Anyone else with an autoimmune disease?

Options
I've got rheumatoid arthritis and Lupus which affects my health and activity levels. Weight loss and lifestyle changes are so hard yet so necessary! Anyone else trying to do this with autoimmune diseases? Add me as a friend I'm planning to be fairly active again and support is always great!

Replies

• behdar66
    Options
    Hi I know how you feel I suffer from endometriosis since my teens and have had fibromyalgia since my late 20s but didnt know till my mid 30s I am in my late 40s and share the same problem have gained due to low energy and painful cramps and ofcourse menapause issues...I need support to motivate myself trying to adjust the food plan and slowly incorporate exercise I just joined
  • burktabs
    burktabs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand how difficult it can be with an autoimmune disorder -- in general, but especially trying to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle. I have myasthenia gravis and had a baby about a year ago. It took awhile to lose the preggo weight, but I gained some of it back from meds and lethargy. I've had a great week eating healthy and working out and am hopeful for more days like this to come. @brlrcr22 I'm in :)
  • Emmaloubalajake
    Emmaloubalajake Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes I suffer from ulcerative colitis. I've had it under control for two years now with the help of 150mg of Imuran daily along with a couple of other drugs. Thankfully I'm off the dreaded steroids
  • deschepperc12
    deschepperc12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Autoimmune disease are horrible I have hypothyroidism which once that goes everything in your body malfunctions. I've had this since the 6th grade is when they diagnosed me. I have a long line of family history of auto immune diseases that effect my weight I also have psoriasis and they are predicting I will most likely get some form of celiac bc it runs in the family. So trying to keep the weight off is hard and now that I have had two kids I'm definitely trying to get this weight back off. :)
  • kratsmeow
    kratsmeow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos. I fight weight gain all the time. I use little tricks to speed up my metabolism. I drink water upon rising, before each meal and in between. I drink water before I exercise (walking) and every 15 minutes during. Right now I'm counting calories. 300 each meal and two 100 calorie snacks per day. I weigh in monthly. It does come off!
  • deva110913
    Options
    Lupus and RA as well! It would be great to have a buddy in the same boat!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), fibro, and arthritis from years of any eating disorder. With POTS, I have to modify a few exercises since I can't hold my arms above my head for long without it affecting my heart. And my balance is crap with it too. But I push on because I have to.
  • brlrcr22
    Options
    I'm glad there's others out there but at the same time I wish we were all healthy. We will push through this and be successful! My main issues are the fact that I take prednisone right now to get some of the inflammation and intestinal tract involvement under control and that my knee has been so swollen and painful for so long that my thigh muscles on my right leg have withered away to the point that I can actually wrap both hands around my leg and have my fingers meet... While my left leg is normal!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Psoriasis (scalp, elbows, and lately it started showing up on my legs)
    Seems the crazy weather makes the flare ups worse.
    I am married, 2 kids and full time job. Some days are good, some are bad.
    Nevertheless, I keep going.
    My heart goes out to all of you.

would love a friend who understands, feel free to add me.

• randagriffin
    randagriffin Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have hashimoto's as well. I'm newly diagnosed and am trying the gluten free route. Seems to be helping immensely! Would love some like-minded friends for support and to help support. Married with 2 kids, full time job and I'm trying to get back into my hobby of running. It's tough....but will be worth it some day
  • crystalberries426
    Options
    I had Grave's Disease, which is an auto immune disease that led to hypothyroidism. I was just diagnosed with Lupus as well. I am looking for any tips for non steroid ways to deal with the Extreme pain and fatigue. Help ladies! I've gained 50 pounds over the past few years and am working hard to lose it. I can't take meds that will just pack the pounds on even more!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have celiac - we caught mine early since I have relatives that were diagnosed earlier. I have not had to suffer from too many of the more horrible symptoms (at least not when I am super careful and consistent with the gluten).
  • happygrandma52
    happygrandma52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have sarcoidosis - which is SUPPOSED to go into remission at some point in time. The biggest hassle (besides the steroids) is carrying an oxygen bottle with me 24/7
  • rubywly
    rubywly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis and I'm trying to find my own diet for helping with flareups
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I also have sarcoidosis, lucky, no O2
  • MakingWavesAgain
    Options
    Hi;
    I have fibro and lupus, makes it very hard to stay active, exercise takes a toll on me.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have sarcoidosis. It seems to flare up every Dec/Jan and I go on high dose of Prednisone and it goes away in June. Ususally I been gaining about 20 to 25 pounds every round of steroids. This time I refused to take Prednisone so I googled alturnitives to Prednisone. I found the spice Tumeric/Curcumin. I tried it and it is working better than Prednisone and no side effects. Take one capsule every morning. For all you Steroid takers google tumeric health benefits you will be amazed.
  • corona_88
    corona_88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have stage one Neurosarcoidosis. Iwas wondering about taking Turmeric myself, but now I see that it's working for you(the capsule I mean) I wanted to thank you as a Sarkie myself for this information. Ithought taking Turmeric was about the spice, but I see that the capsule was around. saw it at CVS not too long ago, and thought about buying it. I have read about the health benefits, but never felt like buying it. thanks again, :)
  • kkcoradini
    kkcoradini Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hello! I am about to turn 40 in a couple months. I taught Pilates, Yoga and Spinning up until this past March. I have had migraines since around age 4 and was diagnosed with Narcolepsy in 2004. I was doing fine weight wise until a couple of my meds changed (had to) and the weight poured on. I had an SVT in early August and now have to be on something for tachycardia as well. I'm trying to accept this new lifestyle but it has been extremely challenging since I've worked out most of my life. I gained 16.5 in a little over a month. Now trying to lose. Oh and I'm vegetarian.