Gardening

Options
13»

Replies

• MrsBennefield
    MrsBennefield Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread and hoping to make new friends that have a passion for gardening to share tips and yummy recipes. Thanks to everyone for responding. This will be fun!
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I can lift for hours, cardio for hours, I garden for 10 mins and I am done and over with and ready for bed. My hat off to all of you

Yes!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love my garden! I harvested 300+ pounds last (I'm a big nerd and keep track). I will hopefully add another bed this spring and add to my berry patch and orchard. My son and I just started some small pots of herbs and flowers because I love to have fresh picked food and something growing. I've gotten to the point that's about the only way I can eat fruit. I actually enjoy canning- it's like a reminder of summer every time I open a jar :)
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love gardening! There's something to be said about eating a tomato right off the vine in the middle of Summer. Heaven!! Our yard is 1/5th of an acre (kinda small) and a lot of it is lawn (which I plan to remedy), but we're usually pretty prolific with tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash and strawberries. We also have raspberries, Granny Smiths, Macintosh, cherries, peaches, apricots and pears as a permanent residence. :)
  • BillCaramana
    Options
    For all of the gardeners in winter regions... I live in Pennsylvavia and decided this year to bring five pepper plants inside for the winter to see what happens. I transplanted them in large pots before the first frost (early October). I brought them into our foyer, which faces south and has many windows and a sun roof. I tried to pick pepper plants that had a number of smaller peppers already started. I received a yield of peppers around Christmas time. It does not appear that any new peppers are going to come out, but they are still alive. I am going to plant them in the spring and see if I can get early pepper yield out on them. I will update to let you know what happens.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So we lost our house and now rent a place. I want to do some container gardening and plan on tomatoes and lettuce but not sure what else just yet.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love gardening, both flowers and vegetables. Started using Epsom salts a few years ago and they really do make a difference toward having the vegetables produce.

I also started canning a few years ago and I love it. Right now, when the weather is horrible, cold, and snowy, it's great to take out a jar of peaches or green beans or sauce and eat them. And I love seeing them in my pantry, knowing that I grew them (or at least bought them locally) and that all the ingredients are wholesome. If you've never canned, don't be intimidated- there are a lot of easy recipes that don't require a lot of time or equipment. Check for Ball canning recipes.

Container gardening is wonderful! Did that for years when all we had was a deck at our old house. As long as the container is deep and wide enough, plants should thrive. Most people who wonder why their tomatoes and such didn't do well is because the containers just weren't big enough. Those Topsy Turvy tomato planters can be used for a bunch of things, too, not just tomatoes.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For all of the gardeners in winter regions... I live in Pennsylvavia and decided this year to bring five pepper plants inside for the winter to see what happens. I transplanted them in large pots before the first frost (early October). I brought them into our foyer, which faces south and has many windows and a sun roof. I tried to pick pepper plants that had a number of smaller peppers already started. I received a yield of peppers around Christmas time. It does not appear that any new peppers are going to come out, but they are still alive. I am going to plant them in the spring and see if I can get early pepper yield out on them. I will update to let you know what happens.

I live in Western PA and have always thought about trying that, so glad you posted your results. We have a large, heated sun room that faces due east and would get sun, but I've always been skeptical about how well vegetable plants would do. Thanks for the post.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love gardening, both flowers and vegetables. Started using Epsom salts a few years ago and they really do make a difference toward having the vegetables produce.

I also started canning a few years ago and I love it. Right now, when the weather is horrible, cold, and snowy, it's great to take out a jar of peaches or green beans or sauce and eat them. And I love seeing them in my pantry, knowing that I grew them (or at least bought them locally) and that all the ingredients are wholesome. If you've never canned, don't be intimidated- there are a lot of easy recipes that don't require a lot of time or equipment. Check for Ball canning recipes.

Container gardening is wonderful! Did that for years when all we had was a deck at our old house. As long as the container is deep and wide enough, plants should thrive. Most people who wonder why their tomatoes and such didn't do well is because the containers just weren't big enough. Those Topsy Turvy tomato planters can be used for a bunch of things, too, not just tomatoes.

Hi tekkiechikk, Can you elaborate on the Epsom Salt? How do you use it? Is it good for all vegtables? thx
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    We have been having a super cold spell again, and it is currently snowing and blowing. I think hubby and I can both be caught staring out the window at the snow filled garden! I just want to be warm again, for so many reasons. Not as bad here as last year, but this week has been awful again.
    This year I need to plan ahead more for fungus control. We had a rainy summer last year, which my horses loved...the pasture grass was spectacular all summer, no late summer die off at all. And I never watered the garden. But fungus was among us and it really reduced yield on some things. Keeping the viney stuff separated enough is always a problem, so I am looking to take more of that vertical this year, to keep the air movement. Hoping that will help. Would rather not be doing a ton of spraying...
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love love love gardening. I want to start canning this year, I had an overflow of tomatoes last year!

I just extended my backyard this winter by buying more land around my house and now have a full acre to play with! Looking forward to lots of veggies this summer and I would like to plant a couple of peach, pears and apple trees.....now all I need is to win the lottery, those trees are expensive!