Rashes from excess skin?

Options
LJSpady
LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
Ok, so I've been working out pretty hard for the last 2 months. Just last week I started getting what I think is a heat rash under my left arm flap (yes they're flaps) and just 2 or 3 days ago I started getting one under my left too. Now because I've been working out for 2 months now and they're just now popping up leads me to believe that the skin is rubbing together because it's looser now than it was 2 months ago (this is also partially wishful thinking). This excites me and devastates me at the same time. On one hand I'm seeing results and the 20lb loss isn't just a figment of my scale's imagination. On the other hand, this is truly just the beginning of my weight loss journey. I have another 200lbs to lose, and if loose skin is already causing me problems 20 lbs in, than I can't imaging how miserable I'll be 6 months from now, and a year from now, and 2 YEARS FROM NOW!
I have health insurance and I know that my policy will pay for me to have excess skin removal after extreme weight loss, but that's 18-24 months from now from now.
What do you guys think?
Are these rashes from excess skin from weight loss?
How do I keep working hard, but keep from getting rashes?

Replies

• helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I haven't had personal experience, but would it help to lubricate those areas before you work out with vaseline or something? That might stop rubbing and prevent further rashes. I did this with my inner thighs.
    Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with loose skin but at the same time it IS a mark of your success!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You could also try baby powder...that seems to help when my skin rubs when I work out hard.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I have nothing in the way of medical training, but it very well could be irritation. You could try to use different things and find something that works. Maybe get tighter clothing so the skin doesn't overlap itself. Vaseline could work. My initial thoughts was baby powder or corn starch - although I don't know what the sweating from working out would do to that.

Good job on your success so far and I hope you find a temporary solution. That's great that you can take care of the excess skin through insurance later on.
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try using powder, like Gold Bond or similar. I don't have it under my arms, but I do have excess skin on my stomach and I have started using powder on it...it seems to help a lot. The excess skin is kind of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" part of weight loss I guess. Good luck.
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wash the area well, with soap, and then dry well. It's important it's dried well. Using a hairdryer on cool setting works very well, and it makes sure you are dry. Add the powder and sleep. Do it last thing at night...
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My first thought is use powder. My second is make sure that you wash really well afterwards and then dry really well. Also, maybe go to the doctor if it keeps on after a couple weeks. Congrats on your success thus far!
  • rickiticki73
    Options
    Try putting powder on the skin before you start your workouts & throughout the day. Like a medicated powder to absorb the sweat. I use it everyday under my skin flaps. Even my husband uses it & he is fortunate enough that he only needs to lose 30 lbs. The powder will truelly work. I will check what kind I use after my husband wakes up (he works nights) & I will let you know. Congrats on losing 20 lbs so far & keep up the great work!!!!
  • rickiticki73
    Options
    Gold Bond is what I use!!!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Baby powder....and if you are wiping sweat, dab, dont wipe
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I first started swimming. In the exact same spot. treat it like it is a diaper rash. Put some desitin or Bodreaux's butt paste on it after you shower. It turned out that my arms were rubbing up against the straps of my swim suit.