I can't afford to buy the right food...

Options
I'm in a financial crisis at the moment. I have two children and a partner and it's easier for me to grab a cheap pizza or frozen fish fingers.....
It's not good for me but I just can't afford to buy more. Could I have my portions and work out more?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Rice, beans, tuna, frozen vegetables, and sales make eating well not as expensive as many people think.
  • jodi_fletch
    Options
    I do like rice but I never know what to put it with
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad about cheap pizza, except they don't taste that great. However you certainly can afford to supplement it with some frozen vegetables or some homemade soup. It's just not true that it's expensive to eat a healthful balanced diet. You don't need to eat free range arugala
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Even if you have to buy the cheaper, unhealthier stuff, you should still be able to stick to your calories. I have the opposite problem - I stuck to my calorie goal at uni by eating microwave meals all the time, it was easy. Now my boyfriend wants to cook properly and every home-cooked meal seems to be twice the calories of its microwave equivalent!
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Google cheap healthy recipes you get lots of inspiration http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/cheap-and-healthy

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Go to an ethnic store and buy veg and lentils there. Channa dhal is cheap and nutritious, as are black beans which you soak overnight and boil for an hour. Add coriander leaves, limes, chili, oil, salt, red onion. Incredible. Processed and ready made foods are way more expensive. Go to Iceland and get the deals on frozen fish and meat.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    rice is cheap, pasta is cheap. you could make curries, bolognese - when i make mine, they are about 550 calories per portion. frozen veggies are the way to go - i always have them and i make a big pot of homemade soup every week for my lunches with chickpeas and broth in it so its filling. You just have to educate yourself on what to cook and how to cook it and get the family on board with eating better meals. Its actually more expensive for me to eat frozen pizzas and fish fingers since most of the stuff i make, i buy in 1kg packages so it lasts for ages.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, lentils, and split peas will take you far. They are inexpensive, healthy, and very filling. Make soups, you can use cheaper cuts of meat and no one will notice.
    Having a limited budget is not an excuse to eat badly, most of the convenience foods are more expensive than buying ingredients to put a simple meal together.

That said, there is nothing wrong with pizza and fish sticks if you like them. You can fit them into your diet, and eating less is ALWAYS cheaper.
  • kaylaaah88
    kaylaaah88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the frozen veggies. Eggs and banana are cheap also. I eat eggs as a source of protein all the time. Fast and easy. I saute some frozen veggies, preferably a stir fry blend, and then scramble some eggs in. Delish. One of my favorite cheap fresh veggies is cabbage. Sauteed as a side with some garlic, salt and pepper. Very few calories and a little goes a long way.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Soylent!

http://www.soylent.me/

I made a DIY recipe of Soylent that's going to cost me less than $150/month.
  • mhausler93
    mhausler93 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As others have said, frozen veggies, pasta, rice, beans are all inexpensive. You can also buy the frozen bags of chicken and have a few meals from one bag for about $

We have a local butcher here and we always buy our meat from him. Two weekends ago we bought 20 pounds of meat (chicken, ground sirloin, roast, bacon, etc.) and it was only about $65. We still have another 2 weeks or so of that meat left. Maybe see if you can find similar deals at a local butcher?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I saved thousand of $$$ by eating healthy. I no longer have to buy sleep apnea supplies or medications. With that being said you can save loads of money using coupons. Buy the Sunday Paper with all those ads and clip those coupons. You can do it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I just went to the store yesterday and store brand steam in the bag veggies were $ .89. One bag is 4 servings. So that is four servings of veggies for under a dollar. I don't eat fish sticks, but they are what 2-3 dollars for how many servings?

You just need to shop smart. Buy frozen veggies in bulk when on sale. Buy fruits and veggies that are on sale for that week. Look for the "butcher" deal of the week on chicken and other meats.

Teach your kids healthy habits now, so that they grow up with them.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't know how old your children are, or what you financial situation is, but you could see if you qualify for WIC benefits (women, infants, children under 5). If you do, you get money for certain foods per week (usually milk and other produce). Something to think about if you need it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi nearby? They always have the cheapest prices in my area.
  • summerprize
    summerprize Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jodi-fletch, I too am on a very tight budget but I make virtually everything myself and I don't spend hours cooking. Mostly I spend about 30/45 mins preparing healthy, cheap, interesting meals.

I have just made some delicious potato and onion soup which works out at about 150 cals a portion (less if you don't use the butter, just 'stock-fry' the onions and potatoes first). For added protein you can use a topping of grated cheese, or put some butter beans in it (these are cheap but healthy), just remember to add the additional calories. Make a big pot, put out some chunky bread (my husband makes all our bread) your family will love it, and it only takes 30 mins from start to finish and costs very little. Recipe here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potatosoup_11631.

You can make your own pizza base really easily with stuff you've probably got in your cupboard already, add some vegetables, or meat, a tin of tomatoes (these are inexpensive) herbs spices of your choice, and some cheese, serve with a side-salad of peppers, beansprouts, lettuce, tomatoes, etc, or maybe a jacket potato. You'll enjoy it better than a shop-bought one, so will your family.

It's all about planning and looking up delicious recipes (the Internet is a good source). You really can eat healthily, cheaply and lose weight without resorting to processed foods, which will cost you more in the long-run leave you feeling hungry, wanting more.

Good luck with your efforts, it will be worth it in the long-run.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try to buy meat in bulk (you can get freezer bags at the dollar store). Frozen or canned veggies and lots of rice and beans. This actually turns out less expensive then buying that pizza or fish sticks.
    For rice ideals: try adding some light coconut milk, chicken and veggies.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    If you have a partner and two children, you can save by buying in bulk For instance, my market had chicken breasts for 1.99 a lb., even cheaper than hamburger! Chicken breasts, rice, and frozen vegetables make a very good meal. Often, chicken leg quarters are under $1 a lb. As many posters above stated, pasta is an economical meal that goes a long way. Even whole wheat pasta is under $1.50 a box, and l lb. of pasta can feed a whole family and even have leftovers.
  • jodi_fletch
    Options
    I think the problem is I live in a little village and rely on public transport :/ ive done the steamed veg and stuff and I love fruit and pasta :) I think the answer to my problems is to bulk by the beans and pasta stuff then I can keep it for weeks at a time
  • brightmoth144
    Options
    There are many cheap dinner options that include whole, real, food for your family:
    Rice cooked in chicken boullian, chopped onion, peppers, black pepper. Serve with roasted chicken or fish baked in foil.
    Rice cooked in beef boullian, chopped onion, peppers, black pepper. Serve with flank steak (cheaper cut) or pork chops baked.
    Rice cooked with soy sauce, chopped onion, peppers, black pepper. Fry it in a teaspoon of oil and add an egg and scramble. Add peas.
    Rice cooked plain topped with pork or chicken baked with a can of 98% fat free cream of chicken soup and black pepper. Or top with either of those baked with lipton onion soup mix mixed with a little water or a can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom.
    Rice cooked plain topped with ham steak baked with a can of pineapple and a little brown sugar. You can thicken with corn starch to get a good gravy.
    Dried beans rinsed, soaked and cooked with chopped onion, peppers, carrots, frozen spinach, and seasonings to make soup. Adding tomato changes it to a new kind of soup. Try Sazon seasoning, Shan Indian seasonings, Cajun seasonings. I make a double pot of this once a week. You can add pasta or rice. (I don't 'cause I limit my carbs, but it makes a more filling meal for the family, so you can add it to theirs).
    Canned beans work too, no need to drain them first.
    Canned fat free refried beans, with salsa in tortillas. You don't need meat since there is enough protein in the beans.
    "Spanish rice" is good with this: Rice cooked in tomato sauce, with onion and peppers.
    Any kind of Breakfast foods for dinner.
    Tuna is cheap too. 98% fat free cream of mushroom and peas over toast. Or wrap in pizza dough and bake. Some cheese in it is good, but ups the calories.
    I wrap things in pizza dough often to add variety. Any meat with low fat cream cheese or laughing cow cheese, a sprinkle of parmesan, seasonings.
    Pasta is great too, if you can afford it. I buy the high protein to help with weight loss. I love jarred marsala sauce with mushrooms and chicken, but you can make your own with beef boullian, wine, mushrooms, a little soy or Worcestershire sauce and cornstarch. Pan fry chicken first in Pam, remove it, then make sauce.
    Good luck!