabetes, but there is no casual link.
  • dwjacobs
    dwjacobs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As many have said, talk to your doctor, because different conditions require different drugs, and individuals react in wildly different ways to the same drug. Whenever my moods go off, I look at my life style, and I usually see that I'm not exercising consistently, not eating correctly, and/or I'm making alcohol a daily habit. These habits can bring on Pre-Diabetes and then Type 2 Diabetes if not corrected.

Have you tested for blood sugar? Very recent studies have shown that a good exercise program often brings comparable or even better results than anti-depressants, but again, consult your doctor. If your doctor doesn't have a comprehensive approach that includes preventative care and life style counseling, then, find a different doctor.

Are you getting good therapy along with drugs? Unprocessed grief and anger can have deeply serious consequences for the body. I like to have doctors that aren't completely skeptical about drugs, but nonetheless have a healthy skepticism about overusing them. In most cases... "less is more." In some cases, meds are absolutely necessary. However, using life style changes to taper down or maybe even off, can be very helpful. Again, consult a good doctor and/or therapist.

Some here have mentioned decreasing carbs. I've found it to be true that a low carb diet helps me drop weight, improve energy, balance moods and even food cravings tend to disappear after a few days. I've come to believe that I'm a carb addict. The more I eat, the more I want. That cycle can be broken.
  • dwjacobs
    dwjacobs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As a list of daily habits...
    1) Walk 30 minutes a day, every day, so it becomes a habit. Maybe take one day off a week to simply relax. When daily walking has become a habit for at least 2 to 4 weeks, add 5 to 10 seconds of running for every minute of walking. I find even a bit of running will improve my mood more than just walking. Run/walks seem to be healthier and safer than just walking or just running.
    2) After a month of walking, every other day, add a simple workout with weights... light dumbbells are great.
    3) Study and begin practicing a low carb diet. I find minimizing carbs helps tremendously.
    4) Keep a log of your activities to become mindful of your habits. MyFitnessPal is the best I've found.
    5) Keep a daily journal/diary of moods, feelings, goals, thoughts... anything. Watch how your thoughts and moods change with a change in daily habits. Just write whatever comes to mind for 15 minutes a day. If that's hard, do 5 or 10 minutes a day. If it's easy, double the time to 30 minutes a day.
    6) Get a full night of sleep... every night. Tests have shown this is incredibly important for achieving the hormonal balances needed to effectively lose weight. If you can't sleep, meditate, or get up and write out what's on your mind, and once you're emptied of that, you'll probably be able to sleep. If you're a serious insomniac, study different methods that might help with this. Sleep deficiencies are often the source of so many of our problems.
  • Bebeharden
    Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you... all of you, for your wonderful advice. I'm meeting with a nutritionist this week and also purchased a book called "The Serotonin Diet" which talks about this exact topic. But thanks again everyone for your suggestions and sharing your experiences. It really means a lot :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a free natural antidepressant that helps you lose weight....