How can you possibly estimate calories from meals at a restaurant?

Options

Replies

• fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    OK folks, I just chose all the foods from the db and added to my "Dinner" total, being liberal with the serving sizes. The total came to 1047 calories, bringing my daily total to 243 over target.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    fzermer wrote: »
    OK folks, I just chose all the foods from the db and added to my "Dinner" total, being liberal with the serving sizes. The total came to 1047 calories, bringing my daily total to 243 over target.

only being 243 over and having dinner out....for me (and only me), I'd call that a win!

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    for only once a week, i'd probably just skip logging, but that's just me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Look for like items in the database and always guesstimate up. After you do this for awhile, it gets pretty easy to grasp portion sizes.
    This. Losing weight can often be more of an art than a science.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I go out to non-chain restaurants (much more worth it, IMO) at least once a week and it's just not possible to estimate and the log something like it never works for me, as sizes are too different and the specific meal is never that similar anyway. You can do the try to reconstruct method--I always add in a bunch of extra butter--or just put in 1000 (or more if that seems more reasonable). If I have something simple (like meat and sides), I'm more likely to try to reconstruct, if I do something like several dishes shared with a table (as described), I just don't bother, but do a rough estimate and try to make sure I got a good bit of exercise that day, ideally. ;-) Anyway, I have lost fine doing this.

I don't skip logging it since I figure a rough estimate of my weekly calories is better anyway, for comparison purposes.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If I know that I'm having a 'treat' and I'm really not sure of the portion sizes at the place im going or of any of the nutritional info then I tend to go along the lines of some of the above replies.
    I log to the highest value and then quick add calories to around 200 or so to be sure I'm not under-logging.
    It's relatively easy at chain places because the nutritional info is listed but as has already been stated, 1000 calories will get you very very little at these places!

If you know you are going to be eating out and you know that the place you are going is going to have a high calorie count, I would suggest planning your day around it.. Maybe have a smaller breakfast and drink plenty water.

Most importantly, one day in a week/fortnight/month if done in 'moderation' isn't gonna destroy a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy the food and move on the next day.

I find that across the course of a week, an 'over day' usually ends up having little impact and balances out nicely.

All the best,

Adam
  • fzermer
    Options
    Update: my actual overage today was 298...Not much difference than the 243 I had posted but I want to be accurate.
    Anyway, thanks to everyone for all of the tips!
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In my experience, restaurant calories are up to twice as much as the dish would have if you made it yourself. Even from a place like Laughing Planet, the Soylent green bowl with pesto has like 690 calories!
    Imagine less healthy places and how much calorie inflation is going on!
  • fzermer
    Options
    In my experience, restaurant calories are up to twice as much as the dish would have if you made it yourself. Even from a place like Laughing Planet, the Soylent green bowl with pesto has like 690 calories!
    Imagine less healthy places and how much calorie inflation is going on!

Agreed, lulufee. Which brings me back to my original question...!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way to know since quantities will vary, sometimes adding hundreds of cals to a meal.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I will probably just call the meal 1000 cals and be done with it.

A 1000 calories of what is essentially chinese fast food is a depressingly small amount of food.

I'd consider using a bigger number...

THIS

at the very least 1500 calories. TBH it is more like way over 2000 calories if you're a normal person.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I will probably just call the meal 1000 cals and be done with it.

A 1000 calories of what is essentially chinese fast food is a depressingly small amount of food.

I'd consider using a bigger number...

yeah, i was surprised when i had chinese food, attempted to estimate it based on what is in the database and it was at least 1000 calories. you make me think it might have been more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Even from a place like Laughing Planet, the Soylent green bowl with pesto has like 690 calories!

I'm just excited to learn this is a dish. Who knew?
  • kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Always over estimate, eating out is the bane of all dieters existence. Unless it's got the calories written down I try and avoid.
  • Cookylela
    Options
    If I don't go to a restaurant that lists the nutritional value on line..........I try to estimate or just eat small portions and don't log that day. I suck at estimating. My son got a scale to measure portions at home and he is great at estimating..............I do always estimate up as many others said here. Best of luck to you!! Somehow I still lost 50 lbs slowly over the last yr. so I guess just trust in the system and keep logging when you can. Lisa
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    kmccann357 wrote: »
    Always over estimate, eating out is the bane of all dieters existence. Unless it's got the calories written down I try and avoid.

I like restaurants. I like my social life, and often that involves restaurants. Also, sometimes I just enjoy a nice meal out.

Restaurants where I live mostly don't list their calories on their menus or websites. It's just not a thing here.

So I guesstimate. And I eat half the food and take the rest home or send it back uneaten. I still enjoy my smaller portion sizes. And I'm still losing weight.

Losing weight in a lab setting is easy. Losing weight in real life, outside of closely controlled settings, is the real test, 'cause that's how I know I'm gonna be able to keep it off.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think it should be a law that all restraunts have to furnish reasonably accurate nutritional info on request.
  • thedaydreamer92
    thedaydreamer92 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    2000-2500 for a bigger meal
    1000-1500 for a smaller meal

My husband does weight watchers points, so he's pretty good at guestimating the calories per meal.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think it should be a law that all restraunts have to furnish reasonably accurate nutritional info on request.

that would make it so much easier. hopefully such a law will come in the future. although, i could see that being bad for business.
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Think of everything in half cup servings. Don't choose items that don't have complete nutritional info listed.