How did you decide your weight loss goal?

Options
13»

Replies

• shaleeny88
    Options
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    I checked myself against the BMI measurements. My BMI was normal so i just decided to maintain my weight and tone up my body in time for the summer.

My BMI was normal when I started (but one pound from being overweight, which is why I got on here and set a small goal). But since I look the same maybe I should've taken your approach. How are you going about toning up?

I'm using ankle and wrist weights to tone up, im also doing squats and sit up. Body is rather aching but the 6 pack has already started to show up
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I checked myself against the BMI measurements. My BMI was normal so i just decided to maintain my weight and tone up my body in time for the summer.

My BMI was normal when I started (but one pound from being overweight, which is why I got on here and set a small goal). But since I look the same maybe I should've taken your approach. How are you going about toning up?

I'm using ankle and wrist weights to tone up, im also doing squats and sit up. Body is rather aching but the 6 pack has already started to show up

Awesome. Good for you, and thanks!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my goal is 160, but that is subject to change. I picked that weight because it was what I weighed when I met my husband, and was pretty easy for me to maintain. However, lately, I have been thinking more about body fat %, and think I would rather work towards getting to 23.25%. And why this number? It is exactly half of my starting body fat %. (However, I would be happy to get it down to 25%. Right now I am at 32.9%, so I've already lost 13.6 percentage points from where I started, for a 29% reduction in body fat.)
  • MickeyCastello
    MickeyCastello Posts: 269
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am a 65 year old 5'8" male. I started out at 216. My doctor suggested 160, no less than 150 pounds. I got to 155, but seem to hover around 150 - 155 in maintenance. He suggested three goals to get me there: <190, then <170, and then 160.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    1. It was the top end for a normal BMI at WW years and years ago.
    2. It's easy for me to maintain long term without obsessing.
    3. My body fat % is in the middlish of normal at that weight, and the rule on one side of my family tree is that you get diabetes if you're overweight. I don't want diabetes.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    3. My body fat % is in the middlish of normal at that weight, and the rule on one side of my family tree is that you get diabetes if you're overweight. I don't want diabetes.

My family, too. Uncles and aunts, grandfather, and now father. Unlucky for my father, he was not overweight and never got the pre-diabetes diagnosis as a warning. This is what got me scared straight!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Right now Im setting up mini goals. Like my BMI when I started was 28.1 and 196lbs, so my first goal is to a BMI of 27 (2lbs to go!!!), next to 26 then to 25 (174lbs)...which is when I should be back in my healthy range.

Then from there I'll decide whether or not I want to lose more or not. Important to me at this point though is just getting within my healthy range...I've been struggling with that for many years now, so that's what I'm working towards. Doing mini goals this time around is helping me with my perspective a lot.
  • MBL512
    MBL512 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My goal weight has been determined by where I know I have been satisfied in the past. I have set up several goal weights. Once I reach each goal, I take a break from actively trying to lose. I try to maintain for 2-3 weeks, and then jump back into losing. I seem to keep myself feeling stronger and healthier this way. I know this isn't the right approach for everyone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I used some online calculator to get a rough estimate of what my weight would likely be at my desired level of BF%.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options

My family, too. Uncles and aunts, grandfather, and now father. Unlucky for my father, he was not overweight and never got the pre-diabetes diagnosis as a warning. This is what got me scared straight!

I actually started when I read your post. Oh lord, that must scary! It's somethingnthat scares me. I've been told you can lower your risk by being at a normal weight, but not eliminate it. Your dad sounds like he did everything right.

Still, I'm late on my biannual blood test by 6 months and excused it by the fact that I don't have symptoms and I'm normal weight. I need to get my test done. No excuses.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've had interim milestones, but no end goal. My next milestone is to move from obese to overweight on the bmi scale. I'm 4 pounds away. After that, I suppose it's the lowest I've been in my adult life (and then only briefly), which is another 15 pounds. And then, I don't know.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I was an athlete in high school and weighed 170 pounds. I consider that to be my ideal weight.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I picked the high end of what is the healthy weight for my height but I didn't care to much since it was and is a long way off. I'll get more specific when I get closer.

Considering I'm lifting weights and kick boxing etc I am not sure if I get down to that weight but I guess if I'm overweight because of muscles I think I will be ok.