Love sugar.....but want to lose weight. Help!!!

Options
Hi, I am new here and wanted to ask those of you who love sugar, how did you stop? I need to lose 25 pound and I do okay with my eating except mostly Friday to Sunday and when I get a craving for sugar. I have no portion control and will eat a whole bar of chocolate or pint of ice cream. I also work out 30-40 min about 4 days a week so I know I cannot exercise those calories off. Help!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I didn't stop eating sugar, but the cravings have subsided since I introduced portion control and a healthy and varied diet of fresh tasty foods, eaten as meals.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I didn't stop, I just limit myself to what will fit within my calorie/macro/micro goals. Usually I have one serving of ice cream or chocolate per day. And with time I've found that I enjoy that a lot more than when I just mindlessly ate all the sweets.

eta: I'm also a lot pickier about my ice cream and baked goods now. lol
  • scentered
    scentered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I stay away from refined sugar products, one day at a time, as I am certainly a 'sugar-addict', and have been since I was a young child.
    I have never know the concept of 'having enough', and when I eat a bar of chocolate, piece of cake, etc., it simply causes a demand inside me for more, more, more. One piece of chocolate is too much, as then a hundred pieces are not enough. I just don't have a 'stop' switch once I start. Apart from the obvious weight gain, and diabetes risk, which results from this over indulgence, I find that I end up having a 'sugar-crash' - no energy, low mood, unproductive etc. as they say "what goes UP, must come DOWN!"
    So, for me, if I don't take the first bit of chocolate, then I won't fall into a binge!
  • acplata
    acplata Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will try, and I know I also need to find other things to keep myself occupied because I look forward to my weekend to eat the sweets....almost like they make me happy.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd sometimes save calories for the weekends. Also, I'd pre-log 10/20% of cals for the unexpected first thing in the morning because my partner loves his sweets etc on the weekend and I'd never know what would walk into the house. I'd put it down initially as "quick add" calories and then record it properly after I indulged. The rest of the day was focused on nutrition.
  • laurenjk15
    Options
    I made it a goal to have my favourite sugary treat on a Friday, which was my treat day, and then I kept myself away from the sweet isle in asda for the rest of the week while I ate the healthy foods
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit equals weight loss, so all things in moderation.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    acplata wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I will try, and I know I also need to find other things to keep myself occupied because I look forward to my weekend to eat the sweets....almost like they make me happy.

This is the problem--you've given yourself permission to eat sweets on the weekend. They are just days like the others. Try to do something new on the weekend to keep you out of the house. Give yourself permission to eat a small treat one day a week. Luck. :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    acplata wrote: »

I had to just quit eating that stuff entirely. However, some people do fine with moderation. But either way, I think a weekend hobby is a great idea for replacing the chocolate happiness. If your weekend fun involves getting out and moving, even better!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I went cold turkey with refined carbs and added sugars for two weeks. (The South Beach Diet Phase 1 looks a lot like what I did).
    Then I re-introduced whole grains, and then bought a dark chocolate bar and had a couple of squares of that. But I never went back to eating much candy, or pastries etc, or refined carbs.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Actually I did that too...as Sabine says... Until I could trust myself to not go crazy. Half the time I realised I was just eating certain foods for the sake of eating them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Actually I did that too...as Sabine says... Until I could trust myself to not go crazy. Half the time I realised I was just eating certain foods for the sake of eating them.
    Yup. I realized after a while that some of the things I used to eat, I didn't really like any more. It's SO much easier to not want a snickers and krispy kreme donuts. Much too sweet now.
  • troyindallas
    troyindallas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Use the 3 bite rule! You lose most of your satisfying comfort after three bites. The first bite of decadence is outstanding and it drops to less than noticeable by bite four (science studies prove.) I include some enjoyment everyday, but very managed and I don't feel like I lost a thing. I have lost over 40 lbs doing this since December and I workout less than you. I love banana bread, cookies, etc. I place small 3 bite portions in the freezer for a daily treat in small freezer bags. I use to pull one out daily, now I only pull them out once a week, because the cravings have subsided. It really works. Try it. I also bought Reeses Peanut Butter Cups because I was craving Chocolate when at the store, I told myself they were for tomorrow, so I put them in a drawer. It didn't bother me, because I knew they were coming.....they have never left the drawer.....and that was weeks ago. The cravings really do subside as you replace with good filling clean food.

Good luck!
  • acplata
    acplata Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Will definitely try some of your tips. Will keep you posted