Yoga

Options
Hi - just wondering if anyone practices any type of yoga - i.e. vinyasa, hatha, etc. If you do, how do you feel about it and do you see results. Did you start with a beginners class or just try to join in with the 'pros'? Thanks!

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Any good yoga teacher will give you versions of things to do if you are just starting out. There's a reason it's called a 'practice' because you make it your own!

I've been doing Centergy (a mix of power yoga and pilates) since fall of 2009. I love it, I love my teacher and it's made a difference in my workouts each week. I have a desk job and without this class I really think my back would bother me all of the time. Plus, it's a full body workout.

Yoga is the only exercise on the planet that rids your body of toxins. Cool, huh?

It's all about the teacher. Try a few classes here and there and find one you like. :)
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    Hey! I practice hot yoga, the studio is called Moksha, they have their own series but I believe it is closer to the Vinyasa style. I started at a beginner class, but a lot of studios only have regular classes, and most teachers are good about showing you modified postures if you are a beginner. I have been practicing yoga for about a year and a half, and just started hot yoga in December. I'm not one for exercise, and I absolutely LOVE hot yoga, it's the only form of exercise I've ever enjoyed and stuck with.

Try it out, it's the most non-judgmental form of exercise, in my opinion. Everyone is at a different level, and it's really all about your own practice and what is happening on your own mat. I've noticed results as far as toning and weight loss go, it's definitely worth a try!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I tried Bikram Yoga (90 min in 104º heated room). Went 3x a week for 2 months. Coworker talked me into it and she had lost 20lbs. And all the people in the class had AMAZING bodies. Ultimately it wasn't for me tho, got too bored, didn't see any results, got a wicked crick in my neck, and for some reason got massive migraines that lasted all day. The migraines were the final straw - they started in class and no matter how much water I drank, minerals I supplemented and electrolytes I downed, nothing stopped them. Haven't had a migraine since I quit.

I've heard many people RAVE about Bikram though and it's amazing healing powers. It obviously works for a lot of people for weight loss. But you have to eat right and the more you go the better the results. Can't do it 1x week and expect any real changes.

There were no beginner or pro classes where I went - everybody just worked at their own level. It's a very solitary workout, you focus on you and only look to others to observe their form to see if you can improve yours.
  • soogie_lynch
    Options
    I love yoga. I go to vinyasa yoga 2x's/wk and I find that it is the perfect counterpoint to doing Bodypump 3x's/wk. I would start with a beginners yoga and do not be afraid to let the instructor know that you are new to yoga. There are some poses even in beginners yoga that can be difficult to achieve without the proper modification to get you there. I wear my hrm during yoga and I burn between 300-350 calories per class too. Not bad.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I tried Bikram Yoga (90 min in 104º heated room). Went 3x a week for 2 months. Coworker talked me into it and she had lost 20lbs. And all the people in the class had AMAZING bodies. Ultimately it wasn't for me tho, got too bored, didn't see any results, got a wicked crick in my neck, and for some reason got massive migraines that lasted all day. The migraines were the final straw - they started in class and no matter how much water I drank, minerals I supplemented and electrolytes I downed, nothing stopped them. Haven't had a migraine since I quit.

I've heard many people RAVE about Bikram though and it's amazing healing powers. It obviously works for a lot of people for weight loss. But you have to eat right and the more you go the better the results. Can't do it 1x week and expect any real changes.

There were no beginner or pro classes where I went - everybody just worked at their own level. It's a very solitary workout, you focus on you and only look to others to observe their form to see if you can improve yours.

It's not the yoga that was not for you. It's the hot part that was wrecking you. Each person is different. Steer clear of the hot kind in the future!
  • jannapurna
    jannapurna Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been really into Moksha (hot) yoga lately. The studio I go to has a great atmosphere and the teachers are wonderfully supportive and helpful. I'd tried other studios in the past and didn't get the same benefits from them, so I think it's important to 'shop around' until you find a place that's right for you.
    The first couple of times in the class I had to take a lot of breaks because the heat was too intense for me, but it didn't take long for me to get used to it and now I love the heat!
    This week I've given myself the challenge of going to yoga 8 days in a row - today is day 3! So, at the end of the week I'll let you know if I've experienced any noteworthy results. I've started a group about it in the Motivation and Support thread, but nobody has shown any interest in joining me. :embarassed: If anyone here is interested, please come find my group!
    It's called: 8 days + of yoga: join any time!
  • dstikeleather
    Options
    Thanks very much to you all for the valuable advice. I am definitely going to try it and keep in mind the tips and information that you shared. I have been to a couple of classes and felt pretty awkward because I cannot do many of the poses, but the teachers have been great and encouraging. I definitely think that I will keep it up. Thanks again for your responses. :flowerforyou: