I want to eat sugar

Options
I can use some tips for getting the addiction to sugar away. And I just eat and eat I have gained 7 lbs in the recent eat athons. Any one have some solutions?

Replies

• csliberty
    Options
    Hello - this is my problem too - exactly ! I do not know of a cure other than pure will power, which is almost impossible to maintain. The cravings will go away if I am eating super healthy, high fiber foods, exercising regularly, and feeling mentally positive, but eventually I give in to temptation, and the cycle starts all over again. Supposedly eating sweet fruits can help fill the void, but that is not a guarantee. Sorry I can't really help, other than to give support and say I am with you in your struggle! Good Luck!
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know your pain. I've been on a sugar binge myself (had cake and coffee for breakfast this morning after an eat-a-thon weekend). I have just realized that my desire for sugar typically stems from a lack of sleep and/or being bored or inactive. I always do this sort of thing on the weekend when my routine is different. So, my plan for dealing with this better in the future is to get the junk out of the house, so I'm not tempted, stay on my regular sleep schedule on the weekends, and plan an activity or something to prevent mindless recliner eating.
    It is such a struggle... I wish I could be one of those people who can eat sweets in moderation, but I'm not. One piece of cake just makes me want another. I'm going to have to stay away from it and not give in to temptation. I've had success with this approach before, but I get lazy and give in and find the scale going up instead of down. No more! I can do this! You can, too!
  • sansaeverdeen
    sansaeverdeen Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I kicked a massive sugar addiction. I had to have at least 2 chocolate bars a day and could easily eat a pound/400 grams of chocolate in one day on really bad days.
    There is no secret. You have to just cut to the chase and stop eating it. Embrace the pain and really believe that it will get better, because it does. I don't crave it anymore. You take it one day at a time. A relapse is okay, just get back on track. The more you eat it, the more you'll crave it.

A tip that helped me is eating cinnamon jolly ranchers slowly and buying protein bars with NO sugar in them. Think Thin was the only brand that had zero sugar and zero effect on my cravings. After a while I stopped wanting those too.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    csliberty wrote: »
    Supposedly eating sweet fruits can help fill the void, but that is not a guarantee.

I wish I could find the article to help. A few years back, Men's Health magazine had a chart of which fruit to eat for particular tastes of candy. I gave it a try, and their suggestions actually worked.

For example, if the article said (I can't recall exact information, I'm just trying to show how this worked) eat blackberries for a craving of Skittles, and it did actually taste pretty close.

Maybe someone with better google skills than I can find it. ;)
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A sugar addiction is just like any other addiction (cigarettes, etc) -- it's not going to stop until you cut it out completely and then wait out the withdrawal period.

What I did at first was switch out sweets and soda for healthier options...fruit with honey, flavored yogurt, juice. Dates, plums, and grapes are all great options. After about two weeks, the cravings should stop.

I haven't had ANY urge to drink soda for about four years. I occasionally have sweets but can now eat a serving and stop.

All it comes down to is self control and patience.

Good luck! :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I find that if I plan my day around eating to meet my macros and if I include some sweeter items like vanilla yogurt and fruits I crave sugar less. I often crave sugar when I am just hungry in general, bored, or thirsty. I allow myself a sweet treat if I meet my nutritional goals. I do not think a life with NO sugar would be enjoyable or sustainable. Managing it rather than letting it manage me is not easy...but it's easier if I eat nutritionally dense foods and am not hungry.
  • JDownie91
    JDownie91 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So, this is definitely something I struggle with! My birthday was last month, and the day after my birthday I decided that when all the birthday treats were gone, I would do a 7-day sugar fast. I had some time to mentally prepare, and then for 7 days didn't eat any added sugar or sweet items, but fruit was fine and if something contained sugar (like my cereal) that didn't matter. In those 7 days I learned that my willpower is stronger than I realized it could ever be. I lost 3.5 pounds. Then when the 7 day challenge was over, I eased back into eating sugary foods but soon discovered that I was back to an out-of-control level of sugar. So, I am starting again, this time for 10 days. I would love to just do no added sugar except on special occasions, but I often validate "special occasions" and end up having sugar on any old day I feel like having it. So its definitely still a work in progress!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't understand why there are so many threads about sugar and sugar "addictions". Don't bring big bags of sweets in the house (for now), don't order donuts at the bakery for lunch (if it doesn't fit your daily calorie allowance), have something sweet every day in moderation.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    It's like any other topic...I see a lot of repeated topics here. It ebbs and flows like the tides. LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    It's like any other topic...I see a lot of repeated topics here. It ebbs and flows like the tides. LOL

I guess..But the sugar ones go on for pages and pages.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It could be mostly water weight... carbohydrate binges cause the body to retain water.

1) Stay away from "sugar free" snacks, which contain sugar alcohols, which are still going to trigger any sugar "addict". Don't eat them until you know you can control your portions with them.

2) Try focusing on increasing your protein and fat intake. Calories from these sources are known to satisfy hunger, thereby diminishing any cravings you might have. Jerky, cheese, lunch meat, nuts, nut butters, greek yogurt, Kind bars (some have only 5g sugar), etc.

3) Aim for healthier substitutes for sugar, as previously mentioned by others. Fresh or dried fruits in limited amounts could be the answer to your sweet tooth, and contain natural sugar.

4) I heard a great quote the other day, "Rule your mind or it will rule you." I don't know if that resonates with you, but it really stuck with me. YOU are in control of what you decide to eat. Your cravings do not get to dictate what you eat! Hunger is a feeling that we have more power over than we give ourselves credit. You have the strength to feed your hunger with better alternatives. You can do it!