Completely sick of food.

Options
Neliel
Neliel Posts: 507 Member
I am absolutely sick of feeling guilty at every single thing I eat. If it's not veg, salad, fruit or plain fish or chicken I honestly feel like i've just spent my day eating a load of unhealthy crap. I just have no idea what to eat anymore because literally everything I look at I analyze and think either:
'that's full of carbs'
'that's got too much salt'
'that has too much sugar'
'that is too fatty'
Basically everything I LIKE I look at and think of how bad it is for me or how it's going to slow my weightloss down (coming from someone who has lost next to nothing for 5 months). I really want to eat healthy foods but the majority of the time I seriously don't enjoy eating them. I have to FORCE myself. Dinner is the absolute worst time for me. Everything I consider filling is 'bad'. Potato, rice, bread... all things I want but find myself feeling so GUILTY just for thinking about wanting them. :(

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Whole grain long grain brown rice is healthy. I mix it with no-salt added black beans and low sodium salsa. I love it and it is healthy!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    As long as you are following your calorie allotments, who cares? I dont watch my carbs or sugars. If I want to eat lemonheads (I had some today) Im going to! Only thing I worry about is sodium due to the water weight. I exercise a lot, I eat pretty damned healthy, SO, I could care less if 100 calories of my allotment is candy or something like that. You are in control of your own destiny. There is no food police force that will charge you with a crime for going over on sugar or fat.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    *bump* because i feel the same way
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've tried to be healthier, and in general, am doing much better on eating fruits and veggies, but I try not to get too frustrated- if I eat well all day, I feel like I can have what I want for dinner (within reason), and if it's something that's "not good for me," so be it- just keep in mind that it's the total calories that count, so let yourself have a little splurge once in a while. Good luck!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You mentioned Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes are very good for you and a dash of cinnamon makes them yummy , also I eat 1 (1 inch square of dark chocolate a day) its only 25 calories and helps my cravings for sweets and its great for your Heart :)
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Remember that you have a whole day to decide for your meals. So if one food that you want is high in sodium, pick a low sodium food for the next meal. And Carbs aren't bad! Go for whole grain or "brown" varieties.

http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/planner/launchPage.aspx

Check out that website (you'll have to make an id) and it'll give you the different food groups that you need to fill. This might help you make an "outline" of foods to eat from. Plus its really fun to enter the foods you eat because you get to see the different bars fill up :) Let me know how you like it!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well, to your benefit, being sick of feeling guilty should trigger just the opposite...guiltless eating. Obviously, within moderation, but you should never feel bad about eating any kind of food. The guilt truly does provide stress which does hinder weight loss, as you're saying it has already. Unless you can learn to love all foods for their benefits, even the "bad" ones, you're gonna go crazy. It's natural to want foods. Who doesn't? Have some potato, rice, or bread to indulge that part of you that does want it. My only suggestion is to not go overboard once you have that piece. You'll feel better knowing that you're not having to completely subtract it from your life.
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    I'm sorry! Feeling guilty over food sucks. :( I don't have any advice really, but *hugs*
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are going through this right now! I tried a million times over 8 years to "not eat" all the things that are "bad" when I was trying to lose weight but I failed every time. I finally figured out that I can enjoy most thing... in moderation. I can't cut out whole grain carbs or sugar for more then 2 weeks at a time. Everyone is losing weight a different way but my way of thinking and my experiences show me is that I WILL NOT live my life without carbs and chocolate so I need to find a balance. Good luck, cheer up & I hope you find the balance that works for you!
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh! And if you use that site the calories ARE NOT accurate, it just gives you an idea of the food groups :)
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Then don't...i mean seriously. If you are portion controlling your food, regular food in minimal amounts is fine...it is the fact that we tend to just keep stuffing our mouths with full flavor...full fat regular food that has gotten us where we are.
    I change recipes so it's healthier, i don't remove the food completely from my life. the you gotta be able to enjoy life, but at the same time you gotta realize the old ways are the best for you. Learning substitutions and what not for food you normally good lets you eat the food you want.

This is you controlling your food...not your food controlling you...so...take back the control. Other wise you aren't gonna last for much longer.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Just eat those things you like in moderation... Dont make it so hard on yourself... You can cheat from time to time. I still have a steak and potatos at least once a week. I eat pasta late at night, and I'm still removing weight. It's all in moderation..
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Next to nothing ?? over 30lbs is great :flowerforyou:
    try surfing some low calorie recipes
    on google
  • missdune
    missdune Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cassie. I've lost 17 pounds eating what I want and recording it in the myfitnesspal food journal. I get to my calorie limit and stop eating. That's my only rule. Some days it's a lot of salad, lean meat, whole grains. Other days it's pizza and beer, potato and pasta. O'well. Everyone has an opinion of what's "good" and what's "bad." The experts argue amongst themselves, today's food devil is tomorrow's food angel. I avoid processed foods as a rule, but once in awhile a Cheeto tastes darn good. I write in the food journal and I'm done. No guilt. So, for me, I eat what sings to me and call it good.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to remind yourself that carbs, fat, sodium and all that are *not* the enemies! It's when you go overboard that's the problem. A bowl of oatmeal is full of carbs, but it's pretty darn good for you! Now, eating only oatmeal would be bad, or eating 5 servings at once would be bad... but oatmeal by itself is perfectly healthy. There are healthy carbs, healthy fat, and even healthy amounts of sodium and sugars. Simple sugars (fruit, milk sugars) are great to eat right after hardcore cardio workouts to restore glycogen levels.

Don't make it more complicated than it is - try to eat a well balanced diet that has healthy carbs, healthy fats and enough protein. If you minimize the processed food you eat, and don't eat any one food type in excess, that should take care of the rest.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says if it hasnt got a mother, or come from the ground, then dont eat it. I eat much more basic now, and I think weve been so used to eating all the "non" food. It wasnt till I started thinking about it, that some foods are just "stuff", like marshmellows, not actually "real" food!!!!
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just think, if you ate only apples all day and go over your calories, you would still gain weight (and probably have a bad stomach!!). Everything in moderation.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i started a seeing a nutritionist and she evaluated my body through dialogue, blood, and urine tests to decide if what kind of diet best suits my body. it has been the best thing i could have done for myself. it's covered by my insurance and all i have to do is pay a copay. go see someone who will tell you what's best for your body!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to reprogram your food relationship. The goal is not just to loose weight, but to create a lifestyle that will help you maintain it, and you won't be able to do that if you see the nasties in every food.

Some foods have a lot of carbs. Great! Carbs are essential for proper brain function! Carbs are a good source of quick energy, athletes will eat higher carbs for a day or two before a big event to make sure they have that energy available to them. You need, in general, about half your calorie intake from carbs. And there are tons of healthy carbs out there: fruits, veggies, whole grains, brown rice, etc. And even some refined carbs are ok (we just can't manage to switch to whole wheat pasta!) in moderation. Just look for carbs that are loaded with nutrients.

Our body NEEDS sodium to survive. Without it, cells swell with water and burst. There is a point where it is too much, but a salty treat every now and then won't hurt you.

Fat is also an essential part of our diet. Some vital nutrients (vitamins A, D, and E most notably) are fat soluble, meaning they won't dissolve without fat and we can't metabolize them. Fat is also critical for growth of brain and nervous system (mostly this applies to kids who are still developing, but even adults are creating new pathways and need fat to do this). It is also a good insulator against injury and cold. We need some fat on our bodies, although I know we don't want a lot. Fats also come along with most foods that have protein, another essential nutrient for muscle growth, as well as iron and other minerals.

Retrain the way you think about food. Sugar, fat, sodium, carbs, etc are all okay (and even good) in small amounts. You can't deprive yourself of it all. For one thing, you put yourself at risk of loosing control and absolutely binging. But more importantly, you need to eat a healthful, well-rounded diet. Yes, switch to skim milk and lean meats (93% lean ground beef is really no worse for you than chicken!), have sweets only occasionally, and in general go for low sodium choices. But don't make yourself neurotic about it. That's no more healthy than eating all the garbage you want to avoid.
  • alwayzevolving
    alwayzevolving Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Anything that we do to include food, needs to be done in moderation. The guilt should come when you over indulge. Find out why it is you are having these feelings and then go from there. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Never view a lifestye change as a "diet." The word diet has such a negative connotation to it and you feel as if you are limited on what you eat ; you do all things in moderation. I can have a cup of ice cream and not feel guilty because I didn't have three or four cups! I can have a candy bar as long as I don't eat five or six candy bars. See what I am saying?! If you are tired of eating the same foods, expand your horizons and experiment with different recipes. A great website that I frequent is called eatingwell.com. There are simple recipes on there that are yummy and do not take a lot of time to prepare. I am a pescatarian which means I only consume fish for my means of protein in regard to fish, so I have to be very creative and this has made me more creative when I prepare my meals. Out the window with dieting and inside the door with moderation. Food should not bring about bad feelings sweets. Good luck.