Addicted to PROCESSED FOODS!!

Options

Replies

• kjosey1
    kjosey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah the bad part is it's all or nothing for me. Once I open a bag of chips or box of cookies.....it's downhill from there. This is something tha's recently happened to me in the past couple months. I've never had this problem before.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had a huge problem with sweets in the evening. I'd make a pan of brownies after dinner almost every night and between me and the kids they'd be gone by morning. I just quit eating that stuff cold turkey...it was REALLY hard, but after about a week I didn't want them anymore. Currently I have 3 boxes of brownie mix in the pantry that have been sitting there for over a month. If I do get a craving for something sweet I have a sugar free pudding with some chocolate cool whip on top or a glass of chocolate milk.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I've been taking some highly potent probiotics since Easter weekend, and I have found that my cravings for sugar/fried food/junk, etc., have pretty much subsided completely. I haven't eaten fast food since then, either, and I haven't wanted it. I wonder if something like that could help you. Not keeping any bad stuff in the house helps, too.
  • numi79
    numi79 Posts: 13
    Options
    Night time eating is my nemesis, I am like you and can eat very well throughout the day but around 7:30 about the time we are putting my daughter to bed and wrapping up for the night I just start thinking about all the goodies in my pantry. (mostly processed foods of course.) And to be honest I do not know what to do about it other then beat it. I try to buy mostly healthy but I have a 3 year old and a 35 year old (junk food husband) and I’m not going to deny them whole grain gold fishes and the occasional cookie, it is not their fault that I have a hard time not shoveling them in my mouth. I just started this yesterday and even though I had to mentally talk myself out of devouring my pantry I did it and felt great after I beat it. I made a smoothie of chobani greek yogurt (strawberry), half a frozen banana and about ½ cup of strawberries and it was delicious and sweet and completely satisfying! I just love to eat at night and I have to break the habit because I know that is what is breaking my calorie bank.

Sorry I do not have many words of wisdom but you are definitely not alone!

Amanda
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    it takes time to weed those things out of your diet...and ill be the first to admit that i havent completely taken them out of mine. Moderation is the key!
    bingo

I refuse to cut ANYTHING out of my diet that i enjoy. I know it means I will fail. I bought easter candy that was on sale. I've learned if it's on my desk at work, I'll snack more, so it's in my drawer. . and unlike this time last year where I'd've gone thru most if not all of the 52 ozs of it by now(bought it 4/30), II may've eatened 1/10 of it. But it's there if I need the fix :)

I was trying to figure out how to get around the processed sandwich meat for my busy coming weekend, and came up with the idea of panbroiling a lb of chicken breasts that I can nibble on instead :)

But you dont' need to get rid of all foods, use it as rewards :)
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    So glad you posted this! That sounds exactly like me. I'm 45 now, but I was raised in a household where "dessert" was a nightly occurence. I had a treat every night, usually icecream. I also got a sweet treat after school, twinkies or devil dogs. It was also a rule in my house that we eat everything that was put on our plate. Guess what? I STILL feel it necessary to finish everything on my plate, even if I'm full.

Old habits are hard to break. The only thing I can do is just don't buy the crap, buy healthy snacks/treats and you won't be able to just grab that junk late at night. If you live with others, ask them to hide the junk food from you so you aren't tempted.

Best of luck to you!!
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    Love this post! I think most of us are all in the same boat. That being said, Cheezits are the devil! LOL JK

I have all that stuff in my house because my son and husband eat it but I've learned to "look the other way" and avoid those things. Willpower is key :)

Good luck everyone!
  • seabuckaroo
    seabuckaroo Posts: 85
    Options
    You are totally normal and i think we all are 'dying' for those types of food. Just don't have the m in the house, no one not kids or even husbands need them. I make my husband keep his crap at work or in the car :)
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am like that, what I found helps is if you don't eat anything after 6 or 7 at night.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A huge thing that has helped me is to stick to the OUTSIDE AISLES while grocery shopping. Yes, occasionally I dip in for some crackers or pasta or whathaveyou, but really try to shop along the perimeter of the store. This has definitely helped me limit my processed foods.
  • smvamp
    smvamp Posts: 32
    Options
    YES!!!! MEEEEEEEEEEEE!! I do well ALLLLL day....and then when the sun goes down and relaxation time nears, I want crackers...cheeze it...chips...granola bar...anything. I just thought it was the munchies, and thought I was by myself. So PLS...if there is an explanation for this, I would LOVE to know it!
  • torman11
    torman11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and then I get tempted give in, I find not having it in the house helps and not having those 100 calorie packs around helps because they leave you wanting more!
  • sharifikim
    sharifikim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi
    A popular topic! I make myself some chocolate yogurt most nights with 1/2 cup of greek non-fat and teasoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and a teaspoon of honey (yes, I know that is sugar) this helps me. I try to do crafts while I watch TV - that helps me keep from grazing. If I have a weekend where I indulge - like Mothers Day - I make my daughter take all the stuff home with her to her house - candy and there were some cupcakes. I would totally have eaten those. I just usually don't buy the stuff and it help a little. :-)

PS - my dietian is helping me eat mostly whole foods and it is almost hard to get all the servings I am supposed to have so that helps. When you switch to whole foods - it's a lot of fiber and you are full most of the time.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the processed foods. I don't understand why I love them so much! I have absolutely no problem eating the healthy stuff.. I enjoy legumes, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, yogurt, whole grains and fish... BUT I just can't resist disgusting unhealthy, chemical laden, vitamin stripped processed foods. Chips, cookies, fast food, soda, cold cereal.. it's just so yummy and I don't really even know why. Seriously, it's like a drug to me. I can't keep it in the house, I can't be around people who are eating this stuff... I have to adjust my path at the grocery store to avoid the little debbie aisle. I have adjusted my walk out doors so I don't have to pass by Burger King.

What I hate the most is that I think about these foods maybe 1,000 times a day and I can say "no" to them 999 times, but if I say "yes" just once then I have failed. I try to explain this to my husband but he seriously does not understand why I can't just ignore that snickers bar that he brought home and put in the refrigerator for "later".

UGH..
    Anyway, welcome to the board. I feel your pain.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    It is an addiction! I have battled with that addiction my entire life :( It's an addiction to bad carbs and sugar. The only thing that works for me is to eliminate them from my diet completely. Used too I could eat completely clean all day and then get home and go crazy, it never failed. We no longer buy the stuff to put in the house at all. I'm not saying never have it again, I'm saying face the addiction head on! If I can go without any grains/sugars for a couple of weeks the cravings go away. and then when I do indulge (i had some cake for mother's day) i can easily see the impact it has on my body, been fighting cravings since sunday, and i'm bloated up like a balloon :( But just like with any addiction you have to take control, or it will continue to control you.

***the above statements are meant to be interpreted as pure personal experience. not to be used as pure medical fact. These are my opinions and thoughts. If you do not agree, that is okay, just move along. I'm not asking for judgement or agreement. Just answering the OP with my own thoughts and experiences. Thanks.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    If once you pop, you can't stop....then just don't buy it at all.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

This. Simple, yet eloquent.

Or learn to love the healthier alternatives more than you do processed foods. I do. I binge on fruits and vegetables.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them in, then you can't eat them.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options

So true. I've also found that the cleaner my diet is, the less of that stuff I crave.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    im the person to say, that this is a lifelong change. i cant say i will never eat processed foods again. i just cant and i wont. i eat cheezits. i buy the reduced fat and stick to the serving size. i love chips, so i instead buy the low fat pretzels again serving size. just allow enough for it in ur daily alottment. i have however gotten away from frozen foods, and chocolate, and the other really bad processed foods, but if i want them, i eat them. i just allow myself enough cals sodium, etc in my day to eat that. best of luck.