Love handles and diet question.

Options
im really trying to get a toner looking stomach. My main are is my love handles I'm not sure what types of excerise to do to get rid of them and I'm not sure what foods to stay away from. I'm up for any advice. I heard to stay away from carbs but I wasn't sure if that was true. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    There is not a specific exercise you can do to lose love handles. They are fat. You have to lose fat by eating at a caloric deficit. There are no foods to avoid, as long as you are keeping in your deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    There is not a specific exercise you can do to lose love handles. They are fat. You have to lose fat by eating at a caloric deficit. There are no foods to avoid, as long as you are keeping in your deficit.

This!
  • Gelly27
    Gelly27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks im new to the whole trying to lose weight life style I've been dieting for about 2 weeks now. I'm not really sure if I want to really lose weight but more like tone up.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Gelly27 wrote: »
    Thanks im new to the whole trying to lose weight life style I've been dieting for about 2 weeks now. I'm not really sure if I want to really lose weight but more like tone up.

Well, you have to choose your goals and do one at a time. If you want to get rid of fat (love handles) you have to lose fat (what you are calling "weight") but sticking to your calorie deficit. "Toning up" is not really a thing. You can lose the fat and reveal the muscle you already have.
  • Gelly27
    Options
    Awesome thanks for that. Never really thought about it like that.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Gelly27 wrote: »
    Awesome thanks for that. Never really thought about it like that.

That's the science of it!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

^^ This. Plus I want to add that you cannot spot reduce fat. Your body will pull it where it wants to pull it.
  • katiely95
    katiely95 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with everyone above. I've been losing weight for almost two months now (lost 20-ish pounds) but, I'm not seeming to lose much from my love handles. I've lost it from my legs, and the fat around my rib cage, but not where I really wanted to target. lol. I feel your pain completely. I know I will just have to keep going until I get the results I want. Good luck! :D
  • arditarose
    Options
    katiely95 wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with everyone above. I've been losing weight for almost two months now (lost 20-ish pounds) but, I'm not seeming to lose much from my love handles. I've lost it from my legs, and the fat around my rib cage, but not where I really wanted to target. lol. I feel your pain completely. I know I will just have to keep going until I get the results I want. Good luck! :D

Love handles seem tricky! I have never had much fat there, but mine gathers in my thighs. After losing 27 pounds my thighs have finally gone down 2 inches but they're still thick as hell.
  • Gelly27
    Options
    katiely95 wrote: »

I know it's crazy I can't lose fat everywhere else but when it comes to my midsection I'm just stuck so I figured I was doing something wrong but I'm sure I still need to adjust my diet plan that I have.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This would also be a good time for some weight training. It will help preserve your muscle mass which will give you a leaner look. Also, make sure you aren't setting an aggressive weight loss goal, like 2 lbs a week, if you have little to lose.