Thread for Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, other?

Options
I've done a few searches for those of us with extenuating circumstances and have seen there are several of us out there. I thought it would be good to have a daily thread for the crazies (or whatever word doesn't insult you; this is my personal favorite to call myself in a loving fashion).
Anyone interested?

I'm bipolar 2, diagnosed last year. Dealing with implication of how that affects my eating and my motivation, and how the meds mess with my weight.

Replies

• eraser51
    eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I heard workout helps to boost Serotonin and lowers depression.

Is this correct?

I got a light depression diagnosed and been in therapy... maybe I should start a workout?!

Would love to chat a bit :)
  • shmelzy
    shmelzy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar/anxiety/borderline personality disorder so i totally love this idea! I struggled so much and between hospital stays and med changes and gained about 75 lbs. I can't be stable without meds at this point in my life so it's frustrating. I'm trying really hard though! i don't want my mental health issues to hold me back anymore. they took the past year of my life away. that isn't okay. i gotta take the wheel and regain my health.

I love this thread idea.

and anyone who wants to add me can. always looking for friends and motivation :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Threads tend to get buried...we have a group if anyone is interested:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101212-haven
  • 39in39
    39in39 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So, anyone around?
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety. Been dealing with it for the last 15 years.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II, fortunately the meds I'm on are weight-neutral so weight-gain due to meds hasn't been a problem. But finding a balance with weight loss is just as much of a struggle as finding a balance with everything else in my life. One day at a time :)
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bipolar NOS! Sersiously affects me in the days I work out or don't work out. Diagnosed two years ago. Any of you feel free to friend me!
  • 39in39
    Options
    I do so well til I have an episode, then all my hard work goes all to Hades. It's just so frustrating.
  • stellerceramics
    stellerceramics Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was dagnosed bipolar in 2005- after several manic episodes, many different prescribed cocktails from well meaning MDS and 2 years on the carousel I quit drinking with aa and God's grace. It was either quit drinking or go on medications. Fast forward 7&1/2 years- haven't had a drink or an episode and only take chewable vitamins and the occasional Advil. One thing I know that affects my equilibrium is getting enough sleep. For me it was a matter of what I wanted and what I was willing to do to get it. What I wanted was health- mental, physical and spiritual well-being, and the road go get it looks a lot like what you would expect. Doing the working out, eating healthfully, fresh air and all the rest. Not expecting to be perfect at it and not giving up even if stuck in what seems an unsurpassable mire of muck. Knowing also that despite all the work effort I put in, all the glory belongs to God. Leaning on grace always and helping whomever I can while I'm on my way. sorry if I've overshared- first post, and maybe all this belongs someplace else, but I just wanted to shine on some encouragement- good luck everybody!
    t
  • 39in39
    Options
    Love it, stellar. Thanks.
  • edises1
    edises1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I was surprised too. I have bp2 ptsd. I'm on 5 psych meds plus blood pressure and cholesterol. I was a fast food junkie. I've noticed I'm getting hypo mania. I think it's the change in food.Anyone have this experience?
  • 39in39
    Options
    My shrink says that mania can be brought on by changes in habits, diet, sleep patterns, etc. Maybe once you set up anew habit of healthy food it will settle?
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with depression and anxiety all my life. But in my family, feeling and things of that nature were not discussed. My sister keep saying recently "you have to choose to be happy every day.. you can't keep wallowing in self pity". Just so we are clear she had gained over 50 lbs (heaviest in her life) and enjoying wine way too much. I don't want to get to that point. I am not happy in my life but I put on a brave face because that what we do in my life.

Finally decided enough was enough.. Started therapy a few weeks ago. Therapist warned it was gonna get worse before it gets better , because I am finally "FEELING MY FEELINGS" if that makes sense, instead of suppressing behind a smile, a put together appearance.. and then hiding away and eating and sleeping through them. SHE WAS TOTALLY right. I have been more emotional lately and it is really really hard, I am a bit sad all of the time but I know it is a journey that I have decided to take, so this is part of it.

I want to learn who I am, how I really want to live and in order to do that I need to deal with things I have hide from most of my life. I am hopeful therapy will help.
  • edises1
    Options
    Because your halfway there already. You've identified and accepted you have a mental illness. Now you've taken a positive step forward by deciding on therapy. Two things to remember:

stigma, remember that mental illnesses are physical illnesses with environmental triggers.
    Never give up hope.
  • edises1
    Options
    I have lost 14 pounds in the last 14 days. I needed to lose a total of 57 lbs. I knew I would drop a few pounds quickly, but not this fast. I'm eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Should I be concerned at this point in losing weight too fast?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 but think im bpd. I have alot to lose and going bavk and forth eith a episode and stress. Definitely not enough sleep a almost 1 yea r old a almost 7 y o and a 12 yo eho I believe might be having mrntal illness too.
  • lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a really bad anxiety disorder , it is way way out of hand 3 months ago I ended up in the hospital with a bowel obstruction I could not handle it In the hospital 5 days ready to rip everything out and leave the hospital worst days of my life. I refuse to go back if I get another one I would rather die than go through that again that is how bad it is I am trying to change my life with my weight loss and other surrounding problems I have hoping it will go away so I could use as many friends like myself as I could get Kimberly
  • stellerceramics
    stellerceramics Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Willingness is the key- some just take a little more pressure than others. If you are willing to do whatever it takes, try a meeting of overeaters anonymous? 12 step recovery (in aa) has been for me the lifesaving saving difference between hating myself and everyone around me EVERY DAY and peace. The willingness to change that came from the extreme mental anguish I was in has turned out to be one of the greatest blessings in my life. Its difficult and painful- I know what that feels like. You are not alone in it. God bless - keep reaching out
  • 39in39
    Options
    edises1 wrote: »
    I have lost 14 pounds in the last 14 days. I needed to lose a total of 57 lbs. I knew I would drop a few pounds quickly, but not this fast. I'm eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Should I be concerned at this point in losing weight too fast?

Maybe but it depends on the quality of your food. I didn't look at your diary or your current weight but it can be possible. Just be careful.
    Cheers.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Depression. Starting Wellbutrin. Anyone have experience with this.