Suggestions for very basic, but healthy breakfasts?

Options
onesongaboutagirl
onesongaboutagirl Posts: 13 Member
I'm living with a host family, and I have almost no control over what we have in the pantry. I spoke with my host mum, and the next time she goes to the shops (I can't go, we don't have any in our village, and she only goes when I'm at school) she's going to buy low-fat milk and yoghurts. Until then, I'd appreciate some quick breakfast recipes based on only the most basic of foods.

We generally have:
- bread
- sugared, full fat yoghurt
- full fat milk
- lemons
- eggs
- butter
- other various basic items, currently have no other fruit than lemons.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg, Toast and a yogurt
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    if there's any meat, you could do a breakfast sandwich.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs with some sauteed veggies. I usually use whatever veggies I have leftover from the night before. Eggs are chocked full of protien and keep me full for a long time. Best of luck
  • leeannejo1
    leeannejo1 Posts: 1
    Options
    There are no meats or cheeses in that house?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is really great for you. Low fat, high protein. Also, stay away from yogurts that have a lot of chemicals and fake sugar. The more basic, the better.

My go-to breakfast on work days is oatmeal (instant oatmeal in the lower sugar varieties). On weekends I'll have organic whole grain waffles, English muffin and eggs, or fruit and cereal.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    fried egg (using pam or whatever you have, I guess. lol) on top of a piece of whole wheat toast
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great because they are full of protien and will keep you full for a long time...even if you could just make a bunch of hardboiled eggs at the beginning of the week to eat for breakfast with a glass of milk, or scrambled eggs with a piece of toast. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You need actual fruit. The lemons are great sliced and served in your ice water. I don't consider them a fruit per se because you're not going to eat the whole lemon. You need to get the benefits of fruit and lemons are more for a flavor-add, not helping your diet.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Eggs and bacon, I eat them almost everyday. Look at my pic if you think is not healthy <<<----
    Also yogurt is crap. Not really cause of the fat but because of the sugar in it. Probably all of the carbs in yogurt are sugar.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I make an omelet or scrambled eggs with an egg substitute and a light white or whole grain toast with jelly or peanut butter. Very low cal and low fat.
  • czybura
    czybura Posts: 9
    Options
    see if she will get you oatmeal. Otherwise hardboiled eggs, fruit and toast are good options. fruit and yogurt. you can always do a lunch option for breakfast like a turkey sandwich for breakfast and something else for lunch. Peanut/almond butter and toast with fruit.
  • czybura
    czybura Posts: 9
    Options
    see if she will get you oatmeal. Otherwise hardboiled eggs, fruit and toast are good options. fruit and yogurt. you can always do a lunch option for breakfast like a turkey sandwich for breakfast and something else for lunch. Peanut/almond butter and toast with fruit.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i actually have oatmeal almost every morning, however many whole grains besides oats will work for a healthy filling breakfast if they have any in the house.
    oatmeal, fruit or honey if you have any, and a hard boiled egg would be filling and healthy *S*
  • k_ewilliams
    k_ewilliams Posts: 43
    Options
    I usually have 1 cup of cereal (multigrain cheerios or All Bran flakes) w. 1 cup low fat milk or .5 cups of fiber 1 original
    with .5 cup low fat milk
    and with it, I have either a cup of 1/2 of banana in it, or 1/2 of an orange.
    YUM!
    I look forward to it
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Eggs and bacon, I eat them almost everyday. Look at my pic if you think is not healthy <<<----
    Also yogurt is crap. Not really cause of the fat but because of the sugar in it. Probably all of the carbs in yogurt are sugar.

Yogurt is not crap. 26% of my daily protein is from Greek yogurt.

Plus, it has beneficial bacteria and you can buy brands that are sweetened with natural sugars only.

I am healthier when I eat yogurt. I travel a lot and it helps my immune system.

I can see you're healthy too. Just don't diss the yogurt.

Plus, a low carb diet messes up your kidneys long term. No thanks.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Well I assume when someone says yogurt they mean (yoplait or something like fruit and yogurt). If he/she said greek yogurt, then it's different. I have greek yogurt around 3 times a week. It is really good but regular yogurt is bad.
  • onesongaboutagirl
    onesongaboutagirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for so many suggestions!

In response to a few replies - we have cheese, but its packet cheese, and always makes me feel ill. As for meat, I'm a vegetarian :)

Fruit - normally we have more than lemons, oranges, apples and bananas come and go, but they get eaten quickly (my normal breakfast, and the rest of the family eats them through the rest of the day) so they don't last long. Just wanted to know what I can do when they're not there!

Yoghurt - Greek yoghurt, yes. I tend not to eat the stuff we have now as it's specified as being sugared, which doesn't appeal much to me as I actually prefer normal Greek yoghurt, and I'm trying to lose weight and all.

Oatmeal - yes, that's a very good idea - my dream is to have oatmeal, fruit and Greek yoghurt! I'll ask my host Mum about it.

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone - wasn't expecting so much help! :) x
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1 cup of cereal (multigrain cheerios or All Bran flakes) w. 1 cup low fat milk or .5 cups of fiber 1 original
    with .5 cup low fat milk
    and with it, I have either a cup of 1/2 of banana in it, or 1/2 of an orange.
    YUM!
    I look forward to it

I'm w/ her... Here's a killer recipe I have almost every morning:
    - get out bowl
    -add cereal
    -add milk
    -add spoon

Seriously though, there are TONS of great, healthy cereals out there. Ask your host to buy a brand of your choice and you'll be set. I just don't have time to prepare a gourmet breakfast before work.