Need to link app with HRM? (polar H7 + Boxing)

Options
Just got the Polar H7 chest and HRM (thanks Amazon deals), and my question is you need an app to record HR workouts? I thought MFP would just link and record calories burned. And I missing something? Otherwise I guess it's just 1st world laziness (another app, double entering workouts) which shouldn't be a deal breaker. I found map my run syncs nicely with MFP, but am gonna check out a light app called "Heartrate" for the HR zones etc. Which apps do you use? Or do you have your HRM directly linked to MFP? Thanks!!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Polar doesn't link to mfp. Why not just create a custom exercise and enter the calorie amount after every session?
  • chriscruz83
    chriscruz83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Polar doesn't link to mfp. Why not just create a custom exercise and enter the calorie amount after every session?

Sounds like the way to go! MapMyRun for ease it seems, and it's already installed and linked. Thanks!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Boxing is entirely the wrong kind of exercise to be using HRMs with, if the goal is somewhat accurate burn estimates.
  • chriscruz83
    Options

Thanks!! Tried it for the first time today, not a huge deal manually entering the calorie burn into MFP!! (Probably burned 2 calories doing the typing!!)
  • chriscruz83
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Boxing is entirely the wrong kind of exercise to be using HRMs with, if the goal is somewhat accurate burn estimates.

How so? I'll add that it is a boxing interval circuit, (shadow boxing, double end bag, heavy, speed bag and jump rope) while wearing the HRM. Why would the calorie burn be inaccurate?
  • chriscruz83
    Options

Also, it is a chest strap HRM, not a bracelet if that was your basis. Let me know!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

How so? I'll add that it is a boxing interval circuit, (shadow boxing, double end bag, heavy, speed bag and jump rope) while wearing the HRM. Why would the calorie burn be inaccurate?

HRMs don't measure calories, they measure heart rate and guess at calories. Interval-y type exercises almost always result in highly exaggerated burn calculations from HRMs. There are a million MFP threads explaining why, the search function will bring them up.

:drinker:

TL;DR heart rate and calorie burn don't correlate with each other, HRM will significantly over-estimate burn numbers.
  • chriscruz83
    Options

HRMs don't measure calories, they measure heart rate and guess at calories. Interval-y type exercises almost always result in highly exaggerated burn calculations from HRMs. There are a million MFP threads explaining why, the search function will bring them up.

:drinker:

TL;DR heart rate and calorie burn don't correlate with each other, HRM will significantly over-estimate burn numbers.

Well then!! The workout is what matters. Thanks!! When the weather is good in the NE guess the calorie estimate will be better on the outdoor runs!!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Try downloading the Endomondo app. It will link to your heart rate monitor and also to MFP. It has a boxing section and will figure your calories and tell you how much of your work outfit into each heart rate zone.

I am not sure how accurate it is, though. It told me I burned over 900 calories on my weight training session, today. I think I probably only burned about half of that.
  • chriscruz83
    Options
    dave4d wrote: »
    Try downloading the Endomondo app. It will link to your heart rate monitor and also to MFP. It has a boxing section and will figure your calories and tell you how much of your work outfit into each heart rate zone.

I am not sure how accurate it is, though. It told me I burned over 900 calories on my weight training session, today. I think I probably only burned about half of that.

Thanks!!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi! I've got the same HRM. It links with the (free) Polar Beat phone app to certain smart phones by using Bluetooth. Set up your body stats and link the HRM to the app. The Polar Beat app will run on its own, recording different workouts (there is a list to chose from). You can log in with a free account, and with a free online accout on the Polar training website, you can sync and manage your workouts on any computer. Not sure how they work on a tablet, never tried.
    Also, by using the smart phone's GPS, you can map your runs.