Ready Meals...?

Options
Are they ok to have as lunch time meals? i never usually eat any processed food but iv been finding it a real struggle to have decent lunches without getting bored of soups and salads, and sandwiches can be very high in calories or i find that i need a little something extra with a sandwich.

I was thinking of getting a few diet ready meals to fill in the gaps so i can accuratly measure the calories im eating. does anyone have any good brands that i can get in the uk?

i will still be planning to make my own dinners as usual.

Replies

• lilbattychic
    Options
    Ok heres my dirty little secret ;) I mainly rely on thos for my dinner, my lunch is usually pretty much the same. But heres the fun part of my secret, i eat some processed food and STILL LOSE WEIGHT! ^.^ I know it doesnt look like it on here but ive lost almost 20 lb. over the past two months. The key is not what you eat its how much you eat. Not to say that you should go out and live on twinkies and soda. But I want you to see that it is not so important. I am a vegetarian so i have even fewer choices. I love the lean frozen dinners because like you said it adds variety and i am loving it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can make your own ready meals at home for your lunches and track the calories and ingredients that you choose. You can grill and portion almost any meat, freeze it into single servings - choose your veggies (they steam easily in a microwave in just about 1 -2 minutes depending on the microwave. You can choose pasta, rice, whatever type of carb you like as well.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    We use frozen meals quite often, whether they are "diet" or not. A small frozen dinner makes a great lunch with calories in the 250-350 range, and protein, carbs, and fat (which help fill you up and keep you satisfied). I don't know of anything specific to the UK, but read the labels and look for things that are in that calorie range, and preferably without a ton of sodium.

A tip for sandwiches: use whole-grain bread, the "standard" sized slice (many whole grain breads have giant slices, which add calories everywhere), and use mustard rather than mayo or dressing, it's calorie free! Then some lean meat and a slice of cheese (we use 2% milk American cheese slices, low cal, plus they are a real dairy). Add in veggies, either on the sandwich or on the side, to help fill you up with very few calories. It's maybe more calories than a salad, but a good option.

Either way (sandwich or prepared meal), you can plan your dinner appropriately to balance out your nutrients for the day.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Ok heres my dirty little secret ;) I mainly rely on thos for my dinner, my lunch is usually pretty much the same. But heres the fun part of my secret, i eat some processed food and STILL LOSE WEIGHT! ^.^ I know it doesnt look like it on here but ive lost almost 20 lb. over the past two months. The key is not what you eat its how much you eat. Not to say that you should go out and live on twinkies and soda. But I want you to see that it is not so important. I am a vegetarian so i have even fewer choices. I love the lean frozen dinners because like you said it adds variety and i am loving it.

And don't forget, the goal is to make this a permanent lifestyle change, or the weight will come right back. Might as well start now with something you can live with long term!
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know what I should eat to lose weight (and have lost 100 pounds), but I tried substituting some of those frozen meals for healthy lunches for a while (because it was easier) and actually gained weight. The preservatives and stuff that they put in those are not good for you at all! I see tons of people at work eating them every day and not one of them has lost any weight. I say stear clear of them as much as possible! I agree with jjdevore - just make your own "ready meals." I make all my lunches for the week on Sunday night (and sometimes Wednesday if I run out), and it works out great! :)

Good Luck to you! :)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, i never really thought about making my own ready meals. im just so rubbish with portion sizes!! i suppose i could make a spaghetti bolognaise or lasagne and freeze it.

i know ready bought meals have alot of preservatives and sodium in them but im totally at a dead end for lunch ideas and if i bring in a boring lunch i dont want to eat it and end up buying a sandwich which has over 400 cals in it and that sandwich wont satisfy me because its tiny. lol i hate diets at the best of times, i just want more variety.

i will deffo try the homemade ready meal idea. any foods which work best when i only have a microwave at work and i dont want anything that will smell out my office! lol

Thanks xxx
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    i will deffo try the homemade ready meal idea. any foods which work best when i only have a microwave at work and i dont want anything that will smell out my office! lol

Fun thing to do... I'm trying my first "Homemade Frozen Dinner" for lunch today. My local dollar store had the flat square rubbermaid food containers on sale so I picked up a bunch.

1 c. brown/wild rice
    3 oz cooked chicken (used breast tenders and cut them in bite size pieces)
    3 oz mixed frozen veggies
    2 Tbsp custom sauce (in today's case I made a Thai inspired lime sauce).

I can't wait for lunch. I made six of 'em last night and will be making a beef-ish style tonight for day to day variety.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Fun thing to do... I'm trying my first "Homemade Frozen Dinner" for lunch today. My local dollar store had the flat square rubbermaid food containers on sale so I picked up a bunch.

1 c. brown/wild rice
    3 oz cooked chicken (used breast tenders and cut them in bite size pieces)
    3 oz mixed frozen veggies
    2 Tbsp custom sauce (in today's case I made a Thai inspired lime sauce).

I can't wait for lunch. I made six of 'em last night and will be making a beef-ish style tonight for day to day variety.

That sauce sounds great! If you have a sweet tooth, you can marinade your chicken in canned peaches and cinnamon too!
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am based in the UK and pretty much agree with what everyone says about the processed food issues. However I am a busy nurse and don't always have time or energy to cook, prepare food especially if I end up late at work...

I have found that the Marks and Spencer range of "Count on Us" foods has a good range with minimum preservatives but also check out there other ready meals for example last night I had Haddock Mornay from their "Meal for One" range it came with mashed potato and veg and was a total of 340 cals.... (I was really full and had this as my main meal) I have just dug the packaging out of the recycling box and there were no preservatives on the ingredients list...

Hope this helps

Lucy
  • crbruner
    crbruner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Amy's Organic is my latest addiction. They are all organic meals that are great and do not taste like frozen food! They have a light and fit line that is low cal too, but even the regular line is pretty decent on calories. I love these because they are not processed and taste like I jsut You can find them at Target, Walmart, and Krogers. I'm not sure if you have a Kroger where you live but I know ours has a natural section that has a varitey of different frozen options that are organic and usually without all the additives.
  • Big_Dancer
    Big_Dancer Posts: 17
    Options
    For my lunches, I make a lot of food on the weekend or at the beginning of the week and then take it for lunches throughout the week, or I take leftover dinner from the previous night. As far a portion control, get a kitchen scale and measuring cups. It seems like kind of a pain but it's really easy and makes me feel better about knowing exactly how much I am eating. I weigh and measure everything I cook and eat.