Can you count going to theme parks as a daily exercise quota.

Options
I'm just getting started with my daily exercise. I have to take it slow due to back injuries but I'm trying to do yoga and walk everyday. We have annual Disney passes and have been going once a week. Any ideAs on how to log my exercise for that? I've been doing walking at the slowest pace.

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking with MFP you can use "Walking, 2.0MPH, slow pace".
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You can count it. You'll sell yourself short, and not really be working on getting yourself set up for success, but sure. You can count it.

Why not?
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    You can count it. You'll sell yourself short, and not really be working on getting yourself set up for success, but sure. You can count it.

Why not?

Seriously?????? Oh my goodness. :o

A step is a step is a step. It doesn't matter if that step is in a gym or in a theme park, if it's done fast or if it's done slow. It's a step.

cgcain82 - We go to WDW every year. I get between 12K and 25K steps a day. I'm definitely getting some good workouts at WDW, even if they don't improve my running time. (But then, my hikes don't improve my running time and I still do them!)

I think your best bet, because of all the stop and go, is probably to get some sort of accurate pedometer, one that won't give you a thousand steps for riding Rock-n-Rollercoaster. Fitbit if you want to go fancy, just a decent Omrom or similar if you want to go a bit cheaper. That will give you your steps and from there you can figure how to log. (Side note: make sure your pedometer is accurately set for your step/stride difference if want to know mileage too!)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Do you have a step counter? Wearing my Fitbit on visits to Manhattan always earns me a few extra tasty snacks...when your step count approaches 30K, you know it's helping! (However, I always tend to retain a ton of water after those marathon walking days, so I never get to gloat at the scale when I get home, sigh.)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Why not?

A step is a step is a step. It doesn't matter if that step is in a gym or in a theme park, if it's done fast or if it's done slow. It's a step.

cgcain82 - We go to WDW every year. I get between 12K and 25K steps a day. I'm definitely getting some good workouts at WDW, even if they don't improve my running time. (But then, my hikes don't improve my running time and I still do them!)

I think your best bet, because of all the stop and go, is probably to get some sort of accurate pedometer, one that won't give you a thousand steps for riding Rock-n-Rollercoaster. Fitbit if you want to go fancy, just a decent Omrom or similar if you want to go a bit cheaper. That will give you your steps and from there you can figure how to log. (Side note: make sure your pedometer is accurately set for your step/stride difference if want to know mileage too!)

It actually does matter if it's done fast or if it's done slowly. Intensity matters - if you have a FitBit, you know this already.

Walking around an amusement park is generally a leisurely activity. I've done it and measured the difference from a normal day. So yes, while all steps count, unless you're using a pedometer every single day, they don't matter enough (nor is there an accurate way) to log. IMO.

OP, I only log meaningful and intentional exercise, because that makes the most sense to me. You can, of course, log it however you like. You'll probably earn some extra calories, but I don't think those calories are worth eating back. Again, all of this is my opinion and ultimately it's your decision. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Why not?

There's a difference between tracking steps and tracking exercise. Actually there are several differences.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Well, certainly 20-30K steps at a theme park isn't equivalent to running all that way, but it's still activity, as your end-of-day soreness will attest.

The biggest danger about Disney steps is when you let them take you from the Crystal Palace buffet to the Tortuga Tavern to the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Buffet.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It's pretty clear to me the OP isn't all that concerned with the technical aspects. Their activities are yoga, and walking. If walking at an amusement park is more activity than normal....then count it. Just be mindful of how much time you actually spend moving, and how much time you spend standing around.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Exercise is still exercise even if you found a fun place to do it.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Why not?

It actually does matter if it's done fast or if it's done slowly. Intensity matters - if you have a FitBit, you know this already.

Walking around an amusement park is generally a leisurely activity. I've done it and measured the difference from a normal day. So yes, while all steps count, unless you're using a pedometer every single day, they don't matter enough (nor is there an accurate way) to log. IMO.

OP, I only log meaningful and intentional exercise, because that makes the most sense to me. You can, of course, log it however you like. You'll probably earn some extra calories, but I don't think those calories are worth eating back. Again, all of this is my opinion and ultimately it's your decision. :)

I can't speak for others but when we go to a theme park the only leisure is sitting on the bench if you're waiting on the others to ride a ride. We like to get in as much play as possible for the money we spend so we do not stroll.

OP do you stroll? do you hustle? Do you walk at a moderate pace? If you don 't have a pedometer do you have a smart phone? You can use an app such as endomondo or moves to track your steps. I recommend endomondo because you can pause it while you ride the rides or when you sit down so it calculates your pace accurately.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    cgcain82 wrote: »
    I'm just getting started with my daily exercise. I have to take it slow due to back injuries but I'm trying to do yoga and walk everyday. We have annual Disney passes and have been going once a week. Any ideAs on how to log my exercise for that? I've been doing walking at the slowest pace.

I would say that walking at 2 mph is probably a good equivalent. Just make sure that you count only the time you're actually walking, not standing in line, sitting on a ride, etc.

You've gotten some grief here, but I think you should keep in mind Dr. Yoni Freedhoff's exercise mantra: "Some is good. More is better. Everything counts." Yoga is great gentle conditioning, and walking slowly is far better than sitting. If you can get your back injuries under control and add more vigorous exercise, that would be great, but for now, doing what you're doing is a big improvement over doing nothing.
  • dbmata
    Options

Yup.
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    There's a difference between tracking steps and tracking exercise. Actually there are several differences.
    Exactly. One major issue, particularly in newbies is the overreporting of effort, and then the happy eating of newly "earned" (albeit inaccurately) calories. Resulting in few results, or a full reversal in performance towards goal. That's an experience thing, sedentary, new to movement individuals will eventually learn it, and realize why others are saying, "you could, but it won't set you up for success."
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    You've gotten some grief here...
    Where? This has been a very kid glove friendly thread.

Or did you mean that people haven't been validating the OP? There's a difference, your assertion being wrong, the non-validation assertion being correct.
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Well, certainly 20-30K steps at a theme park isn't equivalent to running all that way, but it's still activity, as your end-of-day soreness will attest.

The biggest danger about Disney steps is when you let them take you from the Crystal Palace buffet to the Tortuga Tavern to the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Buffet.

LOL. Or let them talk you into both the school bread AND the glass of wine at Epcot.
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    I think part of the.problem may be that many people don't realize how strenuous a day at the WDW parks may be!

And as far as the OP is concerned, I stand.by it. This person is not looking to improve a run time. He/she are looking to improve physical condition after back surgery. That can be done walking 7 miles around the World Showcase as on a treadmill.

(I might have actually power walked the World Showcase a time or two. It's possible early in the morning in September. . .)
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol, theme parks aren't strenuous. I'm an old campaigner, having grown up at disney.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Take the exercise as a bonus, but don't log it. Worst case scenario, you drop a bit more weight than expected ;)
  • jacksonpt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's my take -

Is it steps/exercise to improve health and conditioning? Sure.

Is it exercise to help create a calorie deficit and lose weight? Not in my book.
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    Here's my take -

Is it exercise to help create a calorie deficit and lose weight? Not in my book.

Calories burn when you move. Even if you pass by Alice and Belle at the time. If you don't account for all calories burned for any activity, longterm you will never be able to know how many calories you actually use.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Thats why there are things like "Activity level: Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, Runs from attacking cougars on a daily basis."
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Here's my take -

Calories burn when you move. Even if you pass by Alice and Belle at the time. If you don't account for all calories burned for any activity, longterm you will never be able to know how many calories you actually use.

Thanks for the remedial lesson on energy expenditure. I'm well aware.