Can someone assist me with TDEE?

Options
Hi folks,
I have been on MFP for a number of months and have successfully lost 35 pounds (fluctuating 35-38.)

I was working off of the calories that MFP advised me to, but after plenty of reading, I am thinking I would like to change to the TDEE method. My TDEE, minus 20% is 1583. I put in that I am sedentary as I have a desk job...I do work out 5 times a week (mainly cardio) for one hour at a time. (I have to go and calculate my macros yet...)

Is there anything else I need to know about this? I am hoping I understand it properly and thought I could rely on you fab folks to assist.

Thank you!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes exercise. If you work out 5 times a week, you are not sedentary.

What was your average calorie intake on MFP?
  • BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1330 on MFP. I have found since I went to that, my loss has slowed and not been consistent. I felt like I was getting really wrapped up in trying to calculate exercise calories and such. (I've slipped with some tracking and have recommitted to getting back to doing it proper.)

When working out I do wear a HRM with a chest strap and I was showing 600+ burn each time for an hour. I would only log 75% of those, trying to account for inaccuracy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    1330 on MFP. I have found since I went to that, my loss has slowed and not been consistent. I felt like I was getting really wrapped up in trying to calculate exercise calories and such. (I've slipped with some tracking and have recommitted to getting back to doing it proper.)

When working out I do wear a HRM with a chest strap and I was showing 600+ burn each time for an hour. I would only log 75% of those, trying to account for inaccuracy.

Were you eating those calories?
    How much has your weight loss slowed?
    Over what period of time?

Weight loss isn't consistent.
    If you prefer to have one consistent number to eat, TDEE is great. I would just choose the appropriate level.

• BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    I was eating back part of the calories (but again, I slacked on tracking.)
    Loss has slowed since January. I will go down 2 one week, up 1 the next and then down a half. Overall, it has been a bit of a wash.

At your suggestion I will go back and punch in the numbers for something not sedentary. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

And the tracking thing, I own that. It is mine to fix. ;)
  • kaghi
    kaghi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    kaghi wrote: »
    What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It is the amount at which you would neither gain or lose weight. It accounts for your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate - which is what your body needs to survive if you did nothing at all) plus daily activity like even just sitting, walking to the car, etc. and your exercise. There are a number of TDEE calculators available online, then you create a deficit from there depending on how much you have to lose. Most people eat around 15-20% less than TDEE. So if your TDEE is 2000, you eat 1600 to lose weight at a 20% deficit.

MFP is a NEAT calculator. It figures your BMR plus daily activity for your calorie goal then creates a deficit. It expects you to log your exercise and eat those calories back, which keeps you at the same deficit (if exercise calories are figured correctly).

Basically it is two different paths to the same number. If you figure correctly, they should average out. The biggest difference is with MFP, you eat more on some days (when you exercise) and less on the ones you don't. With TDEE, your number stays consistent, your exercise calories are just spread out over the week.

Does that make sense?