Possibly eating too little?

Options

Replies

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

you would not be adding muscle weight on a deficit. this would not be the reason.

Why do people keep repeating this statement like it's gospel? It's not true. You can add muscle while on a calorie deficit.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Now i saw some cup entrees and tps etc so i think you eat more than you think and that can be a reason why you dont lose weight.

She's losing 1+ pound per week.

I think the problem here is patience, not diet. :)

kk sorry hehe
    thought she was saying that 1200 calories a day wasn't enough and made her tired and hungry. Not about she want losing weight (enough)

• toddbradley404
    Options
    All I know is MyFitnessPal nagged at me pretty seriously the day that I ate significantly under my calorie limit. I think it assumed I was going all eating disorder.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

you would not be adding muscle weight on a deficit. this would not be the reason.

Why do people keep repeating this statement like it's gospel? It's not true. You can add muscle while on a calorie deficit.

you can add muscle while your overall weight increases or even decreases less than it would have had you not been lifting? i doubt this. you can't create matter out of nothing.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options

read the first link. i see no mention of you overall gaining weight while on a calorie deficit upon reading it quickly. it also says it requires a fanatical attention to detail which i doubt is what the o.p. is doing.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else notice that 1200 net calories seems too little?

The last few weeks I've been pretty diligent about tracking food, working out 3-4 days per week yet I haven't lost much weight (although I have lost inches but clothes seems to be fitting better)...BUT I've felt very tired/worn out...the last 2 days I've cheated a bit and not had time to work out....I woke up this morning feeling amazing/energized/happy...

Could this be bc I've been too calorie restrictive?

Any advice welcome...

Did you set your goal to 2 lbs per week?
    With only 30 lbs to lose, set your goal to 1 lb per week. Eat those calories + half of your exercise calories. Make sure you are logging honestly and accurately.

Yes, not eating enough can make you feel tired and worn out. It can also keep you from doing your best in your workouts. Good luck!
  • getfitrenee22
    Options
    Now i saw some cup entrees and tps etc so i think you eat more than you think and that can be a reason why you dont lose weight.

kk sorry hehe
    thought she was saying that 1200 calories a day wasn't enough and made her tired and hungry. Not about she want losing weight (enough)

I was saying 1200seems too little...bc I am tired & hungry....so far I'm happy with the weight loss/ inches lost...just wondering if anyone else has noticed these feelings/low energy when restricting calories?

• BWBTrish
    Options
    no and i do 1200 too and eat 1/4 back of my training.

but i eat pretty balanced. And everybody is different for me its enough for now. But when i do more i eat more to fuel my body

( so after all i understood it right lol)
  • Aviva92
    Options

kk sorry hehe

I was saying 1200seems too little...bc I am tired & hungry....so far I'm happy with the weight loss/ inches lost...just wondering if anyone else has noticed these feelings/low energy when restricting calories?

oh! i misunderstood that entirely. yeah, you should eat more if you have low energy. i never did. that is not ideal for your health imo.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Look at my diary and yours
    there is a huge difference in how much fresh food i eat and protein and yours

maybe that there is the problem
    But like i said I do well on this, doesnt mean others do :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Google isn't exactly a reputable source, especially not a forum. Try a scientific database like NIH NLM, Pubmed, etc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

kk sorry hehe

Increase calorie intake if you are feeling fatigued. 1200 kcal's is low for most but some individuals won't lose unless they eat 1200 kcal's.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

It doesn't matter where your calories come from unless you have a metabolic disorder where the body doesn't efficiently use the hormone insulin. In which case, most individuals won't lose weight unless they limit carbohydrate intake and focus on the types of carbs they eat. Otherwise, all that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back your exercise calories. In your case, your burns are really high, so I would eat back half. If you find you're still hungry, then lower the aggressiveness of loss, and you'll get more calories that way.
    As for your diary, start weighing. Cups aren't accurate for anything except liquids.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options

It doesn't matter where your calories come from unless you have a metabolic disorder where the body doesn't efficiently use the hormone insulin. In which case, most individuals won't lose weight unless they limit carbohydrate intake and focus on the types of carbs they eat. Otherwise, all that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

but i'm pretty sure we aren't talking about weight loss at this point. the o.p. was saying that she feels weak and ungood based on her low calories. for that, it certainly does matter if you're getting quality calories and the right nutrients. for weight loss alone, maybe not, but that isn't her problem here. her o.p. was misleading as to what she meant.

actually, now that i think about it, i went a period of time this summer that i felt terrible. i didn't know why. then i made it a point to eat more fish and suddenly felt great. i have a feeling i was missing some important nutrients causing extreme fatigue.
  • BWBTrish
    edited February 2015
    Options

For me it sure does matter
    when i eat 1200 calories a day of donuts i feel hungry and tired
    when i eat 1200 calories of a balanced diet and i set my protein a bit higher i dont feel hungry at all or tired.
    So yes it sure can make a difference what you eat.

So looking at her kind of food i say that maybe she should try to up the protein intake.

For some people it is fat others carbs. Its worth to try it out, and the easiest way is up your calories lol.

But eating a balanced diet helps for me.

( and besides that i eat a lot more food than her even do my calories amount is the same)
  • Aviva92
    Options

when i eat 1200 calories of a balanced diet and i set my protein a bit higher i dont feel hungry at all or tired.

So looking at her kind of food i say that maybe she should try to up the protein intake.

For some people it is fat others carbs. Its worth to try it out, and the easiest way is up your calories lol.

( and besides that i eat a lot more food than her even do my calories amount is the same)

yeah, when i'm only eating 1200 calories a day, i tried to not eat many in things like donuts. i'd be starving and not be able to stick to 1200 calories.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Except not many people eat 1200 calories of donuts a day (unless they are bulking and need 4000+ calories in order to gain weight in which case eating 1200 calories of donuts is perfectly acceptable because it's helping them meet their goals)… So you are trying to compare apples to oranges.

I definitely agree that she needs more protein and should probably be eating closer to 1500-1600 calories based on her activity level.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Certainly not comparing apples with oranges
    She eats not a lot of veggies and fruits and proteins

She eat some very dense foods that are calorie hogs, but hardly any nutritional value.

And yes 1200 is not for everybody and i certainly not promote it without medical support.
    And this is a good example why.

People have to realize when you eat a low calorie diet for a while that still you need to get your nutrition's. You have to learn to listen to your body and eat at least 1/4 or 1/2 back of your training/burn calories.

Eating very low in calories is not hard at all. Eating enough nutrition's to keep your body going in a healthy way for a certain time ( like i have to do) is totally different and needs good planning and thinking.