Whole Wheat vs Regular

Options
Just wondered what ur guys opinion was on the difference between regular and whole wheat pasta The carb count looks the same

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to eat pasta, I eat regular. I don't like the flavour and texture of whole wheat, so it's not worth the calories to me.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i eat high protein pasta which has a mix of regular and wholewheat but i eat that due to the protein, but if it was between white and wholewheat then definitely wholewheat as it keeps me fuller for longer plus i retain more water round my stomach from white carbs
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat has something like 10 more calories (at least with the brand I buy). If you've never tried it, go ahead and buy a box.
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My dietician told me that the whole wheat option was the way to go. it's not about the carb count but the way your body processes it (I think). She also said look for whole wheat not just wheat. The most eye opening thing I got from her is that "wheat bread is just white bread with a tan"

Also- many companies will advertise on the package that their product contains whole wheat but when you look at the ingredients it is a mixture of Whole Grains and not whole grains (which isn't great) for example enriched wheat flour ...
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For calories/carbs there isn't much difference. But whole wheat is less processed and is supposed to have more fiber.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bread - whole wheat over white
    Pasta - white over whole wheat

This is my taste preference. You are correct that the calories and carbs are similar. The difference can be fiber, though you really need to check the label for that as some whole wheat breads are higher in fiber and some aren't much better than white.

For weight control purposes, I eat less bread and pasta overall, and go for thinly sliced wholemeal breads and use Fiber Gourment pasta, which has 1/2 the calories of regular.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Regular pasta...doesn't make my tummy growl as much
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on the sauce that will be on it. If there is a more delicate sauce that is just oil based or lemon, etc., and probably alfredo too although I really don't eat that much, I want regular pasta.

I actually love wheat pasta, but it has to be with something really thick and hearty. I eat a lot less pasta when it's whole wheat...that's probably what I'll get when I add pasta back into the rotation. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bread - whole wheat over white
    Pasta - white over whole wheat

This is my taste preference.

This is my taste preference also, so what I usually eat, although with some sauces whole wheat pasta can be fine.

IMO, the main difference is (1) fiber, and (2) (for some people) white is less satiating or more of a trigger food.

Neither bread nor pasta is a trigger food for me, I find them about equally satiating (and it all depends on what you eat with it anyway), and I usually get plenty of fiber, plus I don't eat either particularly often, so I go with my taste preference.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    IMO whole wheat pasta tastes like cardboard.
    I like white dinner rolls but wheat bread for sandwiches.
    I don't really eat a lot of bread though, more pasta than bread, but not too much of either lol
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    My dietician told me that the whole wheat option was the way to go. it's not about the carb count but the way your body processes it (I think). She also said look for whole wheat not just wheat. The most eye opening thing I got from her is that "wheat bread is just white bread with a tan"

Also- many companies will advertise on the package that their product contains whole wheat but when you look at the ingredients it is a mixture of Whole Grains and not whole grains (which isn't great) for example enriched wheat flour ...

As long as you hit your fiber goal by the end of the day, you can eat whatever type of bread you want, makes no difference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat has more fiber and will keep you full longer. Honestly, regular pasta just tastes bland to me now, but just eat what you like, it won't make a huge difference one way or another.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on the sauce that will be on it. If there is a more delicate sauce that is just oil based or lemon, etc., and probably alfredo too although I really don't eat that much, I want regular pasta.

I actually love wheat pasta, but it has to be with something really thick and hearty. I eat a lot less pasta when it's whole wheat...that's probably what I'll get when I add pasta back into the rotation. :)

This is also my personal preference too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

The amount of processing whole wheat gets so actual pasta can be made makes it as fine as most all purpose flour......it's a bit of a misnomer really.....you get a little more fiber but nutrient absorption is less.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, if it tastes good, I choose 100% whole wheat, or other 100% whole grain for pasta, bread, tortillas etc. The glycemic LOAD of 100% whole grain foods is usually lower. The over all nutrient profile is usually better. (yes, there are arguments about phytic acid etc...)

As always, context and dosing, but if we're just talking noodles, then yes, I'm going to choose 100% whole wheat. If that's not an option then I'm going to create an entree that "blunts" the glycemic load a bit. I'll add some protein, or a higher fat sauce...

Again, though, I prefer to eat with glycemic LOAD (or impact) in mind, as I hate feeling famished within hours of eating, and I hate feeling like my cravings rule me.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    When in doubt, if it tastes good, I choose 100% whole wheat, or other 100% whole grain for pasta, bread, tortillas etc. The glycemic LOAD of 100% whole grain foods is usually lower. The over all nutrient profile is usually better. (yes, there are arguments about phytic acid etc...)

As always, context and dosing, but if we're just talking noodles, then yes, I'm going to choose 100% whole wheat. If that's not an option then I'm going to create an entree that "blunts" the glycemic load a bit. I'll add some protein, or a higher fat sauce...

Again, though, I prefer to eat with glycemic LOAD (or impact) in mind, as I hate feeling famished within hours of eating, and I hate feeling like my cravings rule me.
    You mean your going to put other food products in your pasta, sacrilegious.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You mean your going to put other food products in your pasta, sacrilegious.
    A sauce on my pasta? Yes, I surely am!
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dp

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I like regular pasta over whole wheat. Whole wheat pasta has a horrible texture to me, all gritty and bleh.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta is one of the few foods I think is absolutely horrible. I like Barilla Plus, but the kids won't eat it. Eat what you like, just eat less of it!