How bad is thai food?

Options
My weaknesses are chicken pad thai and chicken drunken noodles lol. finally found a trainer who suggested i order double chicken double veggies so i get full faster on better stuff but have had trouble getting accurate nutrition information. I used to eat the full order but now i eat half one day half the next which is a mild improvement but i still figure ot tastes too good to not be bad for me lol. I'd say my husband and I order it aboit twice a month...

Replies

• fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've seen some restaurants serving gigantic servings of Pad Thai. My estimation is that a dish of restaurant Pad Thai is around 1,000 calories and that's just a guess. It all depends on the individual portion. Have you considered trying to make these dishes at home so you have control over the ingredients so you can get an accurate count of its contents?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Why not try the lemongrass coconut soup and seaweed salad. Im sure its less calories but just as fillin!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is no bad food. Everything in moderation.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thai food is not bad, it's good and delicious. High calorie? Probably. A dish of pad thai is probably around 1000 calories.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Isnt it funny that all the asians in their native countries are generally not obese, but eating their food makes us fat?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    There is no bad food. Everything in moderation.
    arditarose wrote: »
    Thai food is not bad, it's good and delicious. High calorie? Probably. A dish of pad thai is probably around 1000 calories.

Definitely concur with Lifting and Ardita. Moderation is definitely key. I am not big on Thai food, but I love Chinese, where I have my rice and sweet and sour chicken every single time. You're not keeping me away from it. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Isnt it funny that all the asians in their native countries are generally not obese, but eating their food makes us fat?

What?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Eating Asian food does not make us fat, eating an overabundance of food in general does that. Type of food does not matter.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat so much of it. Any food is fine in a smaller portion size.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love Thai food. It can be very calorie dense, like the pad thai, but when we have it I will eat a small serve of the pad thai and get some Tom Yum and Som Tam on the side, both of which are super delicious and low calorie!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I do agree that double chicken and veggies would be a better option however Pad Thai is generally one of the worse choices on a Thai menu in terms of calories and carbs but there are plenty of good ones. Lots of stirfrys with lean protein and veggies; add a reasonable portion of rice and you've got a great meal. I usually have garlic/chilli/basil stirfry chicken and veggies

I would either make the pad thai at home so you can control the amount of fat/carbs and add more protein and veggies, just have it every now and then as a treat when you've got some cals to spare or split it with a friend.

This recipe for Pad Thai is amazing http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/pad-thai
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Agree with above; choose a stir fry dish w/ side of rice instead of a noodle based dish to reduce calories.

Overall, I think Thai food is equally if not healthier than Chinese food.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok yes whatever Thai food isn't bad but most of the curries are ~1000 calories, and eating half of one of those dishes leaves you hungry, so.

Any of the grilled stuff will likely help you fit your macro/cal targets while keeping you full more effectively.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    be careful with Thai food, even the stir frys as they add alot of palm sugar to dishes. I would just have a lighter lunch, more exercise and splurge a bit for dinner, love my Thai!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Love Thai food. If you want a better choice, try a papaya salad with grilled shrimp. About 400 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like the dish with peanut sauce. I think it's called pra ram. So good! No idea how many calories.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the tips. If I had more time to cook at home I probably wouldn't be the size I am. Lol I know eating out is one of our biggest problems. I commute an hour and a half each way so that doesn't leave much time to cook during the day. I'm usually ready for dinner by the time I get off work and then I Drive an hour and a half so one of us picks something up. When I have time on Sundays I will cook a couple of meals for the week though. But it never would have crossed my mind to cook Thai food at home. It just seems like something you order out lol I feel like it won't taste the same but am willing to try it
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There is this really bad Thai restaurant in my town. It smells like wet carpet when you walk in and their buffet has a rancid oily taste.

That's the only bad Thai food that I know.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    thank you for all the tips. If I had more time to cook at home I probably wouldn't be the size I am. Lol I know eating out is one of our biggest problems. I commute an hour and a half each way so that doesn't leave much time to cook during the day. I'm usually ready for dinner by the time I get off work and then I Drive an hour and a half so one of us picks something up. When I have time on Sundays I will cook a couple of meals for the week though. But it never would have crossed my mind to cook Thai food at home. It just seems like something you order out lol I feel like it won't taste the same but am willing to try it

I think cooking new foods is a fun adventure, which is probably why I recommended trying it. But it's not for everyone! If you love your Pad Thai and drunken noodles and eat it once or twice a month, go for it. You're not going to be happy giving it up completely.