Devils food and pumpkin cake

Options
ruth14213
ruth14213 Posts: 21 Member
i saw a recipe on her someone used these two ins gradients. However I've had no luck finding it again. Sounded good and thought I'd give it a try. Does anyone have the recipe?
Thank you

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking of something like this?

-One box devil's food (or any) cake mix
    -One 14oz can of pumpkin puree
    -1-2 Tbsp water

Mix.

Bake as directed on box.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This also works great with carrot, spice, and red velvet cake mixes. Way to up the veggies!
  • ruth14213
    Options
    Thanks
  • easilychanged
    easilychanged Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I make these as dessert muffins. I use a sugar free Pillsbury devils food cake mix and 1 small can of pumpkin, NO water. It make 12 muffins. Unfortunately, they go stale before I can finish them.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me. I had a box of Holiday Velvets (red velvet/devil's food and green velvet/vanilla) so I tested it with and without 2 T. of water. There was no difference in texture that I could taste. I like them, but I think a carrot or spice mix would have been better.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've done it with carrot cake mix and it was delicious.
  • ruth14213
    Options
    Do you add eggs and oil or just pumpkin?
  • easilychanged
    easilychanged Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No oil. No eggs. Just pumpkin and mix. Use temp on box.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ruth14213 wrote: »
    Do you add eggs and oil or just pumpkin?

What easilychanged said. The listed calories for the oil/egg prepared mix was 260. This way came to about 175 per serving. When you use the recipe builder, make sure you pick an entry that is only dry mix (or create your own).
  • ruth14213
    Options
    Gonna give it a try today. I'll freeze muffins and hope it works! Thanks for the help everyone.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I make these as dessert muffins. I use a sugar free Pillsbury devils food cake mix and 1 small can of pumpkin, NO water. It make 12 muffins. Unfortunately, they go stale before I can finish them.

Don't let them go stale. Most baked goods freeze well. Just make sure you cool them completely, and user freezer-grade bags, or wrap well in heavy aluminum foil if using non-freezer bags. Unwrap completely to thaw however many muffins you want. It doesn't take long for baked goods to thaw at room temperature, especially small pieces like muffins, because of their low moisture content. If thawing at room temperature, using a cooling rack is good, because it keeps them from sitting in any water that melts out of them. You could also microwave them or reheat them in an oven or toaster over, but you'll have to experiment to see what temperature/time works best. I prefer to thaw first, then zap for about 10 seconds in my microwave for a muffin or other single-serving size.

• ruth14213
    Options
    Good tip Lynn thanks.