Fat man running

Options
Hello,

I would like some advice please, i have searched through a lot of internet pages and get so many different responses... It would be great to get some genuine advice off real people.

So I started at 258 pounds and have lost 39 and am now 219 which i'm chuffed with.
Up until this point I have not done any exercise but this week I started to run.

It is the first time in about 4 years I have ran and I ran 10k today, with a time of one hour and twenty minutes.
What is a good aim for me to get to for a 10k? I suppose a 'average' pace for me to aim for?
Would appreciate any advice and welcome adds :)

Thanks,

Eddie

Replies

• iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think "average" pace is kind of bs, because everyone has different levels of fitness. I say forget the "average" and try to keep improving your own time.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    10k in 80 minutes straight from "doing no running for 4 years" is pretty awesome dude! Be proud B)
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, congrats, Eddie! That is an awesome loss! You and I both have lost about the same amount. I recently just hit my 40 pound mark!

I started my weight loss journey nine months ago, and I have lost most of my weight by running! Couch to 5k and Couch to 10k are great programs to help you train to get up to the 10k level. I know there are a few groups and dozens of post out on MFP that are geared towards running that have been extremely helpful.

Outdoor running has become a great hobby, stress relief and means for me to personally lose weight, so I still do it. You and I run at about the same pace. I run in between a 10-12 minute mile. I used to just focus on building up my endurance, to run farther and for a longer period of time without walking breaks. I wish I had a specific answer for you for what your pace should be. For me, I know that as spring hits, I will be focusing on improving my mile time and distance. I want to be able to go run my specific routes and shave off maybe a few minutes off my total time. There is a route I like to go, from my house clear down this stretch of highway outside of my small town. If I go to and from, it is a total of 6 miles and it takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes. I want to reduce my running time.

Good luck, Eddie!

-Sarah
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That time is a pretty reasonable one for starting out. Most of the people I know who are in better than average shape, but not necessarily trying to be world class runners, shoot for a ten minute mile at that distance. I am in pretty weak shape and a little heavier than you, and I do about a twelve minute mile at that distance. That's the best indicator I can give you, but I'm no pro, so take it for what it's worth.
  • HowardAB
    HowardAB Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fact's a fact. You ran a 10K. Who cares how fast you went? YOU RAN A 10K! That's what's important. You ran more than the people who sat on their couch all day!

I started running a few weeks ago and am well on my way to a 5K. It's the third time that I started this program, and am happy that I did so!

My philosophy on running is this: Last place is better than did not finish. Did not finish is better than did not start.

YOU ROCK! Keep it up!
    :D
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I believe as a former 260lbs'er there is no pace you should target. Every month try to beat your pace, also please do not ignore lifting heave weights. It is essential to keeping up muscle mass. Cheers ! always be motivated and don't compare yourself to others , just yourself :)
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    First off, I'd echo what everyone else has said: congrats on finishing your first 10K - that's a huge goal!

I know you're looking for some specific averages, and I found this article you might find helpful:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/536048-typical-10k-times-of-a-runner-or-jogger/

That being said, I totally agree - focus on improving YOUR time. And, it can be done!! I used to run about a 10-11 minute pace, but as I lost weight and stuck with it, and started adding some speed work and other training, I've gotten my times down. Today I ran a 5K in 25:37! Bottom line, if you are feeling like "I'm glad I did that, and now I'm ready to improve," you most certainly can and should go for it!

I am using Hal Higdon's plans right now and they are super helpful. They have them for a number of distances, including the 10K and for a number of levels. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

Congrats again on your amazing race!!! ;)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    eddied91 wrote: »
    Hello,

I would like some advice please, i have searched through a lot of internet pages and get so many different responses... It would be great to get some genuine advice off real people.

So I started at 258 pounds and have lost 39 and am now 219 which i'm chuffed with.
    Up until this point I have not done any exercise but this week I started to run.

It is the first time in about 4 years I have ran and I ran 10k today, with a time of one hour and twenty minutes.
    What is a good aim for me to get to for a 10k? I suppose a 'average' pace for me to aim for?
    Would appreciate any advice and welcome adds :)

Thanks,

Eddie

I wouldn't worry about a 10k time right now but i guess if you need a target I'd say what were you doing 4 years ago? Set that as a target. Right now I'd suggest staying consistent without over doing it and cross training by cycling and doing some weights.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just shoot for improvement each time, so next time see if you can do it in 1:18.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about other peoples times. The only comparison you need is yourself. Awesome running man. Just build up your endurance and run consistently and your times will naturally fall. Don't get overly obsessed with times you can run a 10k a lot more than most people
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    A "good" time for you to aim for is any time that is faster than your current time. Everyone is at a different place in their fitness level, so comparing yourself to anyone else is an exercise in futility. The best thing you can do is to keep trying to get faster than your previous time and not worry about what a "good" time is.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You describe yourself as "fat man running" - and you do not give a height - so I will assume that you are at least overweight. You just went from no running at all to finishing a 10K - and you are heavier than you would like to be. . . THAT IS AWESOME!!! I don't know why you are concerned about your time right now - are you just self conscious about when you finish? Basically, you were able to go out and finish a race that a large percentage of the population could not finish - and without training. Just keep at it and take time off as it comes. I know it is called a race, which means that time is important - but dude, this is not high school. You are really only out there representing yourself and ultimately racing yourself. So a good time for you now is anything 80 minutes or below.