What Keeps You Motivated?

Options
Someone asked me this the other day.

After wanting to be around for my family, the main 2 things are the way I feel now and how I never want to go back to how I felt when I was heavy. When I was at my heaviest of 260, I was tired all of the time and had a hard time catching my breath. I could not walk long distances, let alone run. Now at my goal of 170, I feel great, I have a lot of energy, I have more confidence, and I am running (though I still hate to run- LOL)

I also said that I now enjoy going to the gym. When I first started I was going 2 times a week and would just do my hour with the trainer then leave. Now I am at the gym 5 to 6 times a week, and have made many friends there. By going at the same times everyday I have gotten to know the regulars and its become a social hour- though I do get my workouts in, they just take a little longer now. :laugh: I also started to take the classes at the gym, of which I used to avoid, and enjoy seeing the same people that come to the classes every week.

Now, are there days that I don't feel like going? Sure, it does happen. When it does, I may or may not go work out. If I don't, I don't feel bad about it, I just get back into my routine the next day. I just don't make a habit of missing too many days, unless I'm on vacation. :bigsmile:

As for my eating habits, my body keeps me from eating the wrong things. I have been eating healthy for so long now, that when I do indulge and have fries, or onion rings, or nachos (which I did the other day) my body rebels and tells me not to do that again- LOL. I literally get sick if I eat too much of the wrong things which would be anything fried. Can I have a few fries, sure, just not a whole order any more.

So, what helps to keep you motivated?

Replies

• SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Someone asked me this the other day.

After wanting to be around for my family, the main 2 things are the way I feel now and how I never want to go back to how I felt when I was heavy. When I was at my heaviest of 260, I was tired all of the time and had a hard time catching my breath. I could not walk long distances, let alone run. Now at my goal of 170, I feel great, I have a lot of energy, I have more confidence, and I am running (though I still hate to run- LOL)

I also said that I now enjoy going to the gym. When I first started I was going 2 times a week and would just do my hour with the trainer then leave. Now I am at the gym 5 to 6 times a week, and have made many friends there. By going at the same times everyday I have gotten to know the regulars and its become a social hour- though I do get my workouts in, they just take a little longer now. :laugh: I also started to take the classes at the gym, of which I used to avoid, and enjoy seeing the same people that come to the classes every week.

Now, are there days that I don't feel like going? Sure, it does happen. When it does, I may or may not go work out. If I don't, I don't feel bad about it, I just get back into my routine the next day. I just don't make a habit of missing too many days, unless I'm on vacation. :bigsmile:

As for my eating habits, my body keeps me from eating the wrong things. I have been eating healthy for so long now, that when I do indulge and have fries, or onion rings, or nachos (which I did the other day) my body rebels and tells me not to do that again- LOL. I literally get sick if I eat too much of the wrong things which would be anything fried. Can I have a few fries, sure, just not a whole order any more.

So, what helps to keep you motivated?
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    WOW SGFlyinHi you look so well AND trim :bigsmile: very well done.

I keep motivated to lose and one day maintain that loss by seeing the weight loss when I weigh every Monday and Feeling my cloths actually fitting me (and some hanging lose now) :drinker:

I only need to lose +- 19lbs in all but as I have said before "one persons ounce of Lard maybe another 's lb of Fat".

Continue the GOOD work, it is such a good feeling when you see the results of all your hard work and effort and you are sooooo right my body also tells me "NO" more junk food thanks (besides my ice cream treats of course within my allocated calories):blushing: and if I want more calories my body now knows it only has to do more excercise and I can have some treats, easy peasy, lemon squeezy :laugh:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    First...wow, you look fabulous! Well done!

Second, there are lots of things that keep me motivated. The women in my family have a tendency to die young (my grandma died at 49 of a heart attack, my mom at 41 of cancer). I want to be as healthy as I can, and be around as long as I can. They are gonna have to drag me out of here kicking and screaming!

I also want to prove to all those who told me that I couldn't do it...that they are 100% wrong. I have a rebellious/stubborn streak a mile wide and I love to take their negativity and just squish it like an annoying little cockroach.:laugh:

I love to work out because I love the way it makes me feel. When I don't exercise, I feel sluggish, tired and generally crappy. To me, a good workout is like drinking a dozen cups of coffee.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I can't explain how much 11 pounds has made a difference in how I feel! I usually struggle with depression really bad this time of year and it hasn't hit at all since I'm so focused and feeling so well!

Also being able to find clothes and LOVE how they fit!
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    the first thing would be my clothes!
    i finally got ride of my bigger sizes (16/18/20/22)
    so now i only have 12s 13s and a few 14s
    wihich i know if i gain ANY weight my clothes will fit differntly and i would have to buy new ones!

then it would be
    my two friends losing weight and us all being the same size
    we keep each other on track!

the constant reminders keeps me going also
    everywhere i go or everyonei talk to
    brings up my weight loss
    i cant go back with everyone all the time
    saying how well ive done or how they are trying it now because of me

and i like the way i look and feel.
    i feel lighter and free haha corney but its true
    i have more confidence i dnt think people look at me and first thing they think is WOW shes fat...ummmmm

ive come so far i cant take any steps backwards
    these things keep me focused and motivated!