wedding dress blues...

Options
Help! I'm trying to fit in my wedding dress but its too cold in central PA to do anything outside...I'm a 5ft 2 22 young lady who needs some help trying to get my physical activity in while trying to wedding plan and working at a northern Chick fil a....this app has helped with my food and an app I discovered called sleepbot helps with my sleep now I just need the PT :( please help

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to stick with a reasonable food plan, move as much as you can doing things you like, and buy a dress that fits you.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm also in central PA, and this weather is terrible. but there are a ton of workout videos on YouTube, like fitness blender, that you can do inside in your own house without any extra equipment. I use those sometimes, although i also have a cheaper elliptical in my house and a membership to my local YMCA.

Netflix also has some workout videos, if you have Netflix.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Also, i don't know anything about your goals, but the best thing you can do with a wedding dress is get it altered to fit you closer to your wedding date (if you found a style you love but it's not the right size) or just buy a dress that fits better. Crash diets won't do anything but set you up for failure, so be sensible and have patience.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Northern NY, so I totally get it. Youtube is an amazing source of free videos. Fitness Blender, Xhit Daily, Yoga with Adrienne (she has a 30 day challenge that starts with super beginner stuff),etc. There are tons. You can even find the 30 day shred and other "plan" type videos.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing is what gyms are for.

Planning to exercise outside in a place where the climate is always cold and snowy is planning to fail.
  • reginab1984
    reginab1984 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are so afraid to get outside and exercise in cold weather. If you're doing anything even half way strenuous (which you should be, if your goal is to exercise), you will warm up in a matter of minutes. Not to mention the plethora of cold weather workout apparel that's on the market. I've heard it said that there's no bad weather, only bad gear.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and congrats on your summer wedding.

You want to lose 12 pounds, which isn't much. I suggest you just eat at a moderate calorie deficit to lose .5 pounds a week. It won't come off easy because you have very little to lose.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen, exercise in the gym (or outside). You don't have to exercise to lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are so afraid to get outside and exercise in cold weather. If you're doing anything even half way strenuous (which you should be, if your goal is to exercise), you will warm up in a matter of minutes. Not to mention the plethora of cold weather workout apparel that's on the market. I've heard it said that there's no bad weather, only bad gear.

Sometimes it's not a question of "cold." There can be wind chill advisories/warnings and whiteouts where it's not safe to be outside for any length of time, or even (at least in my town) where the cops ticket anyone they see on the street. When the snow is a foot and a half deep on the sidewalks and the shoulders/parking lanes are filled by plow piles and the county gives its park trails over to cross-country skiing, where am I supposed to walk and run, please? Some people have Reynaud's syndrome or other cold sensitivities that make it dangerous, not just unpleasant, to be outside for long enough to get in a workout. Sometimes that winter workout gear, and especially the process of figuring out what works, can be intimidating and too expensive.

I'm not saying any of this does or doesn't apply to the OP. And of course a midwinter outdoor workout can feel AWESOME, at least when you're done. Just, there's no need to be moralizing and superior when you don't know the whole situation. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Welcome, and congrats on your summer wedding.

You want to lose 12 pounds, which isn't much. I suggest you just eat at a moderate calorie deficit to lose .5 pounds a week. It won't come off easy because you have very little to lose.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen, exercise in the gym (or outside). You don't have to exercise to lose weight.

All of this!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

exactly. going out for a walk in the cold outdoors is FUN!! You get to wrap up all snug, and have to keep moving so as not to freeze so the motivation thing is sorted for you.

AND once you're done, there's nothing nicer than finding a pub with an open fire and indulging in a hot chocolate....
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

That's good advice is we're talking freezing temperatures, but if it's -40 and the skin will literally freeze on your face within five minutes, no amount of gear makes that comfortable. Just saying.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm not running on the roads when the roads are already cramped and still covered with ice and snow. My area of town doesn't have sidewalks, so its road or nothing. Not a problem normally, but definitely not an option right now when the cars barely have enough room to pass one another.

By the way, I'm in Worcester, MA and we're currently topping the charts for the most snow in the country.

It's times like this that I'm glad I have a treadmill. I hate the treadmill, but its better than getting hit by a car.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    If you like dancing, check out Dance Fitness with Jessica. I think she is on YouTube. Awesome routines that will have you sweating like nobody's business!!
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy your dress to fit you now... Then have it get sized.
    I ordered my wedding dress in August when I was 15 pounds heavier and a size 10.
    I am now down to a size 6 and sent out to get it switched out for my new size.
    Most places will do that unless its damaged.
    If you already bought it definitely start in the kitchen, though.
    And start early and don't stress yourself too much, because that might cause stress eating which won't help!
    Congrats with the wedding and have fun!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Some people have Reynaud's syndrome or other cold sensitivities that make it dangerous, not just unpleasant, to be outside for long enough to get in a workout. )

I never see this mentioned. I was diagnosed with this back when I was a teen, and it's awful! My extremities can get bone white in bad flareups. Time for this cold weather (and all the storms in my area...just finished #4!) to go away!
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I used to be a wedding dress designer and I can not tell you how many brides ruin their big day worried about how they look in their wedding dress. The worst is when they say "Don't worry, I am going to be a size 6 by my wedding day." Then, the night before the wedding I would be ripping out seams to fit a size 14 body. Enjoy your day no matter what size you are. You are in love, and he loves you no matter what. You will be the most beautiful you can be if you are happy. Congrats to you on your wedding.
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point... but when I walked outside to leave for work it was 2 degrees with a wind chill of -18. Could I run outside in that? Probably. Would I derive any enjoyment whatsoever? Not a chance. I'd much rather just throw a 1-2%grade on the dreadmill and suffer on there for a day. Cold is one thing, weather like this is another... warming up in this means only that the sweat freezes on you as soon as you warm up enough for it to form.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I like winter, too, and I am a fan of going out and exercising in winter weather, provided you pick the right activity and wear the right gear. I'm a skier, and I also like walking, snowshoeing and skating.

BUT... having said that... when it's minus-37 with the windchill, even I'm not that insane. That's what indoor workouts and gyms are for.
  • christyj0725
    christyj0725 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and since I've posted this I've lost about -6.2lbs I'm in the lower 140s and it feels good not sure yet if I fit in my wedding dress but it really did start in the kitchen and now that it's not 20° anymore here in central PA and back to normal weather I can actually go hiking with my fiancé and a little bit more outside! Still waiting for warmer weather but this will do for now. Thanks so much for helping!