The future of fitness halls?

Options
Wakx
Wakx Posts: 105 Member
When I grew up (60s, 70s), I was taught gymnastics at school. I joined a gym club as teenager (80s), where I did rings, horizontal bar, floor, parallel bars etc. I loved it. It was so damn good for my body, though I also recall that my hands were always full of blisters and the muscle pain was often terrible. Not to mention having to do swings with 2 day old dried blisters in your hands hahaha. It's a tough sport if you start too late, but boy did I love it. Some of the exercises were group wise - such as vaults.

These days, "the gym" has many apparatus. There is choice and if you know how to use them, they do make you fit/strong. But their main function is blowing up individual muscles. Or to increase one's stamina. Fair enough, times change, but gymnastics was really good because it was cardio, strength and flexibility combined. The modern gym doesn't offer that option.

For the individual that is. The group classes tend to be more varied.

Where I train, the TRX was a big new tool a year ago. But to me, it seemed a silly primitive form of The Rings. You can't even do a cruxifix on the TRX! (well, I never could on the rings either, but it's the principle, right?).

Recently I was talking to a Fitness First PT who told me that some of the gymnastics apparatus have re-appeared in some gyms. That'd be great! But is it true? Have people seen sets of rings or horizontal bars reappear in the gym?

What is, really, the future gym? What does it look like, you think, in about 5 to 10 years from now/

Replies

• Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Ive seen these in outdoor/beach gyms in my area - which Im totally stoked about. Then again, its California, so they might be more common here...
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Why are you stoked about those gyms?

Then again, its California.... :)