Any success with the NutriBullet/Magic Bullet?

Options
Is this a good one to try? I'm intrigued by the idea of making quick smoothies but any flaws, too? Any good recipes suggestions for if I do get one?

Replies

• msloan57
    Options
    I've been using mine for breakfast every morning. It's fast and easy...I use frozen berries, a blop of fat free plain greek yogurt, almond milk and Nature's Own protein powder vanilla. Delicious.
  • lilydoc22
    Options
    Nice! Thank you!
  • ohi874
    ohi874 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have always been of the mindset that you should not drink your calories. My doctor advised me not to juice or do smoothies because you're better off eating the fruit or veg you're about to blast. Ymmv but drinks don't satisfy me.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet is the way to go. I have both the Magic Bullet and the Nutribullet and the Magic bullet is a piece of junk. I use my Nutribullet for everything from making smoothies, to grinding coffee to making powdered sugar.

If you can afford it, go with the Nutribullet RX. It's got huge cups and even a pitcher, and it's got a 7 minute Soup function. The blades spin so fast it heats up soup right in the pitcher as it blends. It doesn't cook it so it's still "raw" and you're getting all the nutrients in raw veggies. It's around $250 from most places in Canada right now.

As for recipes, they come with a fantastic book of things you can make with it, but I usually do carrots, spinach, almonds, flax, banana, protein powder and either coconut or almond milk.

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    ohi874 wrote: »
    I have always been of the mindset that you should not drink your calories. My doctor advised me not to juice or do smoothies because you're better off eating the fruit or veg you're about to blast. Ymmv but drinks don't satisfy me.

That's actually half bad advice. Blending actually allows your body to digest the nutrients in the skins and seeds that would normally pass right through you if you were to eat it whole. If smoothies don't fill you up and you prefer to eat your calories that's fine, but telling others that they shouldn't because you lose nutrient value isn't true.
  • jifejacobs
    jifejacobs Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree with AmykinsCatfood. I love my Nutribullet RX. I prep the night before for what I'm going to use. Almost everything I use is frozen. I try to always use more veggies than fruit so that I don't get as much sugar, but I know it may take a bit for other people to get used to it. Kale and spinach are my staple green veggies (about 3-4 cups), although I have used asparagus and swiss chard as well. My go to fruits are banana (does the best job of masking any unpleasant flavor), mango, strawberries, blueberries, and peaches (about 2-3cups).

I will tell you that using the large pitcher, it's enough for me to take to work for the whole day. I'm not really hungry, except for the fact that since I know I'm not eating anything else, my brain says, "you want a burger, or some chicken, or some chinese food". :-)

Starting next week, I plan on adding protein powders, chia seeds, flax seed, etc. I've been doing two smoothies a day (approx 300 calories total), 100-150 calorie snacks, and a sensible dinner this entire week and when I weighed myself I was down almost four pounds. I'll have a final number on Monday when I do my official weigh in. :-) My daily caloric intake has been about 1100 calories per day.

Try the Nutribullet - I think you'll love it.
  • lilydoc22
    Options
    Wow. All of this info so far has been really helpful! I really think it would be helpful for me b/c I tend to forget (or maybe not so much forgetting..lol) to have enough fruits and vegetables each day. I love smoothies but with the blender I have right now it's too much effort with cleanup, etc.. and I find that I can't be bothered with using it daily. I feel like I'd actually use the NutriBullet based on what I've heard so far. The RX is probably not in my price range for now but I think I'll look into getting a lower priced one.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies for my breakfast daily. I use a Ninja and I love it!
  • lilydoc22
    Options
    Hmmm Ninja vs NutriBullet?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I use my Magic Bullet for all kinds of things. I make smoothies but I also I make homemade hummus, salsa and dressings. I whip up veggie smoothies to add into turkey meatloaf, meatballs and burgers. (Tons of flavor and moisture plus added benefits of the veggies in the meat.) I would love the Nutribullet and will probably upgrade this year.
  • dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use it to make "ice cream"...really just a frozen banana and some almond milk. Make it thick and it comes out like soft serve! You could add cocoa or some frozen strawberries. The banana is sweet enough so you don't have to use sweetners. I recently tried adding a tiny drop of peppermint extract and that was really good!
  • dawne000
    Options
    Also - my son and I have this every night...I put frozen fruit (usually strawberries, blackberries & blueberries) in the bullet with some seltzer water and stevia. (I know the seltzer sounds weird but for some reason it works) Make it really thick and it's like having an Italian Ice - and it's only 50 calories per cup!
  • lilydoc22
    Options
    Dawne000..that sounds pretty yummy actually. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • dawne000
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • alli9520
    Options
    lilydoc22 wrote: »
    Wow. All of this info so far has been really helpful! I really think it would be helpful for me b/c I tend to forget (or maybe not so much forgetting..lol) to have enough fruits and vegetables each day. I love smoothies but with the blender I have right now it's too much effort with cleanup, etc.. and I find that I can't be bothered with using it daily. I feel like I'd actually use the NutriBullet based on what I've heard so far. The RX is probably not in my price range for now but I think I'll look into getting a lower priced one.

• alli9520
    Options
    I love the nutribullet. It really does help in having a nutritious breakfast and lunch on the go. Love it!
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Save the "magic bullet" for the bedroom :wink: and get the NINJA... it's awesome. If you get the system, you get the big triple blade blender, the dual blade food processor (and dough blade too), and two single serving size blender cups with blades and to-go lids to put right on them.
  • ohi874
    ohi874 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ohi874 wrote: »

That's actually half bad advice. Blending actually allows your body to digest the nutrients in the skins and seeds that would normally pass right through you if you were to eat it whole. If smoothies don't fill you up and you prefer to eat your calories that's fine, but telling others that they shouldn't because you lose nutrient value isn't true.

I did not advise anyone to not do them. I just shared what my doc advised me to do, and the reason. No offense to you but I'd take my doctor's advise for me over an Internet stranger anyday.

Your post may very well be true but everyone and their situations are different, hence ymmv.

I also have a vitamix and love the thing, best blender I've ever owned. Frozen berries and Greek yogurt for ice cream is yum.
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    I have the NutriNinja, and I use it almost every morning for breakfast. As long as you make thick smoothies that have protein you will feel full.

What types of flavours do you like? Chocolate, fruity, nutty, ect?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We have the nutribullet RX. Both hubs and I use it daily. We love it, and it works so much better than our blender did for making smoothies.