Weight loss but not body fat

Options
luke1404
luke1404 Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am hoping for a bit of help. I used to be really athletic and in reasonable shape until I started a desk job 5 years ago. Over the past few months I have dropped from 172lbs to 155lbs. The only issue is when I look at pictures before and after I see no difference and all measurements bar 2 inches off the waist remain the same. I have done insanity and insanity max over the last 3 months but can't figure out why I'm losing weight but not losing the fat. It can't all be water loss surely.

I am not all that knowledgeable about the specifics in weight loss but would expect to see some kind of results.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are losing fat, but probably have lost more muscle than you would have liked to. I really know nothing about insanity, but I'm going to make the assumption that it is not going to help you keep as much muscle in a calorie deficit as heavy lifting will.

So you're 155 now, doing insanity, and trying to lose how many pounds a week? How tall are you and how many calories are you eating?
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hey luke, hows it going? Dont stress about it too much your working hard and consistent so the inches will go, sometimes you can lose alot of weight and the inches take longer, it means you are most likely skinny fat, I was the same way. The only suggestion I would make would be to make sure you are hitting your macros and fiber goals. Keep up the good work, youll see a difference soon
  • luke1404
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I have just changed my macros to 40/40/20 to see how it works. I am aiming to lose about a lb a week so eating 1600 calories. I am 5'6. A little short *kitten*. I can feel the core feeling a lot tighter but just struggling to physically see any changes. Thanks for your support. Its appreciated.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Options
    1600 is pretty low for a male but 40/40/20 should be good bud
  • luke1404
    Options

I thought that but MFP says 1560. I guess its because I'm at a desk from 7 - 6. The only exercise I get is insanity and playing with the toddler when in home. You thinking my calorie deficit is too low? I very rarely eat back exercise calories. I k ow this has probably be answered a 1000 times so apologies.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    luke1404 wrote: »

I thought that but MFP says 1560. I guess its because I'm at a desk from 7 - 6. The only exercise I get is insanity and playing with the toddler when in home. You thinking my calorie deficit is too low? I very rarely eat back exercise calories. I k ow this has probably be answered a 1000 times so apologies.

You really should eat some exercise calories back.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Options
    dont apologize man! no such thing as a stupid question. It is pretty low so you risk muscle loss more. I would either eat some exercise calories back, or go to TDEE and set it at 1800-1900 per day, personally I prefer TDEE
  • luke1404
    Options
    dont apologize man! no such thing as a stupid question. It is pretty low so you risk muscle loss more. I would either eat some exercise calories back, or go to TDEE and set it at 1800-1900 per day, personally I prefer TDEE

Thanks man. I will do this and give it a couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice. I will report back. Appreciate your time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.