Underage girls on MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I say report them, but I doubt that will stop them from making another account. People are going to do what they're gonna do, so I think getting their account deleted won't make of a difference sadly...:/
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When they're underage but not seemingly ED i tend to direct them to Spark Teens, then report. If they are also ED i link them to the support bit and report.
  • cottony
    cottony Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    it's quite absurd,yes,but if i think about it,my weight loss started when i was 16 and not in the healthiest way,i tried some diets and thought about losing weight since middle school,but i was overweight or even obese.But these days many standards are based on photoshopped girls or girls who use drastic diets to stay skinny,few weeks ago my 9 year old sister told me she tried a 'diet' for one day-it shocked me but i luckily know that she won't say no if i buy snacks and bake some goodies.
    Girls think about dieting in a very early age and we can't really do anything about it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There are something like a dozen of these profiles created every day. Some of them are trolls, and some are kids with legitimate EDs looking for attention. Usually their profiles say that they're 18, but their first posts are all about how they can't eat more than 600 calories without feeling sick, or how they feel "gross" while already underweight and want to lose more.

I suppose on a weight loss website, it's inevitable that there will be some of this sort of thing going on. It's hard to screen for it, and if you shut down one profile they'll just create another. But I agree, it's very sad when you see it.
  • winterWind341
    winterWind341 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You should report her for her own good. She will most likely make another account but you can't control that. As for the teens using MFP i think its ok ONLY IF their parents know and see their diaries every day and make sure that their deficit is not too big (under 1300 we are talking about teens that are developing and that is very low for their age) and by teens i mean 16 and up. Anyone younger should not diet whitout a medical supervision. Let's be honest its better for them to track calories and lose the weight the healthy way then to do fad diets like 6 weeks to omg or something like that. This is my opinion and i know that many will disagree but we are all have different opinions and that is completely ok.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You should report her for her own good. She will most likely make another account but you can't control that. As for the teens using MFP i think its ok ONLY IF their parents know and see their diaries every day and make sure that their deficit is not too big (under 1300 we are talking about teens that are developing and that is very low for their age) and by teens i mean 16 and up. Anyone younger should not diet whitout a medical supervision. Let's be honest its better for them to track calories and lose the weight the healthy way then to do fad diets like 6 weeks to omg or something like that. This is my opinion and i know that many will disagree but we are all have different opinions and that is completely ok.

MFP is only for 18 and up, so even with parental supervision, they should go use SparkTeens or something.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    slucki01 wrote: »
    if you're online, there's a "contact us" link at the bottom of the page

yes I am, but the link doesn't have a generic contact form. Not sure which form I'd be using for this

I've reported underage users via the Contact Us link > "Frequently Asked Questions" > "Or Email Us", and then selecting "other" as my reason for emailing them.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

That would be good advice, except that one of MFPs terms of use is that you have to be 18 or over. There are websites (Sparkteens for example) that do what you're describing, but MFP isn't it.

Not only that, MFP can set its own guidelines, and it only wants legal adults on its site. Trying to bypass their rules even with the best intentions and parental supervision is against the TOS.

This really isn't a site for kids, and I agree; Sparkteens is geared directly for that population.
  • winterWind341
    winterWind341 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did not know about sparkteens (had to Google that) and that changes pretty much everything. I mean if i didn't know maby they don't either. If you do find someone underaged here tell them about that site and then report them. I personaly did not but if i do I'll make sure i do that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The whole thing about just creating another profile reminds me of our friend vishkram
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    was at work, thanks everyone, I'll be contacting a mod!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Some of them maybe don't know about Sparkteens. But I suspect a lot of them are here because they don't want to be in an environment where they'll be told to eat healthy amounts of food for growing teenage bodies. I think many of them *want* validation and attention for their unhealthy and disordered eating, and they find it here more than they find it there.

(Also, I suspect that many of them aren't 14-year-old girls at all, but 47-year-old trolls getting their jollies. But that's another story.)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    As cruel as it sounds I would definitely contact a mod. This is not a website for kids. They should be talking to their parents not strangers online. Unfortunately I suspect there would be some members that actually would give those kids advice and I say that because we have seen plenty of times when a child posts for advice, they are told they are too young and then you have members that will defend the child being here.

Agree