Cottage Cheese

Options
Hey all,

I just tried cottage cheese for my first time the other day and I didn't mind it and I noticed how good the nutrition is and I think it'd be a great way for me to get my protein, but it kind of grosses me out just eating it plain. How do you eat your cottage cheese? Do you put it on bread? Do you mix it with something?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Bratkins
    Bratkins Posts: 47
    Options
    I put a little bit of garlic powder and pepper. Salt sometimes as well if I'm feeling cheeky. :)
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    with fruit its pretty good
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    try mixing it with fresh fruit :)
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Peaches, pineapple, blueberries, ect...
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    try mixing it with some jam, any flavor. Cottage cheese is one of those things I've always hated because of the texture... it grosses me out... but it's not half bad with some jelly. :o)
  • hmschultz
    hmschultz Posts: 32
    Options
    I mix mine with Dole Harvest Best sliced peaches. Protein and a fruit/veggie at the same time! :-)
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like my cottage cheese with fruit--especially pears. It is a great source of protein but it is horrible in sodium.
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    I don't like cottage cheese when it's sweet (with fruit, etc.) so I like have it with pepper (sometimes a tad of salt), on crackers, cucumbers, as dressing on a salad, on baked potatoes, etc....
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with tostidos tortilla chips! It's yummy! :)
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    I mix is with frozen mixed berries (thaw the berries first)
    Mix it in apple sauce
    Mix in Chives and dill
    Put it in pasta sauce

Those are my "recipes", and I'm interested to see everyoen elses! I just love cottage cheese!
  • tammeygail
    tammeygail Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Its also good mixed with apple sauce or on tomatoe slices
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    I like mine mixed with fresh tomatoes!
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I use it in different ways.

3 favorites:

1) Top with a little fat free thousand island dressing, chopped red onion and raisins. I know it sounds disgusting but it's REALLY good- apparently an old weight watchers recipe from the 70's or something.
    2) Mixed with ranch seasoning and chickpeas- great on a salad/baked potato/sandwich.
    3) With sliced banana and granola...the sweet/savory combination is amazing.

I like it a lot with fruit like canned peaches or fresh melon, but it's great in omelettes or with salsa on crackers/lettuce wraps.

Another idea: mix with thawed chopped spinach, an egg white and season. Then layer in baking dish with spaghetti sauce and eggplant strips (cut lengthwise). Make a few layers and start/finish with layer of spaghetti sauce then bake covered for 40 mins or so- the last 10 mins, uncover and add some parmesan then cook until golden.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I mix it with yogurt! It is the BEST!!!! I also like it blended up in milk shakes..

If you blend it until its not chunky anymore, and then mix it with one snack size pudding cup its REALLY good, and it bumps up the protein level.

I like it blended with seasonings, like ranch powedered dressing mix, or onion garlic and then eat it as a dip with veggies.

the possibilities are endless, simply because it doesn't have a very strong taste, you can add it to casserols, and pasta, and all sorts of stuff and ups the protein.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I just tried cottage cheese for my first time the other day and I didn't mind it and I noticed how good the nutrition is and I think it'd be a great way for me to get my protein, but it kind of grosses me out just eating it plain. How do you eat your cottage cheese? Do you put it on bread? Do you mix it with something?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!

My breakfast is 122 grams of Knudsen's low fat cottage cheese on one slice of toasted Orowheat Double Fiber bread. There's 100 calories in the cottage cheese and 70 in the bread.

I like the salty flavor and the chewy mouthfeel.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet....
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Triscuits topped with cottage cheese:smile:
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    pineapple chunks and juice. SO YUMMY!!!!!!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Its kinda bad for you but I love to mix mine with a little bit of dry good seasons italian dressing mix! Soooo good!
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Love it with garden fresh tomatoes - however, one warning about Cottage Cheese ... it is VERY high in sodium! So if you have to watch that - beware! I never realized it until I had to watch for it!