Running

Options
Just started training again for a 10k in May. I HATE running but I LOVE the feeling of having finished a run!

Anyone else got a love hate relationship with running?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I love everything about it.

Except being injured. :(
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

No.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

No.

:cry:
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I always hate starting my runs, I feel energized while I run, and then I feel so tired and worn out afterwards until I eat something lol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Just started training again for a 10k in May. I HATE running but I LOVE the feeling of having finished a run!

I think you'll find many runners feel that way at least once in awhile. During a run I sometimes wonder what the heck I'm doing and why I'm doing it but I've never once regretted a run after the fact.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I always hate starting my runs, I feel energized while I run, and then I feel so tired and worn out afterwards until I eat something lol.

I hate starting, I hate running, I like the last 50 metre sprint finish! And I LOVE the high afterwards, especially if I get a new PB!
  • JaggedFel37
    JaggedFel37 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find that my attitude toward running vacillates over time. Right now, I'm kinda bored with it, so I'm doing something else. With that said, I do enjoy running. All aspects of it.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    yeah the first 10 minutes of nearly every run i spend in a hate fueled monologue telling myself i should just jack it in and go home, then i get in a the zone and everything is good
  • JaggedFel37
    JaggedFel37 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    yeah the first 10 minutes of nearly every run i spend in a hate fueled monologue telling myself i should just jack it in and go home, then i get in a the zone and everything is good

Nailed it with this perspective. I do the exact same thing.

• TavistockToad
    Options
    I think maybe music would help me....?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Music helps. You might also try an app like Zombies, Run!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options

absolutely, i wouldn't get anywhere if i didn't have music, that's one of the things i love about running i being able to switch off and just enjoy listening to music without any distractions
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I don't much enjoy the first ten minutes or so, after that I can kep going for a good two to three hours quite comfortably.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

It helps me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Depends where I am, and what type of session I'm doing.

Sprint intervals then I don't bother with anything audio as the bpm would disrupt my focus. I'f I'm running in urban areas otherwise then music can help to block out the distractions.

If I'm doing an LSD in town then audio books can be quite good.

Trail running, I don't bother with anything again.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I love running.. Outdoor or treadmill but would definitely prefer outdoor any day (or night) of the week!

I went on a 16 Mile run at 3am a couple of days ago (I work nights, it's when I feel the most energetic!) and even though there was a little haze and the occasional drop of rain.. The feeling of being outdoors and able to go where I pleased, that made every second awesome!!!

I honestly think that it's all about finding your motivation for whatever exercise you enjoy, when you find that motivation.. even when you sometimes question keeping going, you'll draw strength from the thing that motivates you!

All the best,
    Adam
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I successfully finished my first ever half marathon yesterday after only 9 months of training.

I have done two 10K races last year and signed up for quite a few more this year. Having a goal helps me a lot.

I always run alone and with music. If I am somewhere in a city, away from home, I make goals to run from the place where I stay to e.g. a museum/exhibition...killing two birds with one stone. I train and at the same time I do sight seeing. The other day I was in London, running to and from the Tate, a total of 18 km.

Anyhow, running is now part of my nearly daily goal and I have learned to love it.

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I don't like the first 0.5 mile. My muscles scream for me to stop, my chest feels like im a smoker on 60 a day and my dodgey hip feels like a 90 year olds. I have a battle with my internal monologue.... You need to stop... No i don't.... Why you doing this..... Because I want to be fit... Etc

Once my muscles are finally warm i finally slip into a comfortable pace. My troubles melt away and all i have to worry about is making progress and pushing myself just that little bit harder.

As for music without it I'd struggle. The BPM of the music pushes me on. When i start waining I put on eye of the Tiger.... Rocky mode I call it lol

As a side note I can't stress how important good running shoes are. When I ran years ago I ran in split manky non brand trainers. I hated every minute of it and eventually gave up. When I started this year I got myself a pair of New Balance. The difference is black and white. No more shin splints or painful knees. In fact at some points of my run feel like I'm running on a cloud... And that's before a runners high lol

Shaun.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    That's the thing, now I have a race to train for I am 100% motivated! Got DOMS from yesterday's run which I am loving as well!

I have good trainers - new balance as well actually!