Snacks at a desk job

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love my Greek yogurt and trail mix for a morning snack, afternoon snack varies-sometimes it's a protein bar, or Greek Yogurt, and once in awhile a cookie.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I eat sunflower seeds in between meals.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I typically have those on hand just in case: Pumpkin seeds, fresh vegetables, beef jerky, nuts, cheesestrings

But I've been trying to stop snacking so I'll have some flavored water or hot tea in-between meals to try and push the hunger back.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. In my desk, I have pistachios (with shells so I don't just grab a handful and eat a huge amount) a banana, a Special K Moments Indulgent Caramel Pretzel snack bite (70 calories) and seasoned chick peas with cashews. If I feel like snacking, I'll grab something.
    At around 2:30-3 during the work week, I always grab 3 Hershey Kisses (67 calories) for a nice afternoon treat.
  • airforcebrat1988
    Options
    I have tupperware and pack fruit with me to much on throughout the day. I usually have a combonation of blueberries, strawberries, cantulope, pineapple, or watermelon. I'll change what I have each day for variety (except for the strawberries and caltulope, favorites!).
    Gotta find something healthy that you like and are willing to put time into preparing. I cut it all myself so I know it's all fresh. If you do it right (mostly if stored properly) it should only take once week.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    I always need a mid morning snack and sometimes an afternoon depending upon what hours I'm working. This is what's in my desk drawer right now:
    Sweet and Spicy Tuna Packets
    Protein bars (Clif Builder bars and quest are my faves)
    Packet of instant oatmeal
    Dove dark chocolate (when a craving hits)
    Nuts occasionally
    I bring yogurts, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, and stuff like that for the fridge too.

Do you add anything to the Tuna packets? I've wanted to try the flavored tuna, but haven't dared yet.
  • tarynt11
    tarynt11 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I keep a container of JIF Whips in my office just incase, makes for a great dip! I usually keep portioned snack bags of almonds, veggie chips, raisins, etc. in a bin in my office. Or I will take celery, carrot sticks, other fresh veggies and use yogurt ranch as a dip. Also yogurt, sugar free pudding, baked pretzels with hummus. Apples and oranges help with that sweet craving! Sometimes I make homemade kale chips or sweet potato chips seasoned to liking and take those as well!

I always snack before and after lunch time! It helps prevent overeating at meal time! And it keeps the metabolism going!!!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't snack at work. But I do keep a water kettle at my desk that I use to make instant reduced sugar oatmeal and keep a tub of lowfat cottage cheese in the fridge. I eat those for breakfast and lunch.
  • lyssadsn
    lyssadsn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    skinny pop popcorn. I pack 2 cups for my afternoon snack and that lasts for at least a week.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    In my desk drawer - 10 calorie pretzel sticks, a bag of Dove Dark chocolate minis, a package of Biscoff cookies, gelatin fruit cups and a box of Keebler crackers.
  • faburizu
    faburizu Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions!!
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Have you tried eating breakfast, instead of drinking it? I find that days I drink a protein shake for breakfast (once or twice a month, if I'm in a hurry between the gym and work) I get hungry earlier.

Yes, actually, the protein drink is a new thing for me. I've only tried it for 2 or 3 days now but I notice an immediate difference in keeping me full for longer. Before, I would eat toast with peanut butter around 6 and be STARVING by 10am. Maybe it's because I drink my protein powder with milk instead of water? Plus, I love it because it tastes just like a milkshake.

I wish fruit were cheaper (especially berries!!) but alas it is not, at least not here. It's usually $4.99 for just a tiny box of blackberries or blueberries (and Strawberries are often even more). I like apples though, and peanut butter!

andreamaym wrote: »
    - peanut butter (I literally eat two spoonfulls right off the spoon)

I have considered that, lol. Maybe I won't feel so crazy doing that now.

I also keep a large tub of plain oatmeal beneath my desk for emergencies (lol) and I think I may start using that now. I usually put sugar and maple syrup in it for flavoring, but I think I should find a healthier alternative, or just get used to eating them plain!

I also am gonna look into skinny pop popcorn. My problem is that I'm so bad with "bags" of snacks, I want to eat the whole thing!! Perhaps I should package them before work...

Also love cottage cheese. Great suggestions!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    yogurt
    string cheese
    bottled water
    pretzels
    Chocolite protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com)
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Snacks get me through the day (otherwise, I'd probably camp out in front of the fridge)
    I like to think I snack responsibly:
    • nuts and granola
    • banana
    • oranges
    • Snickerdoodle cookie (wait, how'd that get there?)
    • and grapes
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always eat small meals (when I'm on the wagon)

For example:

Breakfast: Protein smoothie
    Mid morning: 1 cup of chicken burrito bowl (made in slow cooker and frozen)
    Lunch: 1 cup of soup (made in slow cooker and frozen)
    Afternoon snack: Any sort of snack I want really as long as it fits in my day
    Dinner: Something with protein and veggies
    Dessert: Skinny cow ice cream bar
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love those smart pop popcorn bags, or any popcorn, crackers w tuna, cheese, chips
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Fruit like apples/oranges/bananas, nuts, raisins, string cheese, yogurt, and beef jerky are snacks I take to work sometimes.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat snacks throughout my day, as long as they fit. I sit at a desk most of the day and have access to a fridge and microwave. Some of my easy snacks are: hard-boiled egg, banana, orange, Greek yogurt, pretzels and guacamole, two Dove chocolates and a Keurig cider or tea, rice cake with PB2 and berries, string cheese, and almonds. My diary is open and honest if you want to friend me for ideas. Good luck!
  • marciemartin1
    marciemartin1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make Energy Bites for my snacks. There are a ton of recipes online but mine are about 97 calories per bite.
  • mrsvinisky
    mrsvinisky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    faburizu wrote: »
    I try to snack once before lunch and once after, to prevent being ravenously hungry for either meal. I'm struggling with thinking of a legit snack idea. I bought some granola bars but I don't want to fall back on those because they're expensive. I work at a desk job and I have access to hot water and a tiny fridge, if that helps at all. I do use a protein supplement shake but I drink one for breakfast and one after working out so I don't want to overdo it by using it for my snack too.

I have to have snacks or I way overeat at meals. That is how I ended up this heavy. I prepare on the weekend for the upcoming week. My current favorite is roasted butternut squash. I cut the squash into 1 inch cubes, roast it and then portion it out for the week for between meal snacks. I also enjoy cottage cheese with tomato, bananas, green grapes, celery sticks with Jif to Go individual servings of peanut butter. Again, all portioned out and on hand for the morning when I pack my lunch bag for work. I went to Walmart and bought 2 cup sized Rubbermaid containers to store everything in when it's prepared. Honestly, the pre planning has been the BIGGEST part of my success so far. Good luck!