Health Insurance Frustration

Options
I'm a little frustrated at something my company is doing. I understand that it's for the benefit of the employees, but it makes me a little upset because I feel like it's being pushed on us.

Every year we have what they call a wellness screening. They take our blood, and they weigh us and take a waist measurement. Usually the only thing they test for is nicotine levels to see if we're cigarette smokers or not. If they prove that we aren't smokers, they give us a discount on our health insurance plan.

This year they're offering a new incentive: either have a BMI of 29.9 or less, or have lost 10% of the weight that was previously recorded at the last wellness exam. By doing this we get another discount.

While I am feeling pretty positive that by the next wellness exam I'll have lost at least 10% of the weight they recorded at the last wellness, I dislike the added pressure. Part of why I feel I've been more successful this time is because I'm not focusing on deadlines or the "when will I be thin" way of thinking. I'm afraid if I think about this too much it will get to me and I'll start acting disordered again (I have binge eating issues).

I'm trying not to think about it because every time I do I get mad. Yes, I want to and I'm going to lose weight, but that's because I am doing it for MYSELF. I don't like the idea of anyone else trying to tell me how I should look.

Sorry about complaining a bit, but worrying about what other people think is what caused me to have disordered eating issues in the past, and I really do not want to go there ever again.

Replies

• ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I am on my husband's insurance and this year spouses also have to do the Wellness screening. My bmi was 30.... missed it by 1!!!! My blood work isn't back yet. At least my waist circumference came in under 35", which was their magic number.
  • shellen007
    shellen007 Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I understand being upset about your employer being too concerned with your health/private life, but I’m just curious: are you equally upset about the discount your employer offers for nonsmokers?

Smoking, like being overweight, can have negative health effects. If you are ok with your company offering a discount for one, what’s wrong with them offering a similar discount for the other?
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Then don't worry about the additional discount. They don't have the power to make you concerned about an additional discount, only you do.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to be frustrated with your company or angry...they are just trying to save them and you money. There is no "deadline". If you haven't lost 10% you still have insurance, you just don't get the discount. There is only upside here...no downside. Don't be so negative. Worry about yourself and what you can control. Stop worrying about what other people may be thinking. This policy has nothing to do with you personally.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    does your company pay for your health insurance? If yes, then they can require said health screenings as they have an interest in keeping health care costs low, and healthier people have less medical cost as they go to the dr less frequently...
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I understand being upset about your employer being too concerned with your health/private life, but I’m just curious: are you equally upset about the discount your employer offers for nonsmokers?

Smoking, like being overweight, can have negative health effects. If you are ok with your company offering a discount for one, what’s wrong with them offering a similar discount for the other?

I'm not exactly upset about the discount in general. I'm upset that I'm worried it's going to make me overthink the whole process because I don't do well with deadlines on things like this. I'm trying to take the least stressful approach to weight loss for myself, which is no deadline. I can't become obsessive about food again.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Let it go. They are a business doing what they can to keep costs down.
    In the meantime, you are doing what works for you. Keep yourself on track by staying focused on what is working.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    does your company pay for your health insurance? If yes, then they can require said health screenings as they have an interest in keeping health care costs low, and healthier people have less medical cost as they go to the dr less frequently...

We pay for our own health benefits. The wellness screening offers us a discount on our insurance. With the non smoking discount I pay approx 170-180 a month.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    There is no reason to be frustrated with your company or angry...they are just trying to save them and you money. There is no "deadline". If you haven't lost 10% you still have insurance, you just don't get the discount. There is only upside here...no downside. Don't be so negative. Worry about yourself and what you can control. Stop worrying about what other people may be thinking. This policy has nothing to do with you personally.

I am usually a very positive person. This just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm certain I will get past my initial frustration but that's just how I have to feel right now.

Also, it's easier said than done when you can't always help how you feel about things. I am getting better at controlling how I react to things (for example I no longer get mad and eat everything in the house) but I can't change the fact that it upset me.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    yes you can change it, you CHOOSE to let if upset you. We can change how we feel by how we think.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry this has you down. Hopefully you'll find a way to let it go so it doesn't bother you. I know that is the hard part sometimes.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    memelendy wrote: »
    I'm a little frustrated at something my company is doing. I understand that it's for the benefit of the employees, but it makes me a little upset because I feel like it's being pushed on us.

We pay for our own health benefits. The wellness screening offers us a discount on our insurance. With the non smoking discount I pay approx 170-180 a month.

The first thing you said seems to hint that this is health insurance offered (meaning at least partially paid for) by your employer, but...

If you pay for your own health insurance and your employer contributes nothing, why not go with another company altogether that does things differently?

To be honest with you I don't know if they contribute or not. I know that if I didn't get the non smoking discount it would cost me around 300 a month, just for me. It's good insurance, and I'm grateful my company offers it. I actually love my job 99% of the time besides this.

The real issue I am having is more to do with my company shoving the fact that they want us to lose weight down our throats. I got a phone call and two emails in two days about this, and they sent a letter to my house about it. I don't mind that they're offering an extra incentive. I just don't like all the spam it comes with. I don't feel personally victimized or anything like that, it's just hard to handle since I don't handle outside pressure well when it comes to my weight. This is really my own personal issue with myself- I need to not psych myself out.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The great majority of the time, if you have insurance through work, they pony up part as well. In general when you do wellness incentives, your portion of the premium is lower, but so is there's. I think during open enrollment period I got probably 20 emails about it and several things in the mail. Last year you mainly had to show effort to track things. This year you get points for actually being healthy. It's just another way places are trying to mitigate costs.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    yes you can change it, you CHOOSE to let if upset you. We can change how we feel by how we think.

Um. I'm a former psych major, and I'm going to call bull on this one. Sometimes people don't always understand why they feel certain ways, and you have no idea whether or not I have a chemical imbalance that causes depression/anxiety or not. I would rather feel this mild frustration that I'm feeling now so I can get over it, than suppress it and let it eat me alive later. Thanks for your input though, not sure how it was valid to my original post.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options

The first thing you said seems to hint that this is health insurance offered (meaning at least partially paid for) by your employer, but...

If you pay for your own health insurance and your employer contributes nothing, why not go with another company altogether that does things differently?

To be honest with you I don't know if they contribute or not. I know that if I didn't get the non smoking discount it would cost me around 300 a month, just for me. It's good insurance, and I'm grateful my company offers it. I actually love my job 99% of the time besides this.

The real issue I am having is more to do with my company shoving the fact that they want us to lose weight down our throats. I got a phone call and two emails in two days about this, and they sent a letter to my house about it. I don't mind that they're offering an extra incentive. I just don't like all the spam it comes with. I don't feel personally victimized or anything like that, it's just hard to handle since I don't handle outside pressure well when it comes to my weight. This is really my own personal issue with myself- I need to not psych myself out.

Sounds like your employer contributes very little.

You should find out what percentage your employer contributes though. Then maybe you can make a more informed decision about how much you love working for them :sunglasses:.

Maybe you can find another plan you'd pay for out of pocket that you like better, which has nothing to do with your employer.

No matter which way you go with this, your BMI is what it is. It won't change overnight. Maybe just fill out whatever stupid BMI paperwork they're asking you for and be done with it. Then you won't be thinking about it anymore.

They only do it in August. That's why while I'm mildly frustrated I think if I don't sabotage myself I can probably at least meet the 10% goal.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    Hi, sorry this has you down. Hopefully you'll find a way to let it go so it doesn't bother you. I know that is the hard part sometimes.

:smiley: I figured if I got it off my chest I'd feel better about it. I do, actually. I just didn't want to keep it in my head, and it's been interesting to see what others had to say about it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I understand--you link deadlines with disordered thinking (me too) and they've gone ahead and placed a deadline for you.

But here's the thing--you're almost certainly going to lose 10% of your weight by next year. .5 pounds/week is 26 pounds. Just by keeping up with the changes you've made to date, you will smash this goal. You got this.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    I understand--you link deadlines with disordered thinking (me too) and they've gone ahead and placed a deadline for you.

But here's the thing--you're almost certainly going to lose 10% of your weight by next year. .5 pounds/week is 26 pounds. Just by keeping up with the changes you've made to date, you will smash this goal. You got this.

Aw thanks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

+1
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are paying 170-180 a month they are paying a good portion of your insurance. I am self employed and pay 356 a month for my insurance & it is not even good insurance. I signed my son up for insurance on the exchange & before his tax credits it would have been over 200 a month for the cheapest bronze policy, he is a 24 year old male. I am part owner of a small company we researched group insurance the cheapest we could find for me was over 500 a month. Individual policies were also much cheaper for our other 3 employees.
This discussion has been closed.