How to handle 3pm hunger pangs?

Options
Hi

Not sure if anybody experiences this but I feel so hungry at 3pm. I ended up taking a cup of tea with lite popcorn. But I could eat so much more :(

Anu

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I plan a midafternoon snack into my calories forthe day - usually something with protein, but sometimes it's a junky snack.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    That is one of the hardest times for me too! I usually do 2 afternoon snacks so I do not let myself get super hungry. Today I am having a greek yogurt around 2, then I will have a 100 cal bag of popcorn around 3. Usually with that and water or tea, I can get through OK.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I totally go through this! I find a small snack (100 calories) and a cup of hot lemon water really works!
  • Sophronisba
    Sophronisba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Having this problem right now -- I'm going to make some coffee to see if that helps.
  • bejay23
    bejay23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A cup of tea helps me...and that's what I am about to make right now! Ugh...does anyone have 7pm pains. Those are the worst for me b/c I try to eat dinner by 5, and then at 7 I get stuck b/c I feel like I am hungry again...
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I practice "defensive eating": try hard not to ever get too hungry. Midmorning I often eat a piece of fruit. Midafternoon I eat something more substantial. Maybe peanut butter on Wasa bread, or a hard boiled egg and some fruit. Some protein, some carb and some fat.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I only have protein snacks so I can't do junk. Protein bar or cottage cheese are what I usually have. Other good protein choices are Greek Yogurt and some cheeses like string cheese in small amts.

Good Luck, You can do It!
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I feel real hungry (pangs) if my lunch is very lite. Today, I ate a decent lunch (around 500cals) with grilled chicken, green beans and 1/2 cup of wheat berries&orzo. So, I feel like I am not going to be hungry until 4 or 5pm. Next time, I would advise you to have a filling lunch and go lite on dinner. Also, you shouldn't be starving at 3pm. I wonder how you can function at your job/etc if you have genuine hunger pangs ?

Anyways, to help solve your current problem, here is a goto and satisfying snack - 1slice WW toast w/2tsp lite PB +1tsp fruit preserve/jam OR apple w/lite PB. Yummy!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals a little smaller earlier in the day, so you have some calories to alot to an afternoon snack. I eat breakfast around 9, lunch around 12, and a snack around 3. Then dinner whenever I get home. I haven't felt hungry in forever.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals a little smaller earlier in the day, so you have some calories to alot to an afternoon snack. I eat breakfast around 9, lunch around 12, and a snack around 3. Then dinner whenever I get home. I haven't felt hungry in forever.

And to add to this, try to make your snacks a combination of healthy protein, fats and carbs. Ex: cut veggies with peanut butter, whole-grain crackers with cheese, nuts & fruit... you get the picture! I find when I do this, it keeps me more satisfied than when it's all carbs (just fruit, just popcorn, etc.)
  • beenmb
    beenmb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes me too. I find I can fairly easily put off eating lunch so instead of eating lunch around noon I hold off until 2 or so. Now I'm not hungry from 3-5 or dinner.
  • jleegirl
    jleegirl Posts: 44
    Options
    Fiber One bars. 130 calories....Super filling and delish...
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here hungry and do not know what to do. I do not want the apple I brought and I know I should not eat ANYTHING in the vending machine. SO, I will continue to drink my water (and pee every 20 freakin minutes) and deal until I leave at 5.
  • sharifikim
    sharifikim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here hungry and do not know what to do. I do not want the apple I brought and I know I should not eat ANYTHING in the vending machine. SO, I will continue to drink my water (and pee every 20 freakin minutes) and deal until I leave at 5.

Yes I have had to force myself sometimes too. But if you can manage to get a bit of light cheese with that apple next time or a bit of peanut butter it will be more statisfying. I've had to really space my calories out so I can afford better snacks or else we are looking at a hostage situation in the break room if you know what I mean!
  • asaxena84
    asaxena84 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks very much. I usually have dinner around noon and today I had only a veggie salad with no dressing. Probably thats the reason I'm so hungry. I will try a combination of protein and carbs.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much. I usually have dinner around noon and today I had only a veggie salad with no dressing. Probably thats the reason I'm so hungry. I will try a combination of protein and carbs.

Yup! healthy protein, carbs and fat (don't forget healthy fat! it's very important!!) with every meal is a good rule to follow. If you can build it into every snack, too, that's even better.
  • Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    special k bar :)
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Right now, I'm starving. I'm afraid when I get home I'm going to totally pig out while making dinner - I need some control!
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple and string cheese or a chobani yogurt and and apple. It's good stuff and lasts me till dinner time and after my workout.
  • ladybugh
    ladybugh Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been trying carrots or a banana and drinking tea. But haven't quite hit the magic thing to tide me over yet.