Pooping regularly.... What to you do to finish your book in the bathroom?

Options
I will take any nutritional advice since I think I am eating healthy but I do not poop more than 3-4 times a week.....

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Plenty of water, fiber and fat - are you eating a lot of low- or non-fat foods? Often people start "eating healthy" and try to cut all the fat out of their diet. We need fats for many reasons, but they can help in the bathroom. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't see any water tracked in your diary, so if you're not drinking much, I'd start there. But trying increasing your healthy fat intake as well - avocados, olive and coconut oils, raw nuts, fish - heck put some butter on your bread or veggies.

Good luck!
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you Amy Rhubarb. I do drink water but probably not as much as I should. I somehow forget to put it into my diary. I eat about 40-45 grams of fat daily. Fiber wise, I eat a good amount of brown rice and avocado (mexican roommate influence), but not too many other fiber-rich foods.

Is also sodium unhelpful with this? Or does it only affect water retention?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many different things - I could talk poop for days. I'm on some medications that seriously screw up my schedule.

My routine now is: at least 25g of fiber a day. Plenty of fat in my diet - this is as important as fiber, IMO. A magnesium supplement and a probiotic daily. If I do more than two days with no poop, I start on a stool softner for a few days, to get things regular again (this is my pharmacists advice).

I also use a stool in the restroom - having your feet up puts you in a more natural position and helps move things along.

And, of course, water.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Some people just aren't daily poopers. I've never been one, ever. I used to go a week or so between poops and that was normal for my body. Now, 3-4 days a week is normal for me (this change happened after I had my gall bladder removed).

I make sure I get enough fat, fiber, and water as mentioned above. I also find that if I've gone more than two days, drinking my coffee will **ahem** stimulate the process. Drinking coffee really does keep me more regular.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Canned pumpkin worked like MAGIC for me for awhile.

Then I got Vitamin A poisoning (carotenemia) from it and had to stop. It doesn't work so well anymore, several years later. When my IBS cycles that way I'm pretty much dependent on suppositories. (Oral laxatives might as well be placebos for me.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Plenty of water, fiber and fat -

This ^^

Though it doesn't have to be plain water. In fact, coffee, tea or adding lemon to your water might help.

Also, be sure to get enough insoluble fiber, as that will help more with this problem than soluble.
  • giannigreco83
    Options

Also, be sure to get enough insoluble fiber, as that will help more with this problem than soluble.

Hi, how do you personally get more insoluble fibre? any specific foods?
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal for breakfast most mornings, and that always seems to get things moving for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Hi, how do you personally get more insoluble fibre? any specific foods?

No, not really. Vegetables, beans, whole grains. Honestly, I don't pay much attention since my diet is pretty high fiber in general and I've always been regular.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have the other problem. :( Had every test on earth. No answers. I should have stock in the company that makes imodium.
  • BBruhn
    BBruhn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're not constipated, I'm not sure it's a problem to not poop daily, is it? Ask your doc. If you are constipated, track your fiber here. It's amazing when you start to look, how easy it is to up your fiber with food choices. Lentils, avocado, oranges = yes. Lettuce = not so much. Meat, egg, cheese = none.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I think I would echo the above posters:
    • Lots of water
    • Lots of Fibre

Great sources of fibre: Add wheat germ to your meals (I add it to my breakfast yoghurt and sometimes to my coffee)
    fotolia_8446646_XS.jpg?w=442&h=442&keep_ratio=1
  • isstillarose
    isstillarose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's a good summary from Web MD that explains the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber. I think you want isoluble, but maybe more of both (almonds are great, as they also have high levels of magnesium and this can make things happen, too.):

Soluble fiber dissolves in water. Insoluble fiber does not. To some degree these differences determine how each fiber functions in the body and benefits your health.

Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel, which slows down digestion. Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full, which helps control weight. Slower stomach emptying may also affect blood sugar levels and have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity, which may help control diabetes. Soluble fibers can also help lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.

Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut. Insoluble fibers are mainly found in whole grains and vegetables.

Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.

How Much Dietary Fiber Do You Need?
    Most Americans get only about 15 grams of fiber per day in their diet. But the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends about 25 grams for women under 50 and teenage girls. Teenage boys and men under 50 (who consume more calories than women) require upwards of 30-38 grams of dietary fiber daily.
  • isstillarose
    isstillarose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drinking water with these things is critical, tho. Otherwise they just get stuck!

And I do agree w what was said above. Normal is different for different people.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    More water and fiber. I take some Metamucil (psyllium husk fiber) in water every day. My wife takes fiber pills because she didn't like the Metamucil.
  • giannigreco83
    Options
    Thank you all guys. Do you also suggest any supplement magnesium or fiber pills for for those days you know you won't make it until 38 grams of fiber?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Thank you all guys. Do you also suggest any supplement magnesium or fiber pills for for those days you know you won't make it until 38 grams of fiber?

I always check with my doc before adding nutrient supplements after having a relative that ended up in the hospital after taking a postassium supplement he did not need.
  • giannigreco83
    Options

I always check with my doc before adding nutrient supplements after having a relative that ended up in the hospital after taking a postassium supplement he did not need.[/quote]

Wow hope he's fine now. .. Thanks
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Some people just aren't daily poopers. I've never been one, ever. I used to go a week or so between poops and that was normal for my body. Now, 3-4 days a week is normal for me (this change happened after I had my gall bladder removed).

I make sure I get enough fat, fiber, and water as mentioned above. I also find that if I've gone more than two days, drinking my coffee will **ahem** stimulate the process. Drinking coffee really does keep me more regular.

This. Also, I have found now that I'm eating less, I have less "waste" (imagine that!) I usually only go every other day. Totally normal for me.

• giannigreco83
    Options

This. Also, I have found now that I'm eating less, I have less "waste" (imagine that!) I usually only go every other day. Totally normal for me.

Thank you :)