Glasses while exercising?

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    For fogging, try putting a very little baby shampoo on the lenses, rubbing it in, then rinsing them off. Got this tip from a scuba enthusiast.

Don't have a baby nor do I wanna buy baby shampoo lol
    But I'll google alternatives

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Contacts all the way. I've used glasses, but, annoying
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've got prescription sunglasses. I have too many allergies and too severe an astigmatism on my left eye to do contacts...gotta wear sunglasses for on my bike as eye protection and even while running they work well to keep wind from irritating my eyes.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my prescription glasses when exercising. They are too expensive to risk.

I have a cheap pair of drug store glasses that I use when exercising. I put them in my pocket except for when I need to see my watch or something. Funny thing is that last week I dropped them, stepped on them, but did no damage.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    This is a problem I have yet to solve. I would just like to get lasik, but can't afford it.

I'm about to start training for a triathlon, and the thought of swimming that far in open water with a million people splashing around while I'm Damn near blind doesn't really sound good.

I guess i need to get some contacts. I've never had much luck with them due to dryness.

I am pretty sure you can get prescription swimming goggles. They'd probably be pretty expensive but might be worth it for you if you're doing the triathlon thing and swimming a lot.
    i bought +4 optical goggles from asda( walmart) for £20/$30.best sports purchase i ever made.
    try out reading glasses of varyibg strength to check requirements,then bingo.
    even seen them as cheap as $7 on amazon.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    For fogging, try putting a very little baby shampoo on the lenses, rubbing it in, then rinsing them off. Got this tip from a scuba enthusiast.

It's a buck at the dollar store. I've tried the alternatives. They're pricey and don't work so hot. Finally went and asked scuba coworker, who laughed and gave me the secret. But feel free. . .
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Www.zennioptical.com for anyone interested. Among their other glasses, they have prescription sports goggles with straps for 30 to 70 USD.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My glasses are on my face from the moment I get up to when I go to bed. I have very bad vision and can't wear contacts. I even have prescription goggles for the pool because I would not be able to see the wall, lanes, or other swimmers otherwise. Glasses are annoying when I'm dripping sweat, but I'd prefer it to seeing nothing lol. Otherwise it is up to you what you prefer.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Depends on how badly you need your glasses and what kind of exercises you're doing. My prescription isn't very strong, and I'm far-sighted, so I don't wear my glasses for running.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    I wear a pair of old glasses with a nerdy strap to keep them from falling down. Found the strap at the dollar store.

^^This is what I do. I have the "nerdiest" workout look ever, lol. But, I can always see, and if I lost/broke this old pair, I still have another backup (plus my "fancy" ones for rest of the day).

I'm totally blind without them, and I don't want to wear contacts at the gym, since I don't like having to take them out to shower (which SUCKS when I leave them in--totally glued to my corneas, yuck).
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Dollar store. What do you wash your makeup brushes in? Human shampoo?
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I wear contacts and goggles when I do laps and when I exercise I go blind!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Do not be alarmed or afraid--baby shampoo does NOT contain BABIES, nor do you need a baby (yours or someone else's) for it work for you ;) Just buy a $1 bottle (check the travel or mini-size section of the health and beauty aisle).

Another tip: I'm sensitive to mineral oil (also called "baby" oil), so a little bit of baby shampoo and eye-makeup remover removes stubborn waterproof mascara, without burning eyes.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Do not be alarmed or afraid--baby shampoo does NOT contain BABIES

Whew! I worried.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Dollar store. What do you wash your makeup brushes in? Human shampoo?

Don't wear make up so I dont have to worry about that.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

It's a buck at the dollar store. I've tried the alternatives. They're pricey and don't work so hot. Finally went and asked scuba coworker, who laughed and gave me the secret. But feel free. . .

An alternative I found was dish soap. Seeing as its something I already have on hand, no need tp waste my time or money heading to a dollar store
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have stupidly bad vision as well, but luckily can wear contacts. So, I wear contacts for cardio (another who can't stand them slipping), but just wear glasses when lifting.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't wear my glasses while exercising. i have contacts and prescription sports sunglasses for when i need or want to see like cycling or running. when i lift most of the time i just put my glasses in my gym bag, as i'm far-sighted and don't need to see distances at the gym.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I wear my contacts... my glasses are -10.5 and I find I just don't have the best peripheral vision. I also don't have to worry about them slipping either. Also, I usually hit the sauna and pool after my workout and wouldn't be able to wear my glasses in there.

8931969.png
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

I am pretty sure you can get prescription swimming goggles. They'd probably be pretty expensive but might be worth it for you if you're doing the triathlon thing and swimming a lot.

You can, and they're not as expensive as you think. About £30.
    If you swim regularly they're prob worth it.