Hilarious "Dieting" idea from the past, does anyone remember this? Please share yours too.

Options

Replies

• dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I can remember my mom telling me that in the 70s, part of the plan for Weight Watchers required you to eat liver at least once a week. I just googled and found the plan here.

Yup! I remember doing WW and having to eat liver once a week. It must still have been happening when I joined the first time in the early 80's. Yikes - I've been dieting a LONG time!
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Those WW card comments are hilarious and I'm no longer hungry!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    When I first started "eating healthy", long before counting calories, I thought veggie shakes and home made food were the key, regardless of what was in it. In my mind, it was as simple as: "Take out, bad. Cook at home, good".

I love to cook, so I couldn't figure out why I continued to balloon.

Then I started counting calories - that homemade pad thai I loved? 1100 calories per serving. I was going back for seconds... *Smacks forehead*

Those shakes? Yes, they had spinach in them, but it was still sugar-filled yogurt, and high sugar/calorie fruits. I should've taken the hint when I started thinking "Adding rum would be a fun way to have these healthy shakes!"

Oh, young rand486, you were so naive...

Ahhh alcohol, the forgotton fourth macro :)

• amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    In the 70's, my family went on a beet diet. All we were supposed to eat with this diet was canned beats, out of the can. Yuck! We didn't last too long with that diet..ha ha.

Other bad dieting advice is that diabetics used to be told they couldn't have sugar. In 1992, the American Diabetes Association changed this to where diabetics could have sugar in their meal plan.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    memelendy wrote: »
    I used to overshare (read: b*tch) a lot on facebook, and one day I made a complaint about my weight. One of my aunt's sisters (aunt by marriage, not blood) sent me a message telling me how she lost weight (she had lost a significant amount of weight).

She told me to only eat an apple for breakfast, a cup of maruchan noodles for lunch, and then for dinner I could eat whatever I wanted as long as it was only 500 calories.

I later found out she had a cocaine problem...so...I guess that helped, too.

This made me laugh so hard. Ha!

I know! I'm sitting in the dentists waiting room and just cracked up. Everyone looked at me :-D
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You whippersnappers forgot about the Metrecal for lunch bunch
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »

Forgotten?! Given some of the threads I've seen on these forums, I'd say it gets more attention than protein & carbs combined! ;)
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My aunt asked if I wanted to try the cabbage soup diet- where you just eat cabbage soup! Um, no thank you.
    - Oh and Adkins comes to mind. My boss used to order big boy hamburgers every day, smother them in tartar sauce and eat them sans bun- super gross. Oh, then I had to call 911 and help him take off his tie when he had a heart attack. I wonder why???!!!!
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and the infamous 'Cabbage Soup' diet that still makes an appearance on January 1 and which is usually done by January 7 since nobody can stand the gas :smiley:

OP, I've never heard of the food color diet, but it kind of sounds like it could be kind of fun (remember Heinz trying out purple ketchup?? kind of like that)
    So apparently the Cabbage Soup Diet is an actual thing? I'll be damned
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cider vinegar, lecithen, kelp, and B vitamins. It was from Women's Day in 1973. Oh, and 1200 calories a day. And walk a lot. Let me think how that might work.......
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    When I first started "eating healthy", long before counting calories, I thought veggie shakes and home made food were the key, regardless of what was in it. In my mind, it was as simple as: "Take out, bad. Cook at home, good".

I love to cook, so I couldn't figure out why I continued to balloon.

Then I started counting calories - that homemade pad thai I loved? 1100 calories per serving. I was going back for seconds... *Smacks forehead*

Those shakes? Yes, they had spinach in them, but it was still sugar-filled yogurt, and high sugar/calorie fruits. I should've taken the hint when I started thinking "Adding rum would be a fun way to have these healthy shakes!"

Oh, young rand486, you were so naive...

I had the same exact experience when i moved out of my parents' house! To make it worse i went vegetarian the unhealthy way. "This giant plate of mac and cheese is good for me because it has no meat and was made at home!". It took a 40 pound weight gain to realize my thinking was seriously flawed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    In the 70's, my family went on a beet diet. All we were supposed to eat with this diet was canned beats, out of the can. Yuck! We didn't last too long with that diet..ha ha.

Other bad dieting advice is that diabetics used to be told they couldn't have sugar. In 1992, the American Diabetes Association changed this to where diabetics could have sugar in their meal plan.

Good lord! The beet pee in your house must have been stunning!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    DsAdvocate wrote: »
    Those WW card comments are hilarious and I'm no longer hungry!

I was new to WW when I found those cards online..I printed them out and took them to my meeting and several of us had a great laugh over them, thankful that we dodged that bullet. I do respect those folks who stuck to those crazy plans...like one of the leaders who looked sadly at us and confirmed the insanity...to stick with that...that is dedication. Lol

• vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Anybody remember Susan Powter? The no fat diet...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Anybody remember Susan Powter? The no fat diet...

STOP THE INSANITY!!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Buttering coffee?
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I worked with a guy who tried the Adkins Diet. Walked around all day eating nothing but Slim Jim's "because any meat product was allowed". Forget that Slim Jim's barely count as a food group, let alone meat, and are almost all fat calories...haha
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options

rofl, I like the way you think