Do you really think the desire for JUNK ever goes away?

Options
Flyntiggr
Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
Ok, curious as to what others think about this.

I started this plan back in January. I am an admitted junk food junkie. I LOVE crap! :) Back then, everyone said "oh, it takes 90 days to really create new habits." "You'll get over the cravings eventually." etc....

I'm here to tell ya - without good restraint, I'd eat all the crap I used to in a heartbeat! Chips, dip, fast food, fried food, etc. Does it ever really get easier?

Replies

• candacepainter
    Options
    NO! I love chocolate!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It did for me. After a while of eating healthier alternatives, indulging in "old habit" foods makes me want to eat clean again. Now I crave the better nutritional choices.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Never. Love junk food
  • 2chubby4now
    2chubby4now Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing yesterday! Now granted, I have not been at this very long... but, OHHHHHH THE CRAVINGS!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think so. Like most children, I wanted to eat sweets and stuff as a child (but wasn't allowed), but now I have no interest in them at all, so it clearly went away at some point.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can't eat junk food now.
    The thought of it makes me physically sick, lol.
    And I feel really awful afterwards if I eat anything from a restaurant because of all the salt and stuff.

So yeah I think it does go away, I'd much rather have fruit now than fast food or something.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Boy am I right there with you. I have dramatically improved my eating but if there is junk in the house, I can't stay away. I have heard that if you COMPLETELY eliminate processed sugar you eventually stop craving it but I don't know if that is true.

I can say that becomming more educated about the fast food industry has made me lose my appetite for fast food. Not because I don't think it tastes YUMMY, but because when you know more about it, it just seems gross.

Best of luck!

Jodi
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Kind of... It's more about eating everyting in moderation and in proper portions. Complete deprivation, at least in my experience, is a bad way to go. If you want chocolate, have a mini bar or some good dark chocolate. If you want pizza, just have a slice or two, not the whole pie. If you want chips, just buy a snack bag. And if you want ice cream, just go get a cone.

The only thing that I've noticed changing is how much I can eat, not what I can eat. I can't even imagine eating the meals I used to gorge myself on a couple years ago...but the actual food choices haven't changed a great deal.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I think for some people it does. For me, the craving is not normally too bad but I still want it from time to time.
  • Lexi1313
    Lexi1313 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't think it does. I've been eating healthier for about 2 years now and I still crave McDonald's whenever I see one!

But nothing tastes as good, as skinny feels right?!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It does get easier but only when you make the decision that you want to fuel your body with nutrients and not, like you said "junk"
    Once you make that decision - you will find a whole new respect for yourself and your body. It took me a LOOOOOOOOONG time to get to this point and it's still quite new to me but crazy how different I think and feel about food now.

Good luck to you!!! xo
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I fight cravings all the time....and then I give in and feel like a fat failure.................
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I love my junk food too. I still eat some of it but definitely in moderation. What I am finding is that some of the junk food that I used to love just makes me fell ill when I eat it.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    YEs YEs and Yes . You have to Detox from it and the "Desire or the feeling of need ing it" lesions or goes aways.... Junk for is addicting for a reason. Just like anyother additoins they are hard to break!
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't think the craving ever truly goes away. It does get easier I think. Also, I think after you go long enough and then indulge you do realize that that kind of food makes your body feel icky.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    I just started in January. I am also a junk food addict. I still eat junk food but I have cut way back. Instead of a bowl of ice cream I eat half a cup and am very satisfied. I battle with eating the fresh fruits and vegetables because I love all the stuff that is bad for me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It did for me. After a while of eating healthier alternatives, indulging in "old habit" foods makes me want to eat clean again. Now I crave the better nutritional choices.

Same here. After a little while of making smarter food choices I stopped wanting Cheetos and candy and once I cut out soda and made myself drink only water I don't want to drink anything else. I successfully got all the toxins and addictive ingredients out of my system and my body doesn't want them anymore. In fact, most of the time eating junk or fast food makes me feel really sick!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Some people just really like junk food. Personally, I think that the more you eat healthier and make exercise a regular part of your life, the less you want the junk food.

I am one who does like junk food, and I WILL continue to have it...once in a while, and not go crazy with it when I do. I'm sure my weight loss would be more significant if didn't have this way of thinking, BUT this is me and I want to eat they way I plan to eat for the rest of my life.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I think the cravings lessen... I also think that your CRAVING may never go away, it will subside for longer amounts of time, but eventually you will crave it...

now your TOLERATION for the food lessens.. I used to be able to eat a whole batch of cookies... I 3-4 now and I get sick... so I think it changes, but I don't think you all of a sudden will just HATE everything that is bad for you..

or atleast I wont ever be that way
  • smiler1978
    smiler1978 Posts: 28
    Options
    I do think it reduces!

Im far better without any at all - as soon as I let a little in I can't stop.

I rebound food wise after my annual holiday at at xmas - yet I once went 10 months without pizza or wine e.t.c and didn't crave!

Mad isnt it xx