Best fitness tracker. Ideas?

Options
I'm very keen to get a fitness tracker but there are so many out there I've no idea where to start. Any suggestions gratefully received. Only problem is I'm not allowed to wear a watch/wrist strap at work. I'm currently using the pacer app on my iPhone but would love something more accurate +/- a heart rate monitor.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What are you wanting to gain from it? All day movement tracking? A training aid or a calorie estimator whilst training? Also, what type of training do you do?

With an open ended question all you're likely to get is a series of people telling you what they have.
  • hanbanan78
    hanbanan78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I guess I mainly want a calorie estimator. I'm on my feet at work all day but have realised I do fewer steps than I thought (I just stand a lot it seems!). I'm training for a 10k at the moment and am looking at doing a sprint tri in spring. Also going to start strength training. My perfect fitness tracker would encompass calories, steps, speed/distance and heart rate but I'm probably being unrealistic in getting all that without a wrist strap and for a decent price!

Thanks.
  • Lt_Engels
    Lt_Engels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the Nike +. I just got a fitbit flex, and it tracks calories all days and syncs very well with MFP. About a hundred bucks.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    get yourself a garmin device if your goal is to do a triathlon, especially if you have an inkling that it won't just be a one-and-done bucket list triathlon thing.

i can't wear a wrist watch at work either, so i just track my calories here on myfitnesspal, and then my garmin adds in the workouts and exercise calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    hanbanan78 wrote: »
    My perfect fitness tracker would encompass calories, steps, speed/distance and heart rate but I'm probably being unrealistic in getting all that without a wrist strap and for a decent price!

The answer probably is two devices then.

For CV work a Garmin of some kind. I have a Forerunner 310XT which does multisport.
    For day to day a Fitbit One, although I think the, soon to be released, Garmin Vivofit2 will have a number of wear options which may include belt mount.
    For srength training, just use the estimates on MFP. There is no way to meaningfully estimate calories given the range of variables.

I'd also say that once you're focussed more on sports performance the calories out dimension becomes a bit less important.

• hanbanan78
    hanbanan78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. Really appreciate the replies.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've put trackers in my pocket for things like mowing the lawn and they still track steps. I use Polar Loop and Garmin Vivofit. They each can have a HRM attached. They each have another app that uses GPS to track walks, bike rides etc. I prefer Polar, but Vivofit has a one year battery. DC Rainmaker has written reviews for both. Also Polar M400 is meant to be a good running watch and a fitness tracker.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have just got a fitbit charge HR it is a wrist strap and I also am not allowed a watch at work. I put it in my pocket and it still tracks steps I then put it on as soon as I leave work. It seems pretty accurate.