I'm "impressive"?!

Options
lynn_glenmont
lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
The group exercise director at my gym was doing a PT session with a client near where I was doing my dead lifts, and I was actually discouraged because I had moved up 10 lbs and wasn't able to complete all the reps I had planned on any of my sets. Later, when she had finished with her client and I was doing lunges, she came by and said, "That was really impressive, the weight you were doing on those dead lifts." (!) That was such a nice boost, and it made me rethink how I was judging success. Success = sticking to my goals, showing up at the gym, doing the work. More plates on the bar is just the byproduct of success.

Replies

• inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I actually prefer deadlifts to squats. I once had a guy who was showing the gym to his girlfriend. They watched me deadlift and he said I can lift more than him. I was hoping for his sake that she was his sister :o
  • shrinkingmeagan
    shrinkingmeagan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When you increase the weight, you sometimes have to decrease reps at the start. Don't let injury halt progress. Great job.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    =D It's nice to be acknowledged for your awesomeness.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I actually prefer deadlifts to squats. I once had a guy who was showing the gym to his girlfriend. They watched me deadlift and he said I can lift more than him. I was hoping for his sake that she was his sister :o

Or perhaps he's a secure human being who doesn't need to peacock around the gym and/or decided to say something nice to a stranger?

Consider the flip side - some douchey meathead that walks by and laughs at you, then tells the other girl how much he can lift.

There's just no pleasing some people...
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    When you increase the weight, you sometimes have to decrease reps at the start. Don't let injury halt progress. Great job.
    Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

Or perhaps he's a secure human being who doesn't need to peacock around the gym and/or decided to say something nice to a stranger?

Consider the flip side - some douchey meathead that walks by and laughs at you, then tells the other girl how much he can lift.

There's just no pleasing some people...

I find the secure human beings far outnumber the douchey meatheads :) in my gym, at least insofar as people actually say anything to me. But maybe it's a gender/age thing -- maybe it's easier for a guy to say something encouraging or complimentary to an older woman (past 50), because there's no sense of competing with me, like there might be with another guy, and no need to impress me, like there might be with a young woman.

I've even had sensible, polite, two-way (non-lecture) conversations with young (to me, anyway!) guys in the weight section on things like the most effective way to get to be able to do "real" push-ups (rather than from-the-knee push-ups) and whether it's OK to suggest to people to remove the plates from a bar when they're done (not something either of us had done -- it just came up in conversation when I was trying to determine if somebody was between sets on the loaded squat rack, when nobody seemed to be in the vicinity, and when I located him I remarked that I was pretty sure somebody was using it, because people in our gym don't generally leave the bar loaded when they're done).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!