Why are you here?

Options
Lindsay_the_great
Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
short and sweet: what brings you to MFP? Let's find friends with similar goals and motivations.

Me, I've lost over 75 pounds using various tools and programs over the course of about 10 years. (Yeah. Long journey with lots of ups and downs.) and I'm here to get off those last 10 and get FIT. I want to enter my 40s with more energy than I had in my 20s. B)

Replies

• suehaynee
    suehaynee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've always had a weight problem. In 2011 I even had a gastric bypass. I never got down to my ideal weight. MFP has helped me get motivated. I just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on the 2nd and now I need to lose 107 pounds to get to goal. So here we go again!
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    Aww congratulations on your new little one!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I've been using it off and on for a few years now. I had the vertical gastric sleeve done at the first of the year. I really have to keep ontop on my protein intake so I've been using it since. I only recently discovered that there was a forum and my life has been forever changed. I've been sucked in for good!! Lol
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm here (still here) because I'm fat and this works! Day 600m over 160 lbs lost. Yay!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I lost weight about a year ago using mfp. Just using it for the forums mostly now. I do not log as often as I use to as I am pretty confident in being able to maintain and have developed some great habits. Occasionally I get super motivated and enjoy reading success stories, tips etc. Great community.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    Wenchiness wrote: »
    I'm here (still here) because I'm fat and this works! Day 600m over 160 lbs lost. Yay!
    Wow that's amazing! You must be so proud!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 45 pounds in the last six months. I have been on MyFitnessPal for about four months now.

I have a few motives. The most powerful one right now is watching my parents age. They have hit their late fifties and early sixties and they are having many issues that they could have avoided by having a better lifestyle. I really want a higher quality of life into older age. (This makes me sound old. I am only 34 but now is the time to start.)

I also love hiking and plan on doing several mountain peaks when I visit family during the summer. (I live in Louisiana there are NO peaks here at all.) This motive, this desire to climb mountains again is so powerful that I have dreams several times a week about being on a hike, staring off of summits.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I fell and tore my meniscus and wanted to see if exercise (with a physical therapist) and weight loss would help instead of surgery. It has. But, since exercising, I've had problems with my ankle and hip, since they were so weak. So I keep taking off weight and I keep going to physical therapy to strengthen my muscles and reduce the load on my joints. I don't want to get diabetes or have a heart attack or a stroke.

I have 60 lbs off so far and I feel quite a bit stronger.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hey,
    I was well on my way to 15st and decided enough was enough. I got chatting to my friend who was a royal marine about exercise and he persuaded me to start doing some training.

I started insanity March 2014 and loved it. I went through the insanity program again but after a very nasty sickness bug and having 2 weeks off I never got back into it.

January 2015 I decided that 2015 would be my year so I started running and Focus T25. This year to date I have lost almost 16lb....not as much as some of you guys I know :-) but I now have a healthy BMI and I'm fitter than I've ever been! Running and working out has become addictive :-)

Shaun.

• Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am using MFP mostly for the forums. I lost about 7kg in the last 8 months but I still have to lose about 3 kg. Now you can never talk about losing 3 kg in person with other people because for most people it sounds like bragging and and other bunch of people never had a weight problem. Having MFP friends and seeing them share their trainings, exercises motivates me.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    Hey,
    I was well on my way to 15st and decided enough was enough. I got chatting to my friend who was a royal marine about exercise and he persuaded me to start doing some training.

I started insanity March 2014 and loved it. I went through the insanity program again but after a very nasty sickness bug and having 2 weeks off I never got back into it.

January 2015 I decided that 2015 would be my year so I started running and Focus T25. This year to date I have lost almost 16lb....not as much as some of you guys I know :-) but I now have a healthy BMI and I'm fitter than I've ever been! Running and working out has become addictive :-)

Shaun.

That's fantastic progress. Well done!
  • jwillia9
    Options
    I suffered a TBI and was in a coma from a car accident in late '09, so as you can imagine it took awhile to bounce back. And the journey is ongoing. I was a competitive swimmer for many years growing up, but now am just focused on HIIT training, p90x3, and powerlifting when I'm able. Over the years I've become so acutely aware of how important it is to be making better choices diet wise, so I mainly use MFP for motivational support! I'll likely post an introductory blurb sometime soon. It's so great to be a part of such a quirky albeit WONDERFUL community. FullSizeRender60_zpsc1eb7c42.jpg
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am here because I can find information and support...everyone seems sincere. I have been overweight since age 6; I am now 57. I was at 198 steady until I injured my knee, had surgery, and became very depressed. I began my journey about 2 years ago with high wt of 458. Over the previous year before MPG ,I lost 60 lbs. Lost a total of 93 lbs then went completely haywire and gained 30 back. I have gained a total of 45 lbs now. I have several medical problems, the most distressing to me is CKD ( chronic kidney disease) So after getting p______ off, feeling sorry for myself, having a cry; I have now had a good talk with self.. am now 're-committing to fitness with weight lost. My goal is to loose 250 lbs so I am here for the long haul. I have no choice: remain a prisoner in my own body and die way sooner than I want or STEP UP AND TAKE CONTROL OF MY LIFE! I tell everyone I have a 120 lb dancer hidden underneath all my girth! I love to dance and am working toward being able to do that again. In reality, I would very happy to find my dancer at 150 lbs. Sorry so much info, but when I got started, seems I couldn't stop ..guess I needed to vent, too. Thanks
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Origonally I was here to get fit, loose some extra lb's and find the 'me' that I wanted to be.. Now, I'm here to stay fit (tone up more, that's on-going.. I enjoy it!!) and help others achieve their goals!!
    That and I LOVE the community here, it rocks!!

• Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    jwillia9 wrote: »
    I suffered a TBI and was in a coma from a car accident in late '09, so as you can imagine it took awhile to bounce back. And the journey is ongoing. I was a competitive swimmer for many years growing up, but now am just focused on HIIT training, p90x3, and powerlifting when I'm able. Over the years I've become so acutely aware of how important it is to be making better choices diet wise, so I mainly use MFP for motivational support! I'll likely post an introductory blurb sometime soon. It's so great to be a part of such a quirky albeit WONDERFUL community. FullSizeRender60_zpsc1eb7c42.jpg

You are gorgeous before AND after! Way to go pushing through after such a traumatic incident. You're an inspiration.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jwillia9 wrote: »

You are gorgeous before AND after! Way to go pushing through after such a traumatic incident. You're an inspiration.

+1 to this!

Immensley inspiring!
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be spending a summer on a beach that has a disproportionate amount of skinny people. That makes me feel fat.
  • KrissyIrene83
    KrissyIrene83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am here because I had 2 kids in four years. I have always been in shape my whole life, but after the two pregnancies so close together, I feel like a fat hog!! I want to lose weight for a lot of reasons, but my real reason is for myself. I'm doing it for my self-confidence, and to feel better about myself in what I wear and for things to actually fit me.

I would love to find cute, tighter fitting sun dresses this summer and not feel self conscious about love handles or fat rolls!!

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I gained a little weight training for my first half marathon, which was a good thing...and then even more training for my first marathon, which was not. I wasn't having any luck "just eating less" on my own, so I figured why not try this tracking business. I then discovered MFP is a place where I can talk about working out and races and no one jumps in with a thousand eyerolls and "#humblebrag much"es.
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had 3 kids with no weight loss in between - just packed on the pounds. I was pre-diabetic (diabetic during pregnancy) always tired and hungry. I took 10 years to put weight on & was 210 lbs. A year ago a fat photo at my best friends wedding with my skinny Mom made me feel like Godzilla... Made me cry & then I got mad at myself. I've been on MFP for a year now. I've lost almost 40 lbs and I am no longer considered pre-diabetic by my doctor. - I have 40 more to go and I'm always looking for more friends. - I avoided diabetes! That's HUGE! I'm also teaching my kids to eat better. That's going to be great for them in the long run too! It's a lifestyle change for sure.