Protein Powders

Options
I've noticed I am struggling to get my protein in, despite eating eggs/lean chicken/veggie meats in daily. I was wondering what the benefits would be to using a protein powder supplement? Would that allot me a few extra calories to enjoy more brown rice or good complex carbs? Would excess protein be unnecessary since I'm not training/working out at any high intensity level?

I generally workout for 45 minutes 4-5 times a week doing interval running/fast brisk walking.

I just thought it might be a nice way to get my macros in. Thoughts?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Why not just have 2 chicken breasts instead of 1? I almost never use my protein powders now, they are only supplementary for baked goods or will be added to e.g. yogurt if I need a protein boost and don't have any meat sources on hand. I meet my 130g protein goal just fine without protein powder, even hit my old 160g goal with just food. Protein powders are just a great convenience, I dislike them on their own.

Adding protein powder will not give you more room for eating more carbs unless you replace a high-fat/high-carb protein source with the protein powder, as they are usually very low on fat and carbs.

Whether you want to increase your protein or not is up to you. I eat higher protein because I lift, btu I'm still eating higher protein this week despite not lifting weights at all or really working out. Unless you have body composition goals or medical things to contend with, macros aren't important.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not sure what specific goals I have. I just enjoy having something to work towards and feel accomplished from, so I do tend to try and meet macros accordingly. I suppose I thought protein powder would be an easy, non hassle way to get my protein in and not have to feel as bothered with eating certain amounts of this or that. I do plan to start strength training next week, additionally.

I'm in a house of two men and a growing six year old who eat A LOT, so I try to allow the others with higher caloric needs to the extra helpings. (Seriously, no such thing as left overs or hiding special Jess "diet" food, they're beasts). I figured they wouldn't touch protein powder. It's silly, but it is what it is.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have to add protein powders to other things like a chia pudding or something because no matter the flavor, making a drink with it just isn't cutting it lol. Especially when I buy one that I end up really not liking but the investment is too much just to toss it.... It's usually the only way I can get close to protein goals even though I eat a lot of meat, dairy, etc.

Good news is you can add it to oatmeal or make some muffins/bars or something along those lines and you don't even notice the texture.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is easy (in smoothies eg), just as Quest bars (cookie dough one is my favourite). I sometimes eat those for a quick breakfast. Another way to quite easily up your protein intake is with greek yoghurt, eggs, more chicken, tuna, etc. There are a lot of foods high in protein! My diary isn't perfect (especially not the past weeks) but you can get a sense there which foods are high in protein :)
  • bubbabacon
    bubbabacon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I add vanilla spiru-tein powder to my daily shake. I added to water, instead of milk and add a banana. It's delicious... I don't chicken, but love fish. Honestly I can't have fish everyday. I get tired of it. :) feel free to add me as a friend.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely addicted to Quest's Vanilla Milkshake protein powder. It's a little more expensive than other brands, but it has a much shorter ingredients list, and has a blend of whey protein isolate and casein (two of the best, in my opinion, as they provide immediate and lasting energy). I recently got into protein powders, but tried many brands and so far Quest is the only one that doesn't taste artificial or have a bitter aftertaste. It also leaves me full, satisfied, and so full of energy! Shamefully, I never work out, but I haven't noticed any changes in terms of my weight (guess it all comes down to calories), but adding protein powder has absolutely helped me reach my protein goals! I don't know how I lived without it!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Water plus one of these:

Optimum-Nutrition-Gold-Standard-100-Whey-Double-Rich-Chocolate-748927028669.jpg

BSN-Syntha-6-Protein-Powder-Strawberry-Milk-Shake-834266007158.jpg

10530943-1395068394-710040.jpg

• kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Syntha-6 Isolate is very good and I use protein powder to help meet me protein needs and for convenience. A good time to use the powder is post work-out.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I have a shake in the afternoon. It helps me meet my protein goals and keeps me from over eating. I use a veggie protein powder with cashew milk and water. Sometimes I add pb2 or instant coffee. It's freaking awesome!!