Strategies to stop night eating :-/

Options
I just started a new antidepressant that really keeps me up even if I don't take a nap. Consequently, I wake up every three hours. For some reason eating makes me feel stupid and I fall back asleep so I keep doing this. I have no problem during the days. Does anyone have strategies to keep youfrom making bad choices at night?

Replies

• minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That was the funniest voice text error ever!! Eating does not make me feel stupid LOL it soothes me and helps me go back to sleep. I'm still laughing.
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    LMFAOOOOO I was thinking, "Dang, she's hard on herself!"

Go for a healthy night snack. Something crunchy. I will eat nuts or lettuce. Yeah, I'm weird with the whole lettuce thing. I just LOVE lettuce. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    That was the funniest voice text error ever!! Eating does not make me feel stupid LOL it soothes me and helps me go back to sleep. I'm still laughing.

Lol, I kinda figured that's what you meant by "stupid" anyway.

Do you think the sleeping pattern/symptom will go away soon? If at the end of the week you're still in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. I think it's important to take care of yourself now, especially starting a new medication. You could keep something yummy and lower in calories around to snack on if you're finding that you are eating too many. You could choose a more moderate rate of weight loss to allow yourself the extra calories as well.
  • Marxytron
    Options
    ReFocus on the things u want to achieve... "Mind over body"... just my opinion
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    For some reason eating makes me feel stupid and I fall back asleep so I keep doing this.
    Lol.

Perhaps save most of your cals to eat at night instead of the day.
  • qnewstart
    qnewstart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recall a sponsor at OA saying that as long as you have the calories leftover it was okay to ear them at off hours. This was when I was working long hours and wanted to snack.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have been known to keep some of my trigger foods in the car. There is no way I am going to walk down 2 flights of stairs to an apartment complex underground parking structure in my pj's to get food.
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have been known to keep some of my trigger foods in the car. There is no way I am going to walk down 2 flights of stairs to an apartment complex underground parking structure in my pj's to get food.

LOL!! That's a riot! I wish I had that option! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    makes you feel stupid tired LOLOL that was funny

no help, really, other than maybe make 'treat bags' with healthy options (nuts, pita chips, whatever) and build them into your calorie allowance (ie instead of having 2 snacks during the day, save them for night). You can make your own prepackaged 100 calories bags or be lazy like me and buy them ;)
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eat more during the day.
  • chimebird
    chimebird Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pick a range of hours and don't eat outside that range. For me it's 12-8. I have no problem eating a day's worth of food in that window so I'm usually full enough that I don't feel restricted the rest of the time. If it was a matter of willpower, I probably couldn't do it, but this keeps me full all day so it's not too hard. I used to struggle with binging at night but I don't after picking up this habit.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    makes you feel stupid tired LOLOL that was funny

no help, really, other than maybe make 'treat bags' with healthy options (nuts, pita chips, whatever) and build them into your calorie allowance (ie instead of having 2 snacks during the day, save them for night). You can make your own prepackaged 100 calories bags or be lazy like me and buy them ;)

That is a fabulous idea. Just plan for it just in case. :)
  • Yogafit28
    Yogafit28 Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Put a sticker for every day on the calendar you don't eat after a certain time (8:00?) and do that for 30 days to keep track so you can feel proud of yourself when you reach that goal! Its just a habit if you do it for long enough it will break and you will stop getting hungry at night. I never used to eat a night but I developed a habit living at home and I'm just starting to break it but its getting easier. I just say no completely not even a little cheating and have some tea :) If you really really need something have a piece of fruit instead of heavy foods.