Psssst, Mormons out there; got any tips/tricks for making it through Fast Sunday?

Options
3kfe1fmhpgy5.jpg

I know my stomach starts digesting me from the inside out around the time sacrament meeting is ending, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help make it to dinner time without going insane, or gnawing off my own arm or something. A lot of the people I know don't have any problems what so ever about missing meals, but I can't be the only one who has such a hard time with it.

Replies

• FedGirlUSA
    FedGirlUSA Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes...sleep! Haha
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    FedGirlUSA wrote: »
    Yes...sleep! Haha

That's what I always did. I even slept through the meetings. Now I'm inactive, so I don't do Fast Sunday, anymore.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    jordipie55 wrote: »
    3kfe1fmhpgy5.jpg

I know my stomach starts digesting me from the inside out around the time sacrament meeting is ending, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help make it to dinner time without going insane, or gnawing off my own arm or something. A lot of the people I know don't have any problems what so ever about missing meals, but I can't be the only one who has such a hard time with it.

I don't know of any big tricks, but find something to take your mind off of it. Studying, etc. It has worked for me anyway.

• NurseWizzle
    NurseWizzle Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet helps me be able to skip meals with near ease
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Water. Ice cold water, alternate with herb tea. Don't exercise that morning. And eat a bowl of casein protein pudding Saturday night before bed.
  • cheyenne_liddi
    cheyenne_liddi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mormon but I chew lots of gum, drink lots of water and make sure to keep busy and distracted all day when I fast. It gets easy after awhile.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I fast twice a week, I'm not a Mormon though so I apologise if this offends you.
    Here's what I do.
    When I'm hungry, I'll drink water
    I wear a rubber band around my wrist and every time I start fantasising about glorious food is snap the band in the inside of my wrist
    Drink more water
    Keep yourself occupied and distracted.
    Drink water

I hope that helps :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I wear a rubber band around my wrist and every time I start fantasising about glorious food is snap the band in the inside of my wrist

This seems slightly disordered, at best.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mormon but I chew lots of gum, drink lots of water and make sure to keep busy and distracted all day when I fast. It gets easy after awhile.

When Mormons fast, they are supposed to go 24 hours without food and water. (Except for the small piece of bread and small cup of water they get with the Sacrament.)

I've rarely been able to do the full 24 hours. As a child, we would usually start fasting around 6 Pm on Saturday and go until church got out on Sunday. (Usually around noon, but it would be sometimes as late as 3 Pm.)

I usually tried to sleep through as much of that 24 hour period that I could, but the idea was to get as close to God as possible and try to spend the majority of your time in prayer and study of the scriptures.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    frabz-youre-saying-all-i-have-to-do-is-cry-during-sacrament-meeting-th-914234.jpg
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Maybe a little bit. But I was just offering what helps with me, to each their own
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Maybe a little bit. But I was just offering what helps with me, to each their own

This is a trick for quitting smoking too.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I fast twice a week, I'm not a Mormon though so I apologise if this offends you.
    Here's what I do.
    When I'm hungry, I'll drink water
    Drink more water
    Keep yourself occupied and distracted.
    Drink water

I hope that helps :)

That's a pretty sweet idea actually. I think I would flip it so many times my wrist would start to puff up though. ;)
  • aeking22
    aeking22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The biggest "trick" I've found for making it through fast Sunday is not giving into the temptation to eat a huge dinner Saturday night. It seems like a good idea at the time, but never really is. Plus, I have 1:30-4:30 church so I've got to do whatever I can!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Drink water? Is it only a day? If so, just power through it but make sure to take in fluids.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try to get as much protein and fibre in you last meal before the fast as possible. They take longer to digest and will help keep away the hunger pangs longer.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think your body is telling you it doesn't want to fast. I personally would listen to it over any religion.