2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    joj123 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been trying to cut out sugar (mainly added) now for about a month and have lost 1/2 stone. Still eating everything else, even fatty takeaways, so not feeling too hard done by. I am not having cakes, biscuits, cereals, am making own pasta sauces etc but do really miss a pudding after dinner :( is anyone else dieting by cutting out sugar?

I am making an effort to cut back on sugar, especially added sugar. But I don't think I would be happy cutting it out totally. I still sometimes have something sweet after dinner, but I try to keep it small. One of those tiny single serving ice creams, a fun size candy bar, a few sweetened nuts, things of that sort.

It's a very rare occasion that I have sweet treats any other time of day, except after dinner.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been trying to cut out sugar (mainly added) now for about a month and have lost 1/2 stone. Still eating everything else, even fatty takeaways, so not feeling too hard done by. I am not having cakes, biscuits, cereals, am making own pasta sauces etc but do really miss a pudding after dinner :( is anyone else dieting by cutting out sugar?

A couple of thoughts:

1) Cutting out added sugars can be a great way to cut calories without cutting nutrition. You're eating at a deficit so you need to cut something.

2) If pudding after dinner is that important maybe trade something with a similar macro nutrient profile from somewhere in your day-- skip bread with lunch or dinner, for instance.

3) You did not lose weight because (added) sugar is the devil.

4) The herd will be along to continue to tell you that you don't need to cut anything, just cut everything a little bit despite the fact that this is clearly working for you. Groupthink around here really can really take moderation to excess. Your experiment is working just fine at the moment but maybe now, at a month in, would be a good time to tweak things a little. See (2). Find what works for you.

5) I've consumed very, very little added sugar over the last 4 years or so and don't really miss it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you, but id find that pretty miserable. You are one month in, so do you think you will keep that up forever? What about fruit have you given that up as well? Its probable that a lot of food you are eating including fatty takeaways have sugar in them.

One reason are unable to stick to diets is because they are too restrictive. I can understand a strategy where you try to avoid high calorie foods or at least moderate the amounts, but id be lost without chocolate and sweets.
  • joj123
    joj123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the people who gave helpful replies.
    I did think that this forum was for support and advice - to be told I am silly is really not helpful and some of the comments to people who were also doing this are very unsupportive.
    There is actually scientific evidence that sugar isnt good for you - and the lowfat theory is now being disproved. Maybe people should reasearch before commenting in a negative way.
    I am happy doing what I am doing (it really isnt grim) i would find restricting the quantities I eat much worse - i cant stand being hungry.
    I have small amounts of sugar - mainly from natural occuring sugar - such as fruit etc. I eat main meals such as meat, potatoes, veg, pasta etc - just make own sauce rather than use sugar laden shop made ones, cut out biscuits and sweets and have porridge or toast rather than breakfast cereal.
    I dont really know why I am justifying what I am doing - i just wanted to find people who are also doing the same kind of diet for some support. Sorry if i offended the "scientists" on here.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    mean people thread in 3. 2. 1...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    This diet has one of the highest failure rates amongst the general population who try to lose weight using it. Extreme restriction is a 180 degree turn and trying to adapt to that for life will usually end in failure.
    It's great to see the large weight loss for the first couple of weeks due to water and glycogen decreasing, but as soon as any small binge in carbs happen, significant weight is gained. And that deters many because then they realize they can't live that way the rest of their life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    try sugar free jelly if you need something :) its low in calories <3
  • roughneckin28
    roughneckin28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I support you no added sugar diet. I was told I am type two diabetic and I was 55 pounds overweight. For the first six months I changed nothing about my diet other than cut out excess sugars and I dropped twenty pounds. So to everyone that's going to scream calorie deficit, yes I at a lot of sweets before Hints lots of calories. For the past month I have been counting calories pretty good and I still try to stay away from added sugars (sometimes I cheat :P) but hey I'm human. Meanwhile by knocking out most carbs and sugars I am rapidly losing weight and I find it hard to eat enough calories simply because nutritious food is very filling. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and lifestyle change. Oh BTW I have dropped my fasting blood sugar from 150 to 105 in less than a year. So yes for me added sugars are bad. Everyone is different find what works for you and stick with it.
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so no idea what you've been eating in the last month - half a stone = 7lb for those who aren't aware (although most are I know).

So you're cutting out the sugar but still eating fatty takeaways? Of course, you do know exactly what is in those takeaways, how much sugar etc? Probably means that you're eating a calorie deficit just like everyone else who is losing weight, but you're high on fat and low on sugar, and just because you're cutting out added sugar you're still getting sugar in other things naturally, if you don't make ALL your own food then you will be getting sugar. I eat too much fruit and go over my sugar for the day.

Wouldn't you be better eating a balanced diet based on CICO? Losing weight shouldn't mean giving up anything, but just learning how to incorporate it into your normal life.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi

That sounds terrible.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the people who gave helpful replies.
    I did think that this forum was for support and advice - to be told I am silly is really not helpful and some of the comments to people who were also doing this are very unsupportive.
    There is actually scientific evidence that sugar isnt good for you - and the lowfat theory is now being disproved. Maybe people should reasearch before commenting in a negative way.
    I am happy doing what I am doing (it really isnt grim) i would find restricting the quantities I eat much worse - i cant stand being hungry.
    I have small amounts of sugar - mainly from natural occuring sugar - such as fruit etc. I eat main meals such as meat, potatoes, veg, pasta etc - just make own sauce rather than use sugar laden shop made ones, cut out biscuits and sweets and have porridge or toast rather than breakfast cereal.
    I dont really know why I am justifying what I am doing - i just wanted to find people who are also doing the same kind of diet for some support. Sorry if i offended the "scientists" on here.

1. It's an interesting assumption that people have not done their research-- a lot of the people telling you it's unnecessary are the same people who post most of the studies around here. Also most people here would agree that fat isn't bad. That doesn't mean that sugar in any amount must be.
    2. It sounded to me like you are really missing your dessert and were asking if other people found it necessary to cut sugar. I was just telling you that I don't find it necessary at all, so that you wouldn't feel like you can't have your pudding. It did not sound like you're happy doing what you're doing, but since you are, great! Carry on.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    VixxyLiss wrote: »
    Can't see your diary, so no idea what you've been eating in the last month - half a stone = 7lb for those who aren't aware (although most are I know).

So you're cutting out the sugar but still eating fatty takeaways? Of course, you do know exactly what is in those takeaways, how much sugar etc? Probably means that you're eating a calorie deficit just like everyone else who is losing weight, but you're high on fat and low on sugar, and just because you're cutting out added sugar you're still getting sugar in other things naturally, if you don't make ALL your own food then you will be getting sugar. I eat too much fruit and go over my sugar for the day.

Wouldn't you be better eating a balanced diet based on CICO? Losing weight shouldn't mean giving up anything, but just learning how to incorporate it into your normal life.

That's an excellent point - op appears to be in the UK and if any of those takeouts are from the Chinese chippy they will be loaded with sugar.