cravings!

Options

Replies

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I agree it's addictive! Just like I think soda is to!

call me when you dig a half drank can of soda out of the trash and drink it….< then you might be addicted to soda…

OR

when you blow your life savings on soda...

Well, since soda/sugar is neither expensive nor illegal that isn't really a fair comparison. If sugary products were suddenly to be banned, I would not be surprised if some people did react in exactly that way.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »

call me when you dig a half drank can of soda out of the trash and drink it….< then you might be addicted to soda…

OR

Well, since soda/sugar is neither expensive nor illegal that isn't really a fair comparison. If sugary products were suddenly to be banned, I would not be surprised if some people did react in exactly that way.

Firstly, I doubt people would resort to illegal means to obtain sugar, since there's no chemical dependence on it, thus no need for a "fix". Secondly, how exactly would any governmental agency go about banning fruit? Fruit contains sugar that is processed in the same exact way the sugar in a piece of cake is processed by your body.

• sparrow70
    sparrow70 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been at this 10 days, I thought I would have bad sugar cravings, but it's been for really odd things, like mustard lol. I wanted mustard so bad, but had nothing to eat it on, and had most of my calories used up, so I sat down with baby carrots and about 1/4 c of mustard lol. I've also thought of apple cider vinegar a few times lol. Weird.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    sparrow70 wrote: »
    I have been at this 10 days, I thought I would have bad sugar cravings, but it's been for really odd things, like mustard lol. I wanted mustard so bad, but had nothing to eat it on, and had most of my calories used up, so I sat down with baby carrots and about 1/4 c of mustard lol. I've also thought of apple cider vinegar a few times lol. Weird.

That is kinda weird but hey...Whatever floats your boat. Ew. haha
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I've been craving scallions lately, and having been chopping them up and sprinkling them on all sorts of things--cottage cheese, spaghetti squash, chili...

Cravings are weird.

• arditarose
    Options

I've been craving scallions lately, and having been chopping them up and sprinkling them on all sorts of things--cottage cheese, spaghetti squash, chili...

Cravings are weird.

Scallions! So good.

I'm craving an apple right now which is weird for me.
  • Codilee87
    Options

OR

Firstly, I doubt people would resort to illegal means to obtain sugar, since there's no chemical dependence on it, thus no need for a "fix". Secondly, how exactly would any governmental agency go about banning fruit? Fruit contains sugar that is processed in the same exact way the sugar in a piece of cake is processed by your body.

Exactly. The fact that its not possible to render proper study on the subject is the point of my post. I'm not saying that sugar is or isn't addictive, I'm just saying its basically impossible to test the theory.

I wouldn't be surprised if people went a little bonkers though
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

OR

Exactly. The fact that its not possible to render proper study on the subject is the point of my post. I'm not saying that sugar is or isn't addictive, I'm just saying its basically impossible to test the theory.

Well, no, actually, addiction can be scientifically ascertained through rigorous study and trial. Once something meets certain criteria, it's deemed addictive and added to the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders.

• Codilee87
    Options

OR

Well, no, actually, addiction can be scientifically ascertained through rigorous study and trial. Once something meets certain criteria, it's deemed addictive and added to the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders.

"w3.org/1999/xhtml"
    sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763407000589"

There is evidence that suggests sugar can be an addictive substance.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh boy.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I just had a 3 Musketeer bar. Gonna go to the bathroom and give myself a stern finger waving
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

OR

"w3.org/1999/xhtml"
    sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763407000589"

There is evidence that suggests sugar can be an addictive substance.

It's not been clinically proven to be so, and is not clinically considered to be so. There is no single food substance that has proven (note that word "proven") to be addictive.

So far, any study or paper you can find is just hypothetical and calls for further study.

If it's not in the DSM-V, it's not addictive.

• olygirl197630
    olygirl197630 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    I just had a 3 Musketeer bar. Gonna go to the bathroom and give myself a stern finger waving

Haha!
  • olygirl197630
    olygirl197630 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

OR

I think addiction comes in many forms, just because someone doesn't dig through trash, doesn't mean they don't have a problem giving it up.

OR

Addiction, it can be a substance, a thing etc....it takes many forms. You don't need to dig through garbage to have an addiction...I see your point though
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    In my extensive study over a long period of time with my own personal lab rat (me), my conclusion is that sugar is addictive to ME and that is the only study I will be paying any attention to at this stage in my life.

So I aim to get as much added sugar out of my life as possible. My husband and sons hardly eat sugar and are not the least bit interested. Not fair. :p
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options

OR

latest?cb=20130719161439
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think the key words are what LeenaGee used..."to me." my husband can gamble all day long, then just walk away without blowing our life savings on it. (What life savings?) some people can't do that. I straight-up hate gambling, so i don't do it.

My dad can't have a bottle of liquor in the house without immediately drinking the entire thing. My husband has a hard time stopping drinking once he's started. Me, i have a bottle of wine on my back porch that's been there for two months and doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon, plus all the liquor bottles i have stashed on top of cabinets that are now 4 or 5 years old.

I know someone who literally smokes one cigarette a day and is still legitimately addicted to them. I've never smoked, so i just don't understand that struggle with giving up a single cigarette.

The only thing that matters in the end is how YOU react to it.

Maybe eating more fruit would help, since at least you'll get the fiber with it, which will help prevent the same sugar rush you'd get with chocolate or something. I find that dark chocolate satisfies my cravings instead of adding to the craving. Or maybe you're someone who needs to remove it entirely for awhile before introducing it back in.

Good luck
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    By the way...just because sugar activates the same reward centers in the brain as cocaine does...doesn't mean it's the same as cocaine.... Sex activates those same reward centers...and various other things do in various other brains, lol.