Starting again...over n over again many times. :(

Options
I feel so lost...have tried losing weight n getting on a healthy lifestyle so many times before...it just never seems to be something I can stick to for long n that upsets me...my whole family could use the lifestyle change n it all starts with me bcuz I cook our meals but how do I get there when it's so damn hard n I've never done healthy eating...uggghhh :(

Replies

• GatesOfDelirium
    Options
    Hi Lesly, I can imagine it is so hard to be responsible for the health choices of others its enough to be responsible for ourselves. Hopefully others who juggle family and healthy lifestyle will come to your aid with advice but I have some supportive friend who encourage me so start there...x Good luck
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could start by changing the way you cook things. Try using leaner cuts of meat, less oil for cooking (or spray oil) etc. Don't be too drastic to start with, because it has to be sustainable. Increase the amount of protein and veg, and reduce the carbs. Try tomato based sauces instead of creamy ones.

Small changes can make a big difference and won't be as much of a shock. I'm still on the rollercoaster and struggle constantly to make the right choices, but I actually prefer healthier meals, I just struggle with snacks.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Planning is very key, especially when you are feeding your whole family. I would figure out a weeks worth of meals, then break them down ingredient by ingredient to figure out the calorie content and tweak the recipies as necessry. Then just create meals for your diary, I would use the meals every week to make it easier. You know, you can still what whatever you want as long as you are at the correct calorie deficit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Be smart this time and only start if its different and addressed the problems of your previous efforts. To control calories you have 3 basic tools at your disposal.

1. Eat less by portion control.
    2. Eat fewer calories by changing the type of foods you eat to ones that have fewer calories.
    3. Burn more calories by engaging in some exercise, start with walking and work up.

You lose weight because you are in a calorific deficit. That means your body will start to use some of the stored fat.

Because you have tried before, then I suggest you take time to learn about what to do, make a plan that incorporates your family and take time understanding how people lose weight. Your diet can simply include more fruit and veg, complex carbs and lean protein.

A healthy diet as well as ons of dieting articles is explained here.

For the moment get MFP friends as well as just log your food to understand what it is you are eating, get familiar with how many calories foods are and whether you are in excess or deficit. If you dont own any , then buy some kitchen scales as well.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx
  • annieo19732014
    annieo19732014 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The easiest and fastest way I found for me to cook healthy meals for the family, I invested in a "Slow Cooker" There are so many recipes on line, and majority of them are naturally healthy! x
  • GatesOfDelirium
    Options
    See! Ask and they will come.....I love this community..
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 3 grown sons, I've done alot of cooking for the family---everyday from scratch. You'll need a bit of organization at first. Some foods have a high calorie content, and therefore should be used sparingly--oils, butter, sugars, nuts, etc. These are good foods, just use them less to lose weight. I would agree with the above poster that you could work out weekly meals, and then repeat them. This would lighten the work load, although at first you'll have to sit down and figure it out. Otherwise, start cooking healthier and lighter for yourself at first, and then do so for the family. This is a learning experience and it's important to just start. Follow the boards, search recipes on here,and you'll find that people will be happy to share their favorites. Do not give up, and in a month you'll be happy you decided to join us. Best of luck. :)