PCOS and weight loss

Options
Anyone with pcos trying to loose weight?

Replies

• graco4wj
    graco4wj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep! It's very hard. I finally got a trainer to show me how to change my regimen every three weeks. It's necessary for PCOS to change the regimen. Your body fight s you every step of the way.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There are forums and groups on MFP for people with PCOS. You need to follow a similar nutrition plan as pre-diabetics and insulin resistant people. You can look into those groups as well.
  • jmiles81
    jmiles81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My doctor just put me on Contrave, I am only 2 weeks in and have not noticed anything weight loss wise yet. It takes a month to get up to the full dosage though. No other mesa have done any good yet. But maybe this one will. I have PCOS too and am totally stuck, no matter what I seem to do.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I lost 52 pounds last year and plan on 10-15 this year. I actually did not find that the PCOS made weight loss too hard. I tend to eat fewer grains than many people (1-3 servings a day now, less than that in the beginning) but I'm not a super low carber. I put my story in a success thread a few weeks ago.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow congratulations hun. I'm on a low carb low saturated fat low sugar low everything plan.
    I am going the gym but will see if I can loose the weight I need to loose about 4 stone.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and 4 other metabolic diseases.

I've lost/maintained about 85 pounds. I need to lose about 20 more.

Low carb, lots of veggies, almost no fruit and tons of exercise seem to be the keys. I do not eat white foods (flour, sugar, pasta, white rice) and I really limit grains.
  • amsbabs
    amsbabs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've got PCOS and about 100 pounds to lose. When I've lost weight in the past, the only thing that worked for me was a low calorie count, around 1400, with a lowish carb count around 100. Also, my protein level HAS to be higher than my carb level or I'm shaky and starving. Throwing in a higher count day about once a week also seems to help as long as it's not too high.
  • lckyc2016
    lckyc2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Anyone with pcos trying to loose weight?

I'm on the same boat!! Low calorie count seems to be working right now, but the suggestions above are making me question how well it will work. Def looking into what I else I can do? I've only lost 15-20lbs in 3 months and def need to ALOT lose more!

wkwebby wrote: »
    There are forums and groups on MFP for people with PCOS. You need to follow a similar nutrition plan as pre-diabetics and insulin resistant people. You can look into those groups as well.

Where can I find these groups?! (sorry, new to MFP!!)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    No prob. Go to "community", then "groups" (on computer), then browse groups. The name of the group that I found on the second page is PCOS I. S.

On the phone or tablet, pretty much the same, but a little harder to find. Try on computer first (I got to it right away).
  • lckyc2016
    lckyc2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 160 lbs over the years. I didn't really feel that it affected my weight loss all that much, but then again, I never had anything else to compare to, either. You just have to keep at it and put in the work. It'll pay off in the end!
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for probably 2 decades. I noticed the rapid weight gain, but when I am actually watching my calorie intake, I don't really notice it being hard to lose weight. I contribute that to the fact that I am taking medications to get everything balanced. I am also dealing with a thyroid condition. Again, when I follow my calories, I find I can lose weight just fine. I lose anywhere between 0-2 pounds a week.

I am doing a low carb, though, on suggestion of my former trainer and the whole pre-diabetic thing, but I don't stress it too much. Definitely less than I would be eating normally, but more than the low-carb numbers say I should.

Just remember you aren't alone :)
  • 315_jayhawk
    Options
    I definitely know the struggles with PCOS. My downfall is eating cookies. So exercising isn't my issue. I just need to tell myself, "I can do it."
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My downfall is eating 5+ sausages in one sitting :o i'm also a yorkshire pudding obsessive lol I love savory foods especially bread.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know the struggle all too well. One word of caution while you are on these forums. With PCOS you need to reduce calories more than non-PCOS people. It sucks, but it's the truth, our bodies don't need as many calories. The only way I have been able to lose with lots of experimentation under my belt is to be at 1200 calories and eat lots of protein, keeping carbs and sugar low. I've started weight and strength training to see if I can boost my metabolism and burn more calories. I do notice I'm way hungrier now. Another word of advice that was a life changer for me, take Vitamin D! My energy has gone up since I started. I used to be so low energy before. PCOS is very difficult for others to understand, do lots of research, work really hard, and you will meet your goals. We just have to work harder at it.
  • Towanda4379
    Towanda4379 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with PCOS and weight loss. Using MFP helped me lose 13 lbs but now I seem to be at a stand still and its a struggle. I've gotten discouraged lately. I like the idea of trying to change it up every 3 weeks to keep my metabolism from adapting and hoarding calories again. Do you mean you change your regimen in terms of what you eat, what exercise you do, or both?
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    estherlion wrote: »
    I know the struggle all too well. One word of caution while you are on these forums. With PCOS you need to reduce calories more than non-PCOS people. It sucks, but it's the truth, our bodies don't need as many calories. The only way I have been able to lose with lots of experimentation under my belt is to be at 1200 calories and eat lots of protein, keeping carbs and sugar low. I've started weight and strength training to see if I can boost my metabolism and burn more calories. I do notice I'm way hungrier now. Another word of advice that was a life changer for me, take Vitamin D! My energy has gone up since I started. I used to be so low energy before. PCOS is very difficult for others to understand, do lots of research, work really hard, and you will meet your goals. We just have to work harder at it.

That isn't necessarily true. I have PCOS. I've lost 160 lbs and the only thing eating 1200 calories got me was an eating disorder. I'm now maintaining eating around 2500 calories. Make sure you don't cut calories too much. It's a hard road back once you've screwed up your body.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Try the http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis group. Very active group of pcos women there. Can get lots of support, ideas, stories, rants and questions answered about PCOS and all the joys it brings to our bodies.
  • rachelem89
    Options
    I have severe PCOS, and have managed to lose 84lbs in the last 12 months by following a very low carb, but high fat diet as well as taking up weight lifting. Cutting out sugar is absolutely essential to lose weight successfully with PCOS. I still eat a lot of calories (around 1800 a day) and still lose 2-3lbs a week. It CAN be done! x
  • leannestroud2
    leannestroud2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi rachelem89
    What was your setting for sugar, carbs, and fat on the my fitness pal app. I have PCOS ,
    Insulin resistance and 40kg to lose.