Bored with veggies... Need ideas!

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I'm tired of veggies. Tired of the same old broccoli, cauliflower in all forms, roasted Brussel sprouts, frozen veggies, green beans... I need suggestions badly for some low calorie vegetable sides (and kid friendly, if possible).

Help?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Have you tried homemade soup with lots of itsy bitsy pieces of veggies? Chicken noodle soup is good and my ever so picky kid likes this too.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Indian or thai food
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Turnips are my new obsession. I'm going to try some mashed tomorrow, but so far really love them cubed and roasted. They are mild.
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    Options
    Roast butternut squash, lightly sprinkled with chilli.
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Veggie Burgers? I hated them the first time I tried them but now I'm quite keen on them. I don't think I'll be much help here because I don't ever get bored with veggies. Especially with a lil bit of hummus. Or just plain steamed. And asparagus...I don't care if my pee smells funny...I love it!! :blush:
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Sautéed kale with bacon, onions, mushrooms, and peppers go with just about anything. Zucchini noodles, grilled squash, goat cheese stuffed mini bell peppers, cabbage rolls, tomatoes filled with cottage cheese and basil, zucchini lasagna, spinach and bacon stuffed chicken. I could go on and on!!!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm recently discovering that herbs and spices are my friends. :) Green beans with a little nutmeg is a classic dish I used to look forward to eating at my grandmother's house when I was a kid. (Yes, my favorite dish at Grandma's house was her GREEN BEANS! She is an excellent cook on top of that too, so that is quite something.)

Also, my husband and I have both been loving artichoke and sundried tomato stuffed chicken breast. Great protein and lots of veggies get smushed in there. Delicious!
  • kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sweetcorn
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Snow peas and mushrooms, with some garlic--either saulteed or steamed or turnip roots lightly boiled or saulteed.
  • bhanu
    bhanu Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried Kabocha squash baked fries. They are yum
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Parsnips, corn on the cob, snap beans, red peppers, sweet potatoes, artichokes, brussels sprouts
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I cook broccoli in chicken stock. I use an Herb-Ox sodium free packet in 8-16oz of water, boil the broccoli in it, and then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The flavor is much better than plain boiled broccoli! I can imagine it would be good with carrots, potatoes, and other root veggies.

I also love wilted spinach in my pasta, and I discovered that sweet potatoes baked in the oven with a little olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning by McCormick is awesome too.
  • ohi874
    ohi874 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Zucchini chips! Slice em thin on a mandolin, season them up (garlic, onion, paprika or whatever you like) spritz of oil, sprinkle of parm, lay them out on a sheet pan bake at 450 for 20 ish mins a little more/less depending on thinkness. 2 large zucchini are only about 80 calories
  • ohi874
    ohi874 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Plus u c a n do the same with just about any root veg and a lot of others, just gotta play with your food. Sorry about the additional post tablet won't let me edit above.
  • sdwdickson
    sdwdickson Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just tried marinating raw veggies, loved it. Lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Marinade overnight. I did mushrooms, zucchini, and red pepper.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Why do they have to be low cal? Why not just look for veggies etc that you know you like and eat those? I can easily eat potatoes and corn even though they are both higher in calorie because I just love them. I'll eat lots of carrots, snap peas, and sweet peppers in volume because I just love them taste-wise and they are calorie-friendly. But I don't choose my veggies based on their degree of calorie-denseness other than for that specific day/meal.

Or idk, just add cheese over your broccoli.

Just a side note, I remember you posted about regularly going over your cal goal and thus wiping out your deficit overall.. I wonder if maybe focusing too much on how calorie dense food is contributes? I know that the more rules and restrictions I have on myself the more likely I am to be unhappy with my weight loss experience.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas. I like them raw, but they're effing DELICIOUS when steamed. I also really like steamed yellow squash with lemon juice.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    ohi874 wrote: »
    Zucchini chips! Slice em thin on a mandolin, season them up (garlic, onion, paprika or whatever you like) spritz of oil, sprinkle of parm, lay them out on a sheet pan bake at 450 for 20 ish mins a little more/less depending on thinkness. 2 large zucchini are only about 80 calories

Definitely trying this!
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good veggie cookbook? There are lots of them out there. My favorite is Moosewood. So many great ideas in that book. Also, have you tried raw food? Lots of great recipes in those raw cookbooks. <3
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Why do they have to be low cal? Why not just look for veggies etc that you know you like and eat those? I can easily eat potatoes and corn even though they are both higher in calorie because I just love them. I'll eat lots of carrots, snap peas, and sweet peppers in volume because I just love them taste-wise and they are calorie-friendly. But I don't choose my veggies based on their degree of calorie-denseness other than for that specific day/meal.

Or idk, just add cheese over your broccoli.

Just a side note, I remember you posted about regularly going over your cal goal and thus wiping out your deficit overall.. I wonder if maybe focusing too much on how calorie dense food is contributes? I know that the more rules and restrictions I have on myself the more likely I am to be unhappy with my weight loss experience.

I'm just looking for new ideas. Often I'm low on calories in the evening so I need lower calories options, but I'm open to anything really. It just seems that I'm rotating a lot between the same kind of veggies and it's just getting boring.

And believe me, I'm not restricting myself one bit...